2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Bristol Mariner
September 12, 2022, 5:50pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
Interesting, Liverpool's game I imagine off unofficially as they'll boo the national anthem?

https://news.sky.com/story/premier-league-to-return-this-weekend-but-two-games-postponed-12695933

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
supertown
September 12, 2022, 6:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,471
Gold Stars: 53
Liverpool are playing in London, no police left, that’s y it’s off . Not sure why Man U is off
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 19
Abdul19
September 12, 2022, 6:29pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,615
Gold Stars: 220
Ooh Brentford Arsenal going ahead, good news for my fantasy league team.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 19
September 12, 2022, 6:38pm
Guest User
Quoted from Abdul19
Ooh Brentford Arsenal going ahead, good news for my fantasy league team.

Better news for me! I have a Bees ST and had my travel arrangements sorted for Colchester and then down to London overnight. UTM and COYB

Just as well given it us now a 12pm KO

Reply: 3 - 19
Poojah
September 12, 2022, 6:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,869
Gold Stars: 1,523
Quoted from 800

Better news for me! I have a Bees ST and had my travel arrangements sorted for Colchester and then down to London overnight. UTM and COYB

Just as well given it us now a 12pm KO

Each to their own, but I'll never get my head around this two team thing, especially not to the extent of having a season ticket at another club (if indeed Town is your 'first' team).

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 19
Withnail
September 12, 2022, 6:58pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 36
Presumably all three games have been blackballed as potentially problematic in terms of crowd disorder and therefore bad for the Premier League's image at this moment in time.

Liverpool will no doubt provoke Chelsea by booing the national anthem/not observing a minute's silence, who'll then respond with: "Always the victim, never your fault"...Bin dippers...etc...

I imagine the Met will be mightily relieved this one's not going ahead with everything else going on in the capital.

United v Leeds is always a cultured and civilised day out with songs about the Munich disaster, Jimmy Savile, while Brighton v Palace can get norty, weird rivalry that it is.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 19
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
September 12, 2022, 7:05pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.84
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,832
Gold Stars: 556
Quoted from Withnail
Jimmy Savile, while Brighton v Palace can get norty, weird rivalry that it is.

Oi, that’s our new King’s former best mate (and almost Harry’s godfather) you’re talking about!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 19
supertown
September 12, 2022, 7:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,471
Gold Stars: 53
Brighton v palace was off before the queen died , due to the rail strike . Not sure y it can’t be back on
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 19
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
September 12, 2022, 7:34pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.84
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,832
Gold Stars: 556
Quoted from supertown
Brighton v palace was off before the queen died , due to the rail strike . Not sure y it can’t be back on

It would take time to organise putting it back on again.

Plus, there’s no way Brighton would agree to play the match now given they’re at least one potter short of a jugmaker.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 19
September 12, 2022, 10:01pm
Guest User
Quoted from Poojah

Each to their own, but I'll never get my head around this two team thing, especially not to the extent of having a season ticket at another club (if indeed Town is your 'first' team).

Town is my first team but I lived in west London for a long time. I have a share in a Brentford ST but can pick as many games as I want. I went to Newport ahead of the Brentford v Leeds game for example.

I originally had a BFC ST from 1996 to 1998 when it wasn't possible to travel to many Town games from London due to the effects of severe liver damage caused by drinking to excess at our away games (and the rest of the week in the end as things got worse). My friends all liked a drink before games and good for them but it was too stressful to be around them. Brentford was on my doorstep and I'd been going regularly over the years.

I bought another BFC ST along with a group of friends for the 2020-21 season in January 2020 (as they had priority to select seats for the new ground) because I didn't want to give Fenty any more money for a number of reasons. We got shot of him and the BFC ST was frozen so we had new owners and I could also watch PL football when restrictions were lifted.

I wasn't going to renew it in March this year as required because of the priority I gave to Town but my friends were keen for me to stay around so we have this arrangement. There are no home fixture clashes this season. There were four in 2021-22 and I passed on three Brentford home games and Town v Bromley because I knew we'd be s***housed in the latter having attended the away fixture.

I've been watching Town for 43 seasons (and have been a ST holder since 2004-05 when I moved back up here barring 2006-07 and 2020-21) and the Bees for 33 when I wasn't watching Town. I've retired and am out to have as much enjoyment as possible. I'd had  some extremely testing years even before Covid when it was impossible to plan much because events always meant I had to cancel arrangements. I'm making up for lost time.  I also get to see my friends when I travel to London including those who are part of my recovery journey. I can't put a price on that.

On the occasions when the two sides have played it has always been Town for me. No danger of glory-hunting. We were both in the basement when that last happened!

Small world though.  The fan to the left of me used to play squash regularly with Clive Wigginton.

Reply: 9 - 19
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Premier games this weekend

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.