GollyGTFC
November 6, 2022, 9:36pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,065
Gold Stars: 359
Quoted from moosey_club
Regardless of the original post / rant ....there is an absolute bias towards Wrexham at the moment, similar to the Salford love affair a couple of years back......they are clearly not impartial...fawning over the circus by not only selecting their tie for TV (despite it being just a same divisional non league tie) and then going back to hold the draw for the next round at their ground too..

I was also admittedly a bit miffed at the highlights show today, despite d1cking the top ranked team in this round,  a division above us, we had no after mention or mini analysis .....that was sh1t.

You understand Wrexham are in Wales. BBC Wales give them loads of attention as you’d expect given they have only 4 professional clubs in the English league system to cover.

There’s no UK-wide BBC Wrexham obsession.

The FA Cup is all about the non-league clubs at this stage. If we had not been promoted last season and had beaten Plymouth we’d have got loads of coverages and possibly would have been a TV game.

But we’re in the EFL and that means the interest isn’t the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 20 - 53
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
November 6, 2022, 9:39pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.84
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,832
Gold Stars: 556
Quoted from moosey_club
Regardless of the original post / rant ....there is an absolute bias towards Wrexham at the moment, similar to the Salford love affair a couple of years back......they are clearly not impartial...fawning over the circus by not only selecting their tie for TV (despite it being just a same divisional non league tie) and then going back to hold the draw for the next round at their ground too..

I was also admittedly a bit miffed at the highlights show today, despite d1cking the top ranked team in this round,  a division above us, we had no after mention or mini analysis .....that was sh1t.

Strangely enough, the BBC (other TV channels are available…and guess what, they do the same thing) select the ties that they feel will have the most public interest and will attract the most viewers.

Salford are owned by a BVI company fronted by ex-Man U starlets. People are interested in that. Therefore the TV channels focus on them.

Wrexham are owned by one of the most handsome Hollywood actors and Robert McElhenney III. Guess what, the public are interested in that so the TV channels prioritise their matches.

South Shields are managed by a former European Golden Boot winner who has had a very successful hair transplant. Guess what? The BBC picked their meaty match against England’s ‘greenest’ club.

Grimsby Town are perceived (not by me) to be a dead end club in a dead end town and run by a guy who looks like Jason Watkins’ stunt double. We’re the sort of story The Guardian loves but The Guardian have no say on which football teams are shown on myriad TV channels around the country / world.

So maybe there is no conspiracy. Maybe TV channels select the matches that will generate the highest viewer levels. Maybe the BBC aren’t as left wing as people think they are.

It’s ironic that the very people who bang on about us being a huge club and our attendances being massive are the same people who start crying when we aren’t the feature match when we play and beat a similarly sized club to us in the Cup. That’s a small club mentality surely?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 53
November 6, 2022, 9:47pm
Guest User
Arthur Mullard was a wrong un.
Reply: 22 - 53
moosey_club
November 6, 2022, 10:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,318
Gold Stars: 229

Strangely enough, the BBC (other TV channels are available…and guess what, they do the same thing) select the ties that they feel will have the most public interest and will attract the most viewers.

Salford are owned by a BVI company fronted by ex-Man U starlets. People are interested in that. Therefore the TV channels focus on them.

Wrexham are owned by one of the most handsome Hollywood actors and Robert McElhenney III. Guess what, the public are interested in that so the TV channels prioritise their matches.

South Shields are managed by a former European Golden Boot winner who has had a very successful hair transplant. Guess what? The BBC picked their meaty match against England’s ‘greenest’ club.

Grimsby Town are perceived (not by me) to be a dead end club in a dead end town and run by a guy who looks like Jason Watkins’ stunt double. We’re the sort of story The Guardian loves but The Guardian have no say on which football teams are shown on myriad TV channels around the country / world.

So maybe there is no conspiracy. Maybe TV channels select the matches that will generate the highest viewer levels. Maybe the BBC aren’t as left wing as people think they are.

It’s ironic that the very people who bang on about us being a huge club and our attendances being massive are the same people who start crying when we aren’t the feature match when we play and beat a similarly sized club to us in the Cup. That’s a small club mentality surely?

