Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Early Kick-Off?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 258 Guests

Early Kick-Off?

This thread currently has 3,235 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
The Yard Dog
October 3, 2022, 3:03pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,516
Gold Stars: 74
We recently upgrade to LED lighting which I guess saves a few bob, how much does it actually cost to run the floodlights for a home match? I would have a guess the that the money saved by switching games to earlier kick would actually cost the club in lost revenue.

We are talking hundreds of pounds max, not worth upsetting the apple cart.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 25
Mayaman
October 3, 2022, 3:05pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,442
Gold Stars: 74
Keep the games at 3pm and the players wear headtorches.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 25
Son of Cod
October 3, 2022, 3:05pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from diehardmariner
Vince's £100 quote has to come from the large use of sustainable/cheaper energy sources, surely.

Wonder what the cost is for those without wind turbines and solar panels.

Moving to 1pm KO's is a no-go, but we maybe need to evaluate these costs and what we can do to cut those (not just us but all clubs).

You'd assume that price was with Ecotricity. Sustainable/green energy is more expensive than the providers that most people have in their homes, so £100 per game is probably top end. It's not just floodlights though, so not sure why he's just focusing on that. Would be interesting to see how much energy a stadium uses on matchday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 25
October 3, 2022, 3:22pm
Guest User
From what I gather, the cost of floodlights differs between bulb and LED with the latter cheaper.

Dale Vincent may well be on the money when he states the costs.

My local grassroots club had floodlights installed in 20-21 and I gather the cost was about £15 per game without LED lights. I was surprised it didn't cost much more. Okay, they don't provide the lux required for EFL games but it makes me think we overestimate the cost of floodlights.

I'd imagine clubs would lose more money in away ticket sales and early starts would cost pubs and eateries a lot of money in lost sales. Most fans go straight home after a game. They won't be hanging around to make up for the time they didn't have for pleasantries before a game.

I was at an NCEL game last week and one of the inspection officials said that referees can ask for lights to be switched on for earlier match starts if they consider it necessary.

Given the lack of winter sunshine in the UK, you could kick off two hours earlier but heavy cloud or rain means floodlights are required anyway.

I suppose it is worth having a look at but I have my doubts.
Reply: 23 - 25
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
October 3, 2022, 3:24pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +880
Gold Stars: 123
I wonder if with GTFC's openness, they throw a figure out there for the costs of putting the floodlights on for 2 to 4 hours per match.

When I say 2 hours, that is for matches where it is still light at 4pm, with the match finishing at 4.50pm, giving an hour after the match for interviews and groundstaff to work on the pitch after the final whistle. The floodlights can be switched off, leaving the lights in the stands on for anybody still in the ground.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 25
GYinScuntland
October 4, 2022, 11:11am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,253
Gold Stars: 98
Quoted from 800
From what I gather, the cost of floodlights differs between bulb and LED with the latter cheaper.

Dale Vincent may well be on the money when he states the costs.

My local grassroots club had floodlights installed in 20-21 and I gather the cost was about £15 per game without LED lights. I was surprised it didn't cost much more. Okay, they don't provide the lux required for EFL games but it makes me think we overestimate the cost of floodlights.

I'd imagine clubs would lose more money in away ticket sales and early starts would cost pubs and eateries a lot of money in lost sales. Most fans go straight home after a game. They won't be hanging around to make up for the time they didn't have for pleasantries before a game.

I was at an NCEL game last week and one of the inspection officials said that referees can ask for lights to be switched on for earlier match starts if they consider it necessary.

Given the lack of winter sunshine in the UK, you could kick off two hours earlier but heavy cloud or rain means floodlights are required anyway.

I suppose it is worth having a look at but I have my doubts.

A very valid point well made.
Also for away travelling I often have to get a 5am choo choo and there's no chance of a 3am one so it would have to be hotels the day before on some games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 25
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Early Kick-Off?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.