lee65
September 30, 2022, 3:28pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,486
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

I don't think he 'forced' it as such, I just think some of our players are not at the same level as him.

I can see why he didn't work out at Oldham, because he clearly has a great eye for a pass, but Oldham had players that clearly wasn't good enough to see what he could.

He's a clever player, and I'm very excited about him.

Very fair point  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 74
Limerick Mariner
September 30, 2022, 7:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,746
Gold Stars: 138
Quoted from diehardmariner
Two defensive lapses don't happen and the scrutiny is well and truly off.

The first goal changed the game, up until that point it was open as hell.  The second goal just killed it completely.  

Problem for me isn't Taylor or even those around him.  Well, it is a problem to an extent but not the problem.  To my eyes the problem lies in midfield, which ironically was our strength a matter of weeks ago.    We were at our best when we packed the midfield with energy and more or less won games by making sure we were second to the vast majority of balls.  We pressed high with intensity and teams couldn't handle it, ultimately making mistakes or leaving space late on.

That meant our line-ups weren't spectacular, a midfield 3 of Morris, Green and Holohan is never going to produce a Ballon d'Or winner, equally so width from Clifton and Kiernan is workmanlike rather than exciting.  But it worked.  Morris was sitting as a third centre-back, which gave a lot of freedom for Efete and Glennon to bomb on, where I think their best work is done.  Holohan and Green pressed, pressed and then pressed some more with similar attributes coming from the lads out wide.  

Taylor was still isolated but because he had four players pressing a higher line, he wasn't as far away from support and the defenders had other things to occupy them rather than two of them wrestling him to the floor at a time.  

Now we've got a completely different system and midfield line-up.  Richardson/Simmonds operating in that no-mans land doesn't really help the midfield nor get involved enough in and around Taylor.  So we're a man down in the midfield battle straight away.  Hunt isn't the same type of player as Holohan or Green, not saying his lazy, but he's a different type of player.  He wants to get on the ball and create, not press.  The other two have the first instinct to get up and at someone, Hunt's first instinct is to see when he can get the ball and what he can do with it.  

A flat four across the middle and the lack of someone dropping deeper to create a back 3 limits the ability for the fullbacks to get forward.  Notably of late down the left.  For his critics Efete got down the flank a lot on Tuesday, but it did create gaps at the back.

In the absence of a striker who can work with Taylor effectively, I wonder if there's merit in returning to what was working.  Morris is out so maybe Hunt in that sitting role, I think he'll be better further forward but needs must.  Energy back in the middle of the park and back to what we do well.  

It needs progressing and I think Hurst tried to improve the quality of what we had (Hunt, Khan, maybe even the likes of Richardson), but perhaps too many steps too soon.  One step at a time, Khan in on one flank with Clifton on the other?

Didn’t see the game on Tuesday but when I saw the line up I did immediately think baby and bath water - hence my sarcky comment when someone posted that there’s goals in that team about the line up.  I think it’s kind of what you are saying here. In the games I’ve seen, apart from Orient, we’ve bossed the midfield from about 20 mins on with Morris, Green and Holohan. Suddenly none of them are starting.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 74
DaleH
October 8, 2022, 11:04pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +808
Gold Stars: 168
Quoted from DaleH
Why are people slating Ryan Taylor for heavens sake? And are people really taking issue with him not being  the 20 goal a year striker that we need?

Ryan Taylor is a classic Number 10, not a Number 9. He does great work in that 10 role, and if people cannot see that then frankly they must be be blind or lack understanding of what that 10 role is.

Why is it going so unnoticed by supporters, that we don't have a Number 9 in the building and that is the reason why we are lacking a goal threat. We've got Orsi, who with the fitness of McAtee and/or another nailed on No 9, would be a squad player. And we have two kids in on loan that we have taken a bit of a chance on.

Until we get somebody in, that PH wants to hand the No. 9 shirt to, then we are likely to amble along fairly well, but still lacking the firepower we need to put games to bed more often or not. But people, you have really got to stop making Ryan Taylor a bit of scapegoat for your frustrations, because you are judging him based on a role that he isn't really there to fulfil. He's not an out and out goal scoring striker in the No 9 sense of the game. Although to give him a bit of credit where credit is due, his league form recently is a goal every other game,.

Another good performance from Taylor in that 10 role. I agree with Hurst too, in a game with not to much sparkle, I’d put Ryan in there as one of the best performances today. Did everything that you want from your 10.

And if I’m not mistaken, that continues his run of form of a goal every other appearance, and for your 10, you can’t ask for much more than that.

Now let’s hope he gets that 9 to play with before much longer

"BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 74
Abdul19
October 8, 2022, 11:33pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,615
Gold Stars: 220
Is Taylor a '10'?

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 74
LH
October 9, 2022, 12:07am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,601
Gold Stars: 177
How much beer did I have prematch? Why is the Carlisle just back thread at the top?
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 74
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.