lew chaterleys lover
November 3, 2022, 9:06am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,781
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from DB

Hurst also took a downtrodden team from relegation to promotion and is now 4 points from League 2 play-off place. I'd rather him get through players and be where we are now than make fewer signings and still be in the NL.

As somebody posted Hurst is in the results business and points on the board are what he is judged by.

Of course he did and we are all eternally grateful but we are not talking about that.

We are not making enough chances or scoring enough goals and we are discussing why that might be.

Getting attacking, clever players in more advanced areas seems to be a good, if basic idea to me.

If our wingers are picking up the ball 60 yards from goal it is much less likely to end up in the opposition net.

If Macatee comes back he will drag the team up the pitch but we have to explore ways without him.
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 63
rancido
November 3, 2022, 10:29am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,660
Gold Stars: 102
Contrary to wacky conspiracy theories, Paul Hurst enjoys his job and wants to preserve it. The best way to do that is to win football matches. The easiest way to win football matches is to keep a clean sheet.

I don’t know JMD and Wearne personally so can’t comment on their respective attitudes but both of them strike me as better going forward than in reverse. In Wearne’s case, in the limited first team chances he has been given so far, his attacking threat hasn’t been consistent enough to negate his defensive limitations.

I’m expecting all of this sort of cräp over the next few weeks when so called England fans start burning effigies of Gareth Southgate because he refuses to pick James Maddison. On talent alone, Maddison walks into this England team but the one thing he’s reliable at is being a complete bell end. Maddison’s the sort of player who gets his manager the sack. I think it was the 5-2 thrashing against Brighton, Maddison gave the ball away deep in his own half, shirked a challenge then trotted back like an entitled Gen-Z cûnt, allowing Brighton to score their fourth or fifth.

Now, I’m not saying JMD and Wearne are like that but there’s usually a reason someone as level headed as Hurst doesn’t pick someone. You won’t have much of a career at Grimsby unless you are willing to work and chances are you won’t have much of a career full stop.

If the fans praise Effete and Glennon for their ability to go forward and be part of the attack then surely it's not too much to expect a winger, like JMD and Wesrne, to drop back and help the defence.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 63
Son of Cod
November 3, 2022, 11:48am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196
Yeah, I was proper buzzing when we signed Mackreth. Scored one of my favourite goals of the Conference Years Part I against Gateshead but that aside he was very disappointing.

I’m expecting all of this sort of cräp over the next few weeks when so called England fans start burning effigies of Gareth Southgate because he refuses to pick James Maddison. On talent alone, Maddison walks into this England team but the one thing he’s reliable at is being a complete bell end. Maddison’s the sort of player who gets his manager the sack. I think it was the 5-2 thrashing against Brighton, Maddison gave the ball away deep in his own half, shirked a challenge then trotted back like an entitled Gen-Z cûnt, allowing Brighton to score their fourth or fifth.

Sure you're not thinking of Marcus Maddison? James Maddison seems well sound every time I've heard him speak. Actually seems like a person and not a robot.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 63
mariner91
November 3, 2022, 12:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,770
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from Maringer
Mackreth seemed to somehow lose his pace after he signed for us, which was odd. Perhaps he'd picked up an injury the season before he joined us because he'd always looked pretty rapid when he'd played against us? Or, perhaps, our full-backs were always a bit slow!

Nielsen didn't even like football and decided a life of crime was a better option so perhaps not a surprise that Hurst couldn't get a tune out of him. Marshall had that purple patch but then never recreated it after he left us, or when he returned, for that matter. Vose disappeared into non-league football after he left us. At the time he was with us I said he had a lot of ability, but the team would need to play in a certain way to let him show it. However, I don't think he was really quite good enough to base a whole team around.

Ultimately, I think that if these players were having great careers after they left us, then it might have something to do with the environment at the club or Hurst's preferred style of play, but they simply haven't done so. It would be an almighty coincidence for all of them all to have individually struggled for reasons not relating to their actual abilities.

Other than the most surprising, game-changing cameo I've ever seen. Vividly remember him coming on against Braintree in the play offs and thinking "Well we've got no chance then". Cue him making an immediate impact and upsetting Braintree who had otherwise been pretty stable and the rest, as they say, is history.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 63
Limerick Mariner
November 3, 2022, 12:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,745
Gold Stars: 138

Of course he did and we are all eternally grateful but we are not talking about that.

We are not making enough chances or scoring enough goals and we are discussing why that might be.

Getting attacking, clever players in more advanced areas seems to be a good, if basic idea to me.

If our wingers are picking up the ball 60 yards from goal it is much less likely to end up in the opposition net.

If Macatee comes back he will drag the team up the pitch but we have to explore ways without him.

Surely this is "when" not "if".

He's played a Development Squad game - so that's full contact done. What is the typical timescale to a League game from that as a first 90 min run out? 2 weeks? On the bench v Stevenage, or even Donny?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 63
Poojah
November 3, 2022, 1:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,883
Gold Stars: 1,527
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

He's played a Development Squad game - so that's full contact done. What is the typical timescale to a League game from that as a first 90 min run out? 2 weeks? On the bench v Stevenage, or even Donny?

Expect a vague update from Hurst in today’s presser, which you’d expect will be available in the next 3 or 4 hours.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 63
lew chaterleys lover
November 3, 2022, 1:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,781
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

Yes of course but because he is Luton's player I assume they will make the decisions on when he will be available for selection in competitve games.

As Poojah says let's see if Hurst has any news this afternoon.
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 63
Mayaman
November 3, 2022, 2:43pm
Brandy Drinker
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,442
Gold Stars: 74
Comparing any of these lads to James Tilley at town is an insult.  Not only did he not track back, he often couldn't be arsed to run forward.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 63
Mayaman
November 3, 2022, 2:43pm
Brandy Drinker
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,442
Gold Stars: 74
Comparing any of these lads to James Tilley at town is an insult.  Not only did he not track back, he often couldn't be arsed to run forward.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 63
BobbyCummingsTackle
November 3, 2022, 5:05pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,320
Gold Stars: 309
Contrary to wacky conspiracy theories, Paul Hurst enjoys his job and wants to preserve it. The best way to do that is to win football matches. The easiest way to win football matches is to keep a clean sheet.

I don’t know JMD and Wearne personally so can’t comment on their respective attitudes but both of them strike me as better going forward than in reverse. In Wearne’s case, in the limited first team chances he has been given so far, his attacking threat hasn’t been consistent enough to negate his defensive limitations.

Now, I’m not saying JMD and Wearne are like that but there’s usually a reason someone as level headed as Hurst doesn’t pick someone. You won’t have much of a career at Grimsby unless you are willing to work and chances are you won’t have much of a career full stop.

Recently you've gone from amusing peddlar of surreal and offbeat humour to full on grumpy git.

Has the doc reduced your meds? Cost of living adversely affecting your sherry intake? Mrs Fosters Voles less accommodating in the boudoir of late?

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 63
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Wearne to Torquay

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.