Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back (I live in Stockport)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 253 Guests

Just Back (I live in Stockport)

This thread currently has 5,142 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Stockport Mariner
October 15, 2022, 5:58pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +553
Gold Stars: 8
Classic away performance, absorb the pressure and break on the counter. To be fair that was the 2nd half, I thought the 1st half we were dominant. Green really stiffened up the midfield and proved why he is a good signing. Richardson’s a good player but sacrificing a midfielder for him leaves us much more open. I thought Holohan/Clifton/Green midfield trio were fantastic, and while Hunt is a good player and was OK when he came on (and took his goal very well), he doesn’t have the combative presence of Holohan. The big difference today with this formation was that Taylor wasn’t as isolated as he was earlier in then season, with Kiernan, Khan and Clifton giving him good support. I agree with Kiernan lacking end product, but he has some pace and really stretched the Stockport defence today, creating space for others. Khan is brilliant, he can make things happen. Defence was solid and limited Stockport to few chances, not sure who was at fault for the goal, but Crocombe’s save at 2-1 was sensational! We are lucky to have him. No one had a bad game and I even thought the ref was OK.
Logged Offline
Private Message
WOZOFGRIMSBY
October 15, 2022, 6:09pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +9,024
Gold Stars: 190
I think that’s harsh on hunt. If he had some of the grey matter that Holohan has, then he would’ve been playing week in week out for Wendy.

I thought efete had his best game for a while and Clifton (imho) was MOM.

The support, considering it was an open terrace and slightly moist, we’re in fine voice.

The time wasting am not sure about but, it didn’t half p1ss off the Stockport support/staff/commentary

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 23
LH
October 15, 2022, 6:27pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,601
Gold Stars: 177
Didn’t go, watch or listen but that’s a marvellous result. We just need to find some home form now and we’ll be on our way up again.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 23
barralad
October 15, 2022, 6:34pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,299
Gold Stars: 127
For me that was exactly what makes Football League so special. First half we settled much quicker than normal this season. Defended very well- what a role model Waterfall is for the likes of Smith. Two goals on the break (the second one showed just how Clifton is riding on a confidence wave) and Stockport were on the ropes. Typically we let them back into it with a sloppy goal and Crocombe was then forced to redeem himself with a great block.
Second half Stockport threw everything at us. Crocombe pulled off an unbelievable save to keep us in front. Then we had the sending off. The tackle was late, high and well worthy of the card. To be fair to the home team it didn't really set them back and we indulged in some pretty shithouse time wasting. It's hard to criticise when it helped us win the game but I wish we didn't. Injury time of five minutes added to the six in the first half by the first ref I've seen this season intent on punishing it and the stage was set for Hunts clincher. At the full time whistle every Town player went to Crocombe knowing the value of that save at 2-1.
Just time for some ridiculous handbag posturing on the way back to the station where the residents of Stockport were treated to every song Town fans know whilst waiting for their train-40 minutes late. Already full when it reached Stockport. Absolutely crap service again from TPE.
On the subject of Town fans the 15 minute rendition of Paul Hurst's Black and White Army when the team had their backs to the wall was immense. All Town Are We.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 23
Rodley Mariner
October 15, 2022, 6:52pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,258
Gold Stars: 180
I hate petty, shithouse time wasting. An absolute scourge of the modern game.

Except when we're doing it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 23
BottesfordMariner
October 15, 2022, 6:54pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +13 / -2
Approval: +1,312
Gold Stars: 9
Watched on TV.

Yes the classic away performance. Deserved win. Soaked up some pressure and defended well and created a few opportunities.

Clifton my MOTM again. Proving to be a very effective player in the middle of the park. Another goal and got forward a few times. He could easily have had a hat trick.

16 pts out of 21 on the road is fantastic. Get some consistency at home and without getting too far ahead of myself maybe a run at the play offs is not just fantasy.

If we are still up.there come January maybe a key addition or two could put us over.

We are well set up and defend well. We have a bit of a threat going forward to nick a goal or two. I know we have scored 3 for 2 successive games but if we got a finisher who could clinically take some of these opportunities........
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 23
promotion plaice
October 15, 2022, 6:59pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,083
Gold Stars: 201
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
I hate petty, shithouse time wasting. An absolute scourge of the modern game.

Except when we're doing it.

Hurst said in as many words post match we need to match teams in all this shithousery, and rightly so.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 23
bobbyturtle
October 15, 2022, 7:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +29 / -4
Approval: +954
Gold Stars: 18

Icenian Prediction League 2015 (Game 2) winner
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 23
Spurn boy
October 15, 2022, 7:05pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,264
Gold Stars: 31
I thought that as soon as we scored the 2nd goal and we started to time waste it did us no favours and lost possession many times because of it. Ok we scored 3 goals and got 3 points away from home at a place that we would have have been pleased to get a point from before the game but time wasting did not work for us as it just invited pressure from Stockport until the sending off which was definitely the correct decision. After all I’ve said I’ve got to say Max Crocombe deserves an Oscar for his antics, to run half way up the pitch to speak to Ryan Taylor and then run back and have a discussion with a home fan behind his goal before picking the ball up and taking the goal kick was just class. UTM

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 23
pontoonlew
October 15, 2022, 7:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,098
Gold Stars: 181
3 goals scored for the second week in a row and the two performances couldn’t have been much different.

First 30 mins we had the better of them and they looked in trouble every time we went forward. In Khan we have a player who makes stuff happen and his two assists put us well in the ascendancy. Their goal was a scrappy one but you felt the away end deflate because of it and in the end we really needed half time.

Second half Crocombe pulls off a worldie and from that point we hardly gave them a sniff, the red card was nailed on but I’m surprised the ref didn’t send off any of ours, he seemed dead set on it. Hunts goal at the end felt like he’d just made it 2-1, away end went crackers.

Few points of note, Clifton, Holohan were good but Green was absolutely flipping everywhere, head and shoulders above anyone on the pitch. Kiernan looked much better today as well, not one player had a bad game.

Our away form is absolutely astonishing and if the home form improves we’re a play-off side. I’ve seen our home atmosphere criticised recently but today showed that if you give the fans something to cheer about they’ll give it in bucket loads, great atmosphere.

It’ll be poetic if that results in Challinor getting the sack.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 23
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back (I live in Stockport)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.