12 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
September 26, 2022, 12:01pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
I think Kiernan spends too much time occupying the same space as Efete. He's so keen to run back and do his defensive duties that they end up too close together; a problem that doesn't arise with JMD, who I think works better with Efete.

Of course, JMD won't track back as much as Kiernan, which is presumably why Kiernan gets the nod, but for me it's a failed experiment and needs changing, especially at home. I feel Efete is athletic enough to make up for the defensive shortcomings of JMD, a player who just makes things happen.

We may be a bit more vulnerable with JMD in the side, but we will be more threatening also. If Kiernan was producing, then no argument for having him in the side, but he isn't scoring or making goals. His end product just isn't there, whereas on Saturday, despite JMD not getting into the game much, he stretched their defence 2 or 3 times, brought a full length save out of the keeper and did one of those shoulder drops and changes of direction that completely threw their defenders.

I think PH sounded like he had lost a bit of patience judging by his post match interview and I expect there will be a shake up. I hope so anyway.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 119
diehardmariner
September 26, 2022, 12:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,716
Gold Stars: 543
Quoted from Bigdog
Who is this Cropper that everyone's talking about? Can't be the one we played last season. That one is ok defensively, not as quick as Efete, not as good in the air as Efete, can't beat a man, is not a good passer or crosser of the ball but has a long throw. Solid enough, but we certainly haven't got a Trent waiting in the wings. Efete's ceiling of ability is far higher than Cropper's but his confidence is low. For what it's worth, he wasn't even our worst full back on Tuesday, and with Smith's performance he was pushing Waterfall for being our best defender, although that was a low bar. He did check out a couple of times but we had no one in the box or just Taylor with four or five Swindon back. In the first half we were struggling for any possession, so instead of going on a fanciful run and eventually giving the ball away with a cross to no one, he probably did the right thing by settling the game down for us. He definitely looked better second half with JMD down his side, whereas Kiernan is a workhorse who flatters to deceive. And it was Efete that put in two extremely good crosses near the end, one that we nearly got an equaliser from. If you think long throw ins are the answer then great, but if you think a confident Michee Efete is far better than Cropper could ever be, then be a little fairer in your analysis. Reading this thread it seems to me that he's being singled out when over the past couple of games there have been several in a Town shirt that have given far worse performances than him, midfield and advanced wide areas especially. Green, Maher and Khan are going to play larger roles in our starting eleven going forward as are McAtee and Morris and that's going to help one or two others that are under par at the moment as our starting eleven becomes stronger and more like PH envisioned it as he put the squad together..

I think the concern for me is that of the attributes that Efete brings to the game, the ones that you state as making him a better option than Cropper, are ones that he isn't displaying at the moment.  

I think it's easy to pigeonhole Cropper as just having a long-throw, he's actually a fairly decent and solid defender to boot. He might not bomb on like Efete but I'd be quite confident that when you look at deliveries into the box that cause problems, he absolutely cake walks it.  Cropper's deliveries largely come from his throw, Efete's come from his pace getting him to the touch-line.  I'm not concerned with which attribute leads to the delivery if I'm honest, more the quality and frequency.

I think Efete will benefit from a break rather than a complete axing from the side.   But at the minute he's playing within himself and that's not helping anyone, least of all himself.  
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 119
diehardmariner
September 26, 2022, 12:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
I think Kiernan spends too much time occupying the same space as Efete. He's so keen to run back and do his defensive duties that they end up too close together; a problem that doesn't arise with JMD, who I think works better with Efete.

Of course, JMD won't track back as much as Kiernan, which is presumably why Kiernan gets the nod, but for me it's a failed experiment and needs changing, especially at home. I feel Efete is athletic enough to make up for the defensive shortcomings of JMD, a player who just makes things happen.

We may be a bit more vulnerable with JMD in the side, but we will be more threatening also. If Kiernan was producing, then no argument for having him in the side, but he isn't scoring or making goals. His end product just isn't there, whereas on Saturday, despite JMD not getting into the game much, he stretched their defence 2 or 3 times, brought a full length save out of the keeper and did one of those shoulder drops and changes of direction that completely threw their defenders.

I think PH sounded like he had lost a bit of patience judging by his post match interview and I expect there will be a shake up. I hope so anyway.

Good points that both you and BigDog make regards a potential bad combo of Kiernan and Efete.  

