10 games in

This thread currently has 1,709 views. Print
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
BobbyCummingsTackle
September 27, 2022, 12:50pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,319
Gold Stars: 309
I'd have taken this after 9 games if you'd offered me it in July.

I do wonder why our home form isn't so great and it crosses my mind that the ground being close to full for every game gets to the players a bit - they feel under pressure from the expectation of the crowd?

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 16
friskneymariner
September 27, 2022, 12:54pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Perhaps we are too cautious at home,we need 2 wi de players who stay wide.Khan and J.M.D. are the answer.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 16
Poojah
September 27, 2022, 12:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,879
Gold Stars: 1,523
I'd have taken this after 9 games if you'd offered me it in July.

I do wonder why our home form isn't so great and it crosses my mind that the ground being close to full for every game gets to the players a bit - they feel under pressure from the expectation of the crowd?

I’ve wondered this myself; we have often underperformed in front of big crowds in the past. The weird thing is though is that we’re doing it for very run-of-the-mill mid-season games - the edginess and needle that would normally accompany a sold out BP hasn’t really been there.

I would imagine that Blundell Park hasn’t been an easy place to play for Town players in recent years, understandably to a degree. But whilst there will always be the odd dissenting voice in the crowd, it’s hardly been toxic.

I think the players would benefit from a taste of what BP can be like at its best. A good performance tonight along with some goals and 3 points would hopefully give them a healthy dose.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 16
OddShapedBalls
September 27, 2022, 1:52pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,195
Gold Stars: 40
I think people are looking at it the wrong way, at the start of the season I hoped and expected to be clear of the relegation battle, then build ambitions next season with some stability under our belts, so 10th with a game in hand exceeds all my expectations.  The bigger picture is that we are 10 points clear of the trapdoor with a game in hand over those teams.  Immediate further success would be nice, but does a second play-off run in 2 years really benefit us unless we go up?  It extends the season massively and delays the off season and next years planning.  I'd take an 8-10 finish now tbh, but obviously I'd love to go up.

I think we need to be realistic about the last game and the next few games too, we started with a threadbare squad playing out of their skins to be unbeaten in 7 and limited in attacking options,  then all of a sudden we not only have a raft of new signings and loanees but also several players back from injury all at once and they are mostly attacking threats changing the balance and how we can play - getting them into the team will disrupt what we've had but after a couple more games to get used to it we should hopefully see the lads push on and have another good run.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 16
Les Brechin
September 27, 2022, 1:54pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,726
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Poojah

If we can get McAtee back for the beginning of December we’ll have played 18 games with another 28 to go - almost two thirds of the season.

I think we’ve got a tough looking October ahead, with 4 games away from home and only 2 at BP, but if we can get to Christmas vaguely in touch I think we’ve got a real chance of having a go. By that point, we’d have established ourselves as a decent League Two side which I suspect might help us should we need to strengthen in the January window.

It’s early to be saying this but tonight’s game almost feels season defining in a way. A win and we’re on the cusp of the play-offs whilst a defeat sees us firmly in mid-table. Let’s hope we can pull something off.

On current form, surely that's an easy October?  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 16
out of town
September 27, 2022, 2:15pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.40
Rep Score: +0 / -2
Approval: +717
Gold Stars: 10
Shows how far this team has come when we’re sat in 8th and people are still disappointed.

All without John Mcatee. We struggled massively without him last season so progress has been made. Think we’re a different beast when he comes back
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 16
Jarmo.Is.God
September 27, 2022, 3:03pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
I understand people frustration when we lose a match, But the main thing is not to overreact, like some did.

Win tonight, and we're halfway to our total wins in that 20/21 season already...
At the start of Feb 2021, we had 21 points in 27 games.
We had 39? (I think) players play for us in that season.
We had no identity, no plan, and 100% no hope.

All of a sudden, we sit outside the play-offs, back in League 2
We have a solid squad, with good depth
Already 10 points above the relegation zone, and looking up, not down.
15 points after 9 games
We've regained out identity, we have a clear plan, and 110% hope for the future

Thank our lucky stars for the 2 owners and PH and enjoy the ride for the rest of the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 16
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 10 games in

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.