I have no issue with not being picked for TV,  both sets of fans were completely underwhelmed with the draw so I wouldn't expect a tv executive to have got aroused at the prospect either.......but I did expect that a 5 goal haul against the top ranked team to have got at least a rise of an eye brow and therefore a mention at the after party that is a highlights show.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 53
Maringer
November 6, 2022, 10:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,680
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from moosey_club

I have no issue with not being picked for TV,  both sets of fans were completely underwhelmed with the draw so I wouldn't expect a tv executive to have got aroused at the prospect either.......but I did expect that a 5 goal haul against the top ranked team to have got at least a rise of an eye brow and therefore a mention at the after party that is a highlights show.

I agree entirely. It was the (joint) highest-scoring tie of the round with a lower division club hammering a team topping the table in the league above. It seems bizarre that there wasn't even a quick mention about such an unlikely result.

Perhaps the guy doing the edit is a disgruntled Lincoln fan and decided to do the bare minimum?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 53
TownSNAFU5
November 6, 2022, 10:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
Wrexham v Oldham being on live TV was an odd choice.  Both team NL and in the same division. Wrexham are at the top and Oldham at the bottom.  A comfortable home win was likely - no surprises then that this was the outcome.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 53
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
November 6, 2022, 10:54pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.84
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,832
Gold Stars: 556
Quoted from Maringer

I agree entirely. It was the (joint) highest-scoring tie of the round with a lower division club hammering a team topping the table in the league above. It seems bizarre that there wasn't even a quick mention about such an unlikely result.

Perhaps the guy doing the edit is a disgruntled Lincoln fan and decided to do the bare minimum?

In purely footballing terms it was interesting that a mid-table L2 side thrashed the L1 leaders 5-1.

However, when the draw was made, even I had to double check Plymouth weren’t in the same division as us and I hadn’t noticed them quietly ghosting their way to the top of L1. Likewise, the average MOTD viewer probably perceives Plymouth and Grimsby to be similarly sized, unfashionable clubs in the same division.

MOTD is an entertainment programme. In public interest terms the match was a virtual non-event between two nondescript, non-celebrity sides.

Now imagine if Kieran Green would have been outed as a cyborg last week. The first EFL footballer to identify as a nanotechnological robot. The FA/EFL, worried about discrimination against Nanomorphs, allow it to play.

Now there’s an angle. Now there’s a story. Now there’s the opportunity for a black and white trawler montage set to an Alfie Boe warbled sea shanty.

Fück Clem and Adam Virgo. You’ve now got Michael Owen chinooking in from Cheshire, Sam Matterface is dragging his carcass along the A180 and Susie Dent is fronting a Channel 4 show on the derivation of the Grimsby ‘S’.

That’s entertainment.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 53
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
November 7, 2022, 12:04am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +878
Gold Stars: 123
What does it matter if we are shown first or last, or discussed or not. We don't make any money from anything other than winning the match. Let them have a love-in over their favourite teams. We'll just get the job done. End of.

Nobody seems to have a good old moan when we are regularly shown in the last match on the EFL highlights. I think we are on 6 and counting this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 53
aldi_01
November 7, 2022, 6:49am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
This cryarsing from some every time a cup draw is made about the fact we’re never picked to be on TV is the epitome of small club syndrome for me.

Christ, if, by some miracle town found their way back in to the championship, the likelihood of being on TV increases, everyone would be moaning then about weird KO times and games being moved to ‘accommodate the tv types’.

I understand that perhaps a little more than a blink and you’ll miss it section would’ve been nice but in truth, our game did not stand out to anyone outside of the two clubs. A few well read football fans would’ve been surprised at the result but nothing more.

I’m annoyed that they’re heading off up to Wrexham for the draw rather than Chippenham or Alvechurch but let’s face it, the whole Wrexham/Ryan Reynolds thing is a story as far as the media are concerned, even though nothing has really happened yet.

We’ve got the sweet feeling knowing that the one game that was important, we copulated it.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 53
GollyGTFC
November 7, 2022, 7:40am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,065
Gold Stars: 359
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Wrexham v Oldham being on live TV was an odd choice.  Both team NL and in the same division. Wrexham are at the top and Oldham at the bottom.  A comfortable home win was likely - no surprises then that this was the outcome.

How is it an odd choice? You know how ITV generate the income to pay for them buying FA Cup rights?

Yes, advertising revenue. And as much as people on here seem to deny it, Wrexham after the takeover and documentary will attract a bigger tv audience & therefore higher advertising revenue than if ITV had picked Chippenham v Lincoln or Weymouth v AFC Wimbledon which were the pick of the non league hosting EFL not on TV matches.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 29 - 53
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The BBC hate us

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.