Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 21 years ago today... JEVONS!!!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 247 Guests

21 years ago today... JEVONS!!!

This thread currently has 1,312 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Yossarian
October 9, 2022, 4:45pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,097
Gold Stars: 19
Not seen anything on the forum but 21 years ago Jevons....Liverpool.... 120th minute.

Memories of that day?  Like a stoooopid nob I'd forgotten Grimsby were playing so literally turned on the radio 2 minutes from the end of extra time to suddenly hear a load a Grimsby fans on Radio 5 live!!

Probably the biggest "I wish I had been there" moments of my Town supporting life.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Les Brechin
October 9, 2022, 5:34pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,727
Gold Stars: 174
It was one of those moments when time stood still momentarily before us 7000 Town fans behind the goal realised what had actually happened. Then cue pandemonium.

[youtube]bRt1KMGYTe8[/youtube]

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 9
moosey_club
October 9, 2022, 9:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,325
Gold Stars: 229
Had the good fortune to bump into John Moore last night in Cleethorpes and he brought this anniversary up.

Apparently it wasn't awarded goal of the season by the video crew as the board were still in dispute / miffed over the Jevons contract dispute and they wouldn't sanction it so they made them choose another goal.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 9
TownSNAFU5
October 9, 2022, 9:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
An unforgettable experience.  Could not stop smiling driving home (with 2 speechless Liverpool fans)

The dramatic winner in  extra-time was a dress rehearsal for the play-offs last season (and Braintree).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 9
MrThirsty
October 10, 2022, 3:23pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +236
Gold Stars: 4
Had an eye operation that day so could not go. My future wife relayed the score periodically by checking teletext (amazing how things have changed in 21 years) but because of extra time it was left hanging at 1-1 and I had to wait until the next morning to find out the result! One of the most frustrating moments by firstly not been able to go then being left not knowing the result.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 9
Doctor Sanchez
October 10, 2022, 4:56pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +19 / -6
Approval: +638
Gold Stars: 1
I was working at sea back then and was off the west coast of Africa during this match.  I didn't know the result until the following day when it came via radiotelex and it was another couple of months until I was home before I finally saw THAT goal.  Must've seen it a hundred times since and it's still great to watch.  

Serial thread killer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 9
aldi_01
October 11, 2022, 6:47am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
A monumental evening. Hard to describe really, Roy of the Rovers stuff.

I remember we didn’t actually play that bad and we’re good for the draw. I actually remember people around me shouting ‘keep the ball’ because we were hurtling towards penalties.

Then his foot came back and the rest, as they say, is history. I’ve never seen an away section go as crazy as it did that night.

I remember my dad had a mobile phone, something that was still relatively uncommon and I believe I had one, a basic one at that. Dad rang mum to say we’d be very late back because of extra time and I remember her saying that she thought teletext had made a mistake.

Following day I went to see oasis at Manchester Apollo, their smallest gig since early 94. I remember standing in the queue with s newspaper and City and Utd fans talking about it. I showed them my ticket stub and didn’t buy another drink for the rest of the day.

I’ve watched the video so many times, great great memory.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 9
lukeo
October 11, 2022, 7:01am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,421
Gold Stars: 149
3things I remember from that night.
That goal.
Scouse kids offering to look after our car (and doing it well considering we left windows down by mistake)
And my mum almost being kicked out when mcallister scored the penalty (you can see her swinging her arms around as he scores right in the bottom corner)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 9
GYinScuntland
October 13, 2022, 12:18pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,253
Gold Stars: 98
Quoted from lukeo
3things I remember from that night.
That goal.
Scouse kids offering to look after our car (and doing it well considering we left windows down by mistake)
And my mum almost being kicked out when mcallister scored the penalty (you can see her swinging her arms around as he scores right in the bottom corner)

Once you'd paid them their ten bob you were guaranteed to have your motor looked after.
It was a nice little earner and they'd defend their patches and want no word of mouth putting off other visitors from paying.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 9
Les Brechin
October 13, 2022, 1:20pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,727
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from GYinScuntland

Once you'd paid them their ten bob you were guaranteed to have your motor looked after.
It was a nice little earner and they'd defend their patches and want no word of mouth putting off other visitors from paying.

Reminds me of the time we won at Newcastle in 92. We went down some side street near the ground and most of the houses wre boarded up. We found somewhere to park down there and then 2 young kids came out of one of the boarded up houses. "Look after your car for a tenner Mister?" Now back then a tenner was quite a lot of money, so we got back in the car and managed to find a space on the main road.

We parked there only to get back after the match and find all the cars down there with a parking ticket on them. I can't remember exactly how much the fine was now but it was definitely more than the tenner we could have paid the kids.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 9
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 21 years ago today... JEVONS!!!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.