Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Papa Johns ticket info.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 261 Guests

Papa Johns ticket info.

This thread currently has 3,776 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Poojah
September 20, 2022, 1:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,899
Gold Stars: 1,527
Quoted from jimgtfc

Cash, in exchange for changes to a failing minor cup competition. Only 66.6% of league one and two clubs voted in favour of retaining the current checkatrade / johnstones paint cup format in 2017. That’s a far cry from the 100% required to make changes to the league system. 2 completely different things.

Of course they're different, but that doesn't make it an impossibility. There are two basic forces at play in this scenario; one is money and the other is clubs' fear of reprisal from their fan base and the subsequent loss of income that would bring about.

As soon as the former outweighs the latter then we have a situation where dev squads in the EFL system is possible. I wouldn't want to take the risk of assuming it never will be, nor would I want to act in a way that would support the idea that fan reaction would be manageable.

Money always talks in football, sooner or later, and revenue at the highest level is growing at a much faster rate than in the lower echelons. We may have to agree to disagree, but personally I feel your outlook is blasé and a tad naïve.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 31
HertsGTFC
September 20, 2022, 3:25pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,018
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
We could do with dialogue with mr stockwood on this matter . He’s clearly getting some serious respect in the football world in a short space of time and throw some weight behind the undoubted problem this competition could potentially cause to the football pyramid

He’s already said he doesn’t think it’s right to have B teams in this competition. Not sure he can do much more TBH.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 31
louth_in_the_south
September 20, 2022, 4:43pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,714
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from jimgtfc

Cash, in exchange for changes to a failing minor cup competition. Only 66.6% of league one and two clubs voted in favour of retaining the current checkatrade / johnstones paint cup format in 2017. That’s a far cry from the 100% required to make changes to the league system. 2 completely different things.

If the PL threatened to stop solidarity payments they can demand  what they want unfortunately

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 31
jimgtfc
September 20, 2022, 6:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,104
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from Poojah

Of course they're different, but that doesn't make it an impossibility. There are two basic forces at play in this scenario; one is money and the other is clubs' fear of reprisal from their fan base and the subsequent loss of income that would bring about.

As soon as the former outweighs the latter then we have a situation where dev squads in the EFL system is possible. I wouldn't want to take the risk of assuming it never will be, nor would I want to act in a way that would support the idea that fan reaction would be manageable.

Money always talks in football, sooner or later, and revenue at the highest level is growing at a much faster rate than in the lower echelons. We may have to agree to disagree, but personally I feel your outlook is blasé and a tad naïve.

Fair comments mate, and of course the tides of the sea can turn. Maybe my view is more of a short term one then, in terms of I just can’t see the league set up changing any time soon.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 31
ginnywings
September 20, 2022, 7:09pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from jimgtfc

This boycott nonsense needs to stop now. Absolutely zero point in it now, 3 or 4 years of boycotting has done no good whatsoever, they still have the competition format they wanted. If fans don’t like the competition or don’t fancy watching under 21 PL teams, then they can make their individual choice not to go, and that’s fine, but this peer pressuring, almost shaming of fans who do attend is certainly not necessary.

And the wedge is driven in a fraction more.

Where is this bullying taking place that you speak of? I'm not aware of any, unless it's on social media, which I don't partake in, fishy aside.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 31
Deckhand
September 20, 2022, 7:10pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Approval: -130
Gold Stars: 3
So after 3 years of a so called boycott what's it achieved 🤔 all I've seen_read is about B teams but there's NO B teams just u23/21 teams or have people missed something 🤔
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 31
Poojah
September 20, 2022, 7:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,899
Gold Stars: 1,527
Quoted from Deckhand
So after 3 years of a so called boycott what's it achieved 🤔 all I've seen_read is about B teams but there's NO B teams just u23/21 teams or have people missed something 🤔

Semantics. Top flight clubs don’t have ‘reserves’ or ‘B-teams’ any more, they have under-23s or development squads. Premier League 2 (the division where most top academies compete) rules permit the selection of a small number of senior players per game, as do those of the Papa John’s Trophy. It’s the same thing, but then you know that.

What it’s achieved is to serve as a reminder to the decision makers that EFL fans won’t accept PL second string teams in their pyramid, and that’s really important.

The Premier League will know that they could afford to offer more attractive financial incentives for inclusion in the regular league season as well as the fact that fans will inevitably find it more difficult to boycott league games were that to come to fruition.

It really is vital that fans, by and large, don’t waver in their stance on this competition.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 31
Humbercod
September 20, 2022, 7:35pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,503
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Poojah

Semantics. Top flight clubs don’t have ‘reserves’ or ‘B-teams’ any more, they have under-23s or development squads. Premier League 2 (the division where most top academies compete) rules permit the selection of a small number of senior players per game, as do those of the Papa John’s Trophy. It’s the same thing, but then you know that.

What it’s achieved is to serve as a reminder to the decision makers that EFL fans won’t accept PL second string teams in their pyramid, and that’s really important.

The Premier League will know that they could afford to offer more attractive financial incentives for inclusion in the regular league season as well as the fact that fans will inevitably find it more difficult to boycott league games were that to come to fruition.

It really is vital that fans, by and large, don’t waver in their stance on this competition.

Absolutely! Nudge techniques pure and simple, we are in a battle of greed v tradition, once accepted there’s no going back, keep up the boycott.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 31
jimgtfc
September 20, 2022, 7:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,104
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from ginnywings

And the wedge is driven in a fraction more.

Where is this bullying taking place that you speak of? I'm not aware of any, unless it's on social media, which I don't partake in, fishy aside.

I personally don’t think there is a wedge though mate. I didn’t say bullying, purposefully because it does fall short of that. Clearly there are a lot of people who throw the word boycott about, and that’s absolutely fine if that’s their opinion, but it’s not mine and I’m just as entitled to say that as much as anyone, but come on mate, you see it on here every time one of these bloody games comes up, anyone who suggests anything other than boycott is shot down.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 31
moosey_club
September 20, 2022, 7:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,325
Gold Stars: 229
Quoted from Son of Cod

Now is the time to boycott more than ever, the Premier League shareholders are holding a meeting this very week to discuss how they can move forward with plans for clubs in Europe to play their youth sides in the League Cup and how they can implement the scrapping of FA Cup replays in the third and fourth rounds.

Exactly this 👏

Trouble is i have heard peoole already getting excited about the prospect of the Man City b team u23 women's reserve team fixture we have coming up.  
Thin edge of the wedge....as the latest Future Plan proves.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 31
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Papa Johns ticket info.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.