Poojah
November 14, 2022, 10:27am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,883
Gold Stars: 1,527
Quoted from pontoonlew

I’m saying other clubs have managed it. I’ll give you an example, Hurst said himself he turned down Umerah at Hartlepool. He’s gone on to score 7 so far in the second worst team in the league and is 8th in the goal scoring charts.

When and where did Hurst say this out of interest? Not doubting you by the way; I’ve just long thought Umerah would have been perfect for Town and have clearly missed that comment. He scored more than any Town player last season in a struggling Wealdstone side.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 47
ska face
November 14, 2022, 10:29am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,812
Gold Stars: 852
Quoted from 123614

Then you need to get yourself educated sonny.  Those listed have been the reason why many players have not moved, and that is a fact, heard from players own lips, in blogs, interviews and written media.  If you care to do your own research, you will see for yourself.  But as you seem to be some kind of sh!t stirrer who likes to try and belittle people on here, I guess you don't have the nounce.

Sounds like you’ve headed a ball too many times, you need to relax.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 47
Hagrid
November 14, 2022, 10:31am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,519
Gold Stars: 544
Quoted from Poojah

When and where did Hurst say this out of interest? Not doubting you by the way; I’ve just long thought Umerah would have been perfect for Town and have clearly missed that comment. He scored more than any Town player last season in a struggling Wealdstone side.

he said it in a recent interview with Matt Dean
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 47
Poojah
November 14, 2022, 10:32am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,883
Gold Stars: 1,527
Quoted from Hagrid

he said it in a recent interview with Matt Dean

Thanks. Will try and find it.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 47
Son of Cod
November 14, 2022, 1:21pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from pontoonlew

We’ve had more than enough time to fix this now

This is it for me. We're not talking about one window or two windows here. We're going into window five since PH came back. There has to come a time when we need to admit that it's not working on the budget that we've set for finding a striker. I'm fully pro-Hurst and behind him in pretty much every way and think he's done a superb job but there's no denying the fact that a fairly sizeable element of that superb job has relied on getting away with it. One surefire way of reducing that risk of having to rely on fortune is to bring better attacking options in. You can also say that in addition to his reluctance to take a risk on someone, he's always had a reluctance to spend. He works the transfer market like he's using his own savings. Definitely not a bad thing as he's great at unearthing gems and I'd rather he did that more often than going gung-ho on every signing but the current recruitment efforts with regards to finding a striker aren't working. And that's irrespective of whether or not you place value on the fact that he is clearly trying. While I might be coming across quit strong here, I'm less bothered about it than I was at the start of the season. I don't think we're going up or down this season and as much as I'd love to see a better option up top come in and start settling in prior to next season, I think it's also fine if it happens in the summer. But it needs to happen then and that's probably going to need to be in addition to finding an adequate replacement for McAtee. If we start next season with players even on the bench who are on par with where Pepple and Simmonds are at right now I'd be disappointed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 47
November 14, 2022, 1:41pm
Guest User
Quoted from ska face

Sounds like you’ve headed a ball too many times, you need to relax.

You never say anything sensible, do you?  You always want to have a go.  Still that's how little boys get their kicks!

Reply: 25 - 47
ska face
November 14, 2022, 1:48pm

Vodka Drinker
You need to calm yourself down.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 47
HertsGTFC
November 14, 2022, 1:59pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
The striker question is one that is a mystery to me.

PH can spot talent and from what we understand tracks it well in advance of making a move, JS did say they had someone decent lined up for a while in the last window but it fell through at the 11th hour, not by the players choice but by the supplying club. The deadline bit must make having a plan B very difficult.

I believe he's very systematic in the way he recruits with character and fit being important, which is right when you think of keeping a large squad happy. I would doubt that he is doing much wrong and the factors could be location, deal on offer etc.. It's also worth reflecting the play off's,

- Notts County A - Goals by Mani & Gav, 2 players from the last Jan window.
- Wrexham - Scorers McAtee , Waterfall, Mani and Taylor and a notable assist from Cropper all but Waterfall where PH additions.
- The final - Goals from McAtee and JMD, with some more Cropper assistance. Of those not mentioned above JMD was a PH add.

So that was then and this is now but we all know that PH is hard working and tries to do things the right way, sooner or later he'll get a striker on board, it's hard for some but we need to trust a manger who has given us 2 promotions, the first being propelled by goals from Podge and later that season Bogle.

In terms of funds, if anyone expects JS and AP to dig into their personal means to throw money at a striker then they need to just listen to what JS says about fincial stability and sustainability, it just won't happen. I would be sure though that there is a proportionate amount free still in the budget to bring someone in he could make a difference.

One final thing, though Saturday was bad we beat Plymouth the week before without having quite a few decent players completely fit or available but we did it because we have a deeper squad than ever before. The alternative is we have a highly paid goal scorer who sucks up the cost of 3 even maybe 4 decent players and we don't have the depth, not sure that works well, look at Chesterfield last year when Tshmanga got injured.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 47
ska face
November 14, 2022, 2:15pm

Vodka Drinker
I think the injury to Taylor will ultimately be beneficial in the long term as it’s going to force Hurst to address the situation and, hopefully, reassess the way the team sets up.

You can kind of understand how we ended up going into this season with the same system of a rather man and 3 behind, given the relative success we had last year. Given the failure to find a direct replacement for Taylor and the fact that McAtee will be gone at the end of the season, he might end up looking at a different set up, 2 up top maybe? Radical as it sounds.

The team behind the strikers, how we play and the quality of opposition is also totally different to last year and I think you can only really see that once you’ve spent a few months in the division with a settled squad. It all seems a bit square pegs & round holes at the minute, so at least Hurst has the best part of 2 months to look at things before the window opens.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 47
Son of Cod
November 14, 2022, 3:06pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from HertsGTFC
In terms of funds, if anyone expects JS and AP to dig into their personal means to throw money at a striker then they need to just listen to what JS says about fincial stability and sustainability, it just won't happen. I would be sure though that there is a proportionate amount free still in the budget to bring someone in he could make a difference.

They've been somewhat vague/wishy washy on this in my opinion. When they came in they said that there was money available for the right players but JS has also more recently alluded to a slight frustration regarding the expectance of expenditure. What are you referring to with regards to sustainability though? Last I remember hearing from them on this was that we'd be running at a loss for the foreseeable future? I've almost certainly missed something they've said regarding this, therefore more than happy to be corrected.

I'm not suggesting we go full Wrexham/Stockport and start plucking players from two levels above, merely just nudging whatever has been set aside for a striker up a bit.

Quoted from ska face

You can kind of understand how we ended up going into this season with the same system of a rather man and 3 behind, given the relative success we had last year. Given the failure to find a direct replacement for Taylor and the fact that McAtee will be gone at the end of the season, he might end up looking at a different set up, 2 up top maybe? Radical as it sounds.

One of, if not the, best strike partnerships at this level in recent seasons was Doyle and Yates at Swindon. McAtee is a very similar player to Jerry Yates, yet we've barely seen him alongside a traditional #9. I'd personally love to see it. I don't even think we'd need a particularly fantastic one alongside McAtee to see a flourishing partnership. It's a shame Andy Cook took that spot off Oliver at Bradford early on in the season as a successful loan bid for him in Jan would have been great alongside McAtee. As much as I like last season's and this season's team, it seems a shame that we'll have not really seen too much of McAtee in a side with someone who is a striker who can get in the box and finish consistently as I think we'd be so much more threatening going forward.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 47
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › A maximum high

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.