Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
Definitely an age thing for me it would now be

Scummy (but can't count them)
Lincoln narrowly over
Hull

But when I started supporting them hull would have been top
Cant see it as a rivalry now they are quite literally out of our league.

The Yorkshire clubs like Barnsley and donny yeah it's a bit of added spice but we wouldn't register for them as rivals so it's not the same, whereas Lincoln and scunthorpe hate us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 78
ncfc_chalky
September 5, 2022, 9:21pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +422
Gold Stars: 58
Quoted from Poojah

Thanks, I’ll stick it in my Poojah star jar.

Very good Poojah,I didn't notice until you pointed it out but an excellent reply
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 78
Wedidntdidwe
September 5, 2022, 11:30pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +380
Gold Stars: 22
Hull are a perfect example of local rivals as opposed to a club we have an actual rivalry with. We've only played Hull twice since 1989 and both were in the FL trophy so not really a footballing rivalry.
Age, location play a part in who we see as rivals. As an exile the teams I desperately wanted to beat were those supported by people locally..Wolves, Stoke, WBA  while we were playing lots of Yorkshire and Midlands clubs higher up the league
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 78
oochiad
September 6, 2022, 12:08am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,724
Gold Stars: 28
For me in the eighties and early nineties it was the Yorkshire clubs Barnsley Rotherham Sheffield clubs. We hate Yorkies  etc etc………
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 78
Kris2
September 6, 2022, 1:48am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
Always growing up it was Yorkshire clubs that was most fiercely hated, particularly Sheffield clubs as they aren't far away and came over in numbers. Hull mostly for local and political reasons with the whole Humberside thing, being close but quite different and not wanting to be in the same county as Hull and have it considered big brother like the politicians wanted.

Lincoln was probably more of a recent thing when we found ourselves in the same league for a long time but can consider that a local rivalry. I'd say our biggest rivals are still Yorkshire clubs due to them being still close by and the often local dislike of people from the area who regularly come to the beach for local holidays.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 78
mimma
September 6, 2022, 2:10am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,580
Gold Stars: 78
I'm old enough to remember going on the ferry across the Humber to watch us play Dull. There was, and still is, a certain animosity towards the city of Kingston Upon Hull, on the south bank. Not so much the other way, but if you come to Grimsby and mention Hull, there will always be a resentment towards them. It goes way back and is more than just football, Grimsby dockers, Grimsby fishermen, and then the dreaded Humberside. When we played them back then, it was well tasty on and off the pitch. The only way to get there was to get the train to New Holland pier, and then the old paddle steamer across the Humber. Welcoming committee waiting in the pubs around the ferry terminal. Then getting the train to Boothferry Park, which had a train platform in the stand, straight off the train to the turnstiles. To me it was a proper rivalry, not just playing the nearest club and calling them rivals, more like the Merseyside derby, or North London derby.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 78
lukeo
September 6, 2022, 5:20am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,421
Gold Stars: 149
Every girl private
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 78
Phil the cod
September 6, 2022, 6:44am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +5 / -5
Approval: -332
Gold Stars: 61
Scunny,scunny,......and more scunny, hate everything about them and the place, Lincoln a close second, not bothered a about hull, they don't view is as rivals and be all the lads I know from hull consider Leeds as the club they hate.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 78
aldi_01
September 6, 2022, 7:15am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I guess there’s a debate over what constitutes a rival. Is it in relation to rivals in terms of what we’re aiming to achieve or is it just teams we don’t like like.

Most of my life it’s been the Yorkshire clubs, particularly both Sheffield teams. Then we had a spell of playing Lincoln so many young lads regard them as a derby.

We’ve played scunny s few times and they’ll always be a rival but can’t be for the sake of this research.

Hull is the one for me, every cup draw I beg for Hull away. It’s s multi faceted hatred I guess.

I guess this season one could say that Donnie, Mansfield are the closest thing to a rivalry but again, I don’t really care. They’re just localish away days.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 78
Maringer
September 6, 2022, 7:19am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,682
Gold Stars: 189
Our oldest rivals are clearly Lincoln. We've been playing each other reasonably regularly for over 140 years!

We've also played them a lot more than other local clubs in recent decades as Scunny had their moment in the sun and we've toiled around the bottom division.

It has occurred to me that I can't remember ever watching us play Hull (and I'm almost 50!).probably saw a game at some point when I was a kid but that's a long time ago. I do, however, remember always having a chuckle if Hull had lost games in years past. My Dad really doesn't like Hull after working there on and off in the 70s and this has obviously rubbed off on me to some degree! Scunny were just never on my radar and I simply don't care about them now, just as I didn't care about them when they were three divisions higher than us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 78
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Grimsby's Rivals

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.