I've always remained cautious regards JMD as he simply doesn't do enough for me and I can see why Hurst has a lack of trust in him.  But that right flank has looked urine poor in recent games, something has to change.  Be it JMD, Wearne or Khan, all 3 look more likely to cut inside and give Efete that space to run into.  I just think he'll be a better player with a couple of games of.
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 119
ginnywings
September 26, 2022, 12:09pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
I think Cropper is injured anyway, so I expect Efete to start, and it will be interesting to see how he performs with a different player in front of him, if PH decides to give Kiernan the hook that is. He took him off on Saturday and we were better, so I expect there's a good chance that there will be a change of personnel.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 119
diehardmariner
September 26, 2022, 12:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Might have misheard it or even dreamt it, but I thought I heard Hurst say Cropper was back in training and close to a return?

But yeah, I'll be very surprised if Kiernan starts tomorrow night.  
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 119
quebec38
September 26, 2022, 12:31pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,588
Gold Stars: 48
I don’t think anyone is confusing Cropper with Dani Alves, but he’s steady at worst defensively and has a long throw that causes havoc and creates goals… which is more than Efete is offering right now. No doubt if the two were both on form I’d go for Efete, but he looks lost right now. He will come good again though I’m sure of it.

Can’t see us scrapping the 4231 tomorrow but I would like to see Taylor with a proper partner from minute one. Taylor and Pepple/Orsi then maybe swap Kiernan for Khan or JMD. I’m certain we can win tomorrow if we just give it a go and get players in attacking areas. I appreciate our style and we get results for the most part, but let’s really get at a team at home for a change, please.
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 119
MarinerDevil
September 26, 2022, 4:17pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,811
Gold Stars: 80
Quoted from diehardmariner
Might have misheard it or even dreamt it, but I thought I heard Hurst say Cropper was back in training and close to a return?

Hurst said today that Cropper will be back in training on Thursday.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 119
MuddyWaters
September 26, 2022, 4:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from diehardmariner

Is that Clifton and Glennon as wingbacks with Khan operating slightly ahead of Hunt and Green?

If so, I like the idea of that especially in the midfield.  My only worry would be how effective Khan can be in that central role when we've only seen two halves of him in wide positions.  Even last week I said I couldn't see a deviation from a back four because of how effective it has been.  Part of that, was the ability of our fullbacks to influence the game from deep.  That hasn't happened for a bit which arguably negates the need for a back four.

That’s exactly what I was thinking. Khan at the front of the three could still get into the wide areas turning into a 3-4-3 when we go forward.
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 119
pontoonlew
September 26, 2022, 4:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,098
Gold Stars: 181
Quoted from Bigdog
Who is this Cropper that everyone's talking about? Can't be the one we played last season. That one is ok defensively, not as quick as Efete, not as good in the air as Efete, can't beat a man, is not a good passer or crosser of the ball but has a long throw. Solid enough, but we certainly haven't got a Trent waiting in the wings. Efete's ceiling of ability is far higher than Cropper's but his confidence is low. For what it's worth, he wasn't even our worst full back on Tuesday, and with Smith's performance he was pushing Waterfall for being our best defender, although that was a low bar. He did check out a couple of times but we had no one in the box or just Taylor with four or five Swindon back. In the first half we were struggling for any possession, so instead of going on a fanciful run and eventually giving the ball away with a cross to no one, he probably did the right thing by settling the game down for us. He definitely looked better second half with JMD down his side, whereas Kiernan is a workhorse who flatters to deceive. And it was Efete that put in two extremely good crosses near the end, one that we nearly got an equaliser from. If you think long throw ins are the answer then great, but if you think a confident Michee Efete is far better than Cropper could ever be, then be a little fairer in your analysis. Reading this thread it seems to me that he's being singled out when over the past couple of games there have been several in a Town shirt that have given far worse performances than him, midfield and advanced wide areas especially. Green, Maher and Khan are going to play larger roles in our starting eleven going forward as are McAtee and Morris and that's going to help one or two others that are under par at the moment as our starting eleven becomes stronger and more like PH envisioned it as he put the squad together..

It’s the same Cropper who played a massive part in our successful play off campaign (and quite a few games before that too).

One of his throws is worth 90 mins of Efetes current threat going forward and it’s not like he’s miles behind him defensively.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 119
Lincoln Mariner 56
September 26, 2022, 6:23pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,773
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from pontoonlew

It’s the same Cropper who played a massive part in our successful play off campaign (and quite a few games before that too).

One of his throws is worth 90 mins of Efetes current threat going forward and it’s not like he’s miles behind him defensively.

We are not going to have much threat unless we get more players in the box when crosses do come in. Efete put in an excellent cross in the first half which for some reason Clifton didn’t appear to go for and the only other player in the penalty area was Taylor. Probably explains why we are scoring so few goals.

Be interesting watching how Carlisle approach tomorrow nights game as in the abandoned fixture I noticed they left three men upfield when we had a corner which is a very unusual and bold approach.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 119
12 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.