3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
WOZOFGRIMSBY
August 30, 2022, 6:21pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +9,028
Gold Stars: 190
How about this mr deadpool. Any money made by ANY club in that league is all pooled together and split equally between EVERY club that has agreed to the streaming on a pro rata basis throughout the season

That way, you are helping both the supporters of your club and also clubs that don’t have the 6000 (or whatever) season ticket holders you are fortunate to have.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 25
ginnywings
August 30, 2022, 7:09pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Rightly or wrongly, I think live streaming of games will eventually become the norm.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 25
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
August 30, 2022, 7:34pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +876
Gold Stars: 123
What was the situation with streaming during the season of no fans? Was every game streamed including Saturday 3pm kick offs?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 25
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
August 30, 2022, 11:25pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,698
Gold Stars: 72
My idea would be this, you can only stream games in the uk by buying a season ticket. As an exile myself but within the uk, id have happily taken that deal. It means if you own a season ticket and have to be elsewhere for games you can still watch it. But if I was back in grimsby I could get to a game, or if a big away game ended up being close to me i'd have a better chance of being able to go. Basically turns season tickets into an all inclusive club membership, and could be more of a community thing meaning more than just a ticket to get into matches.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 25
BenBB
August 30, 2022, 11:47pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +842
Gold Stars: 30
My idea would be this, you can only stream games in the uk by buying a season ticket. As an exile myself but within the uk, id have happily taken that deal. It means if you own a season ticket and have to be elsewhere for games you can still watch it. But if I was back in grimsby I could get to a game, or if a big away game ended up being close to me i'd have a better chance of being able to go. Basically turns season tickets into an all inclusive club membership, and could be more of a community thing meaning more than just a ticket to get into matches.

What would you do for exiles who would then buy season tickets then aren't able to make any games because of location? Don't want the empty reserved seats because of that.

You'd probably have to make the seats opt-in where you confirm you want your seat before the game. Not ideal for our elderly fans though who would struggle with an online system and wouldn't want to have them having to ring the ticket office maybe twice a week each.

Maybe a system domestically similar to like now where you can pay for the entire season streamed (as is for international viewers) or a hybrid system like the 1878 membership where you have a similar thing domestically but then you can buy a seat at a discount with that subscription?

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 14 - 25
lukeo
August 31, 2022, 7:17am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,420
Gold Stars: 149
To be fair there is plenty of football on throughout the week and even weekends so people who just want to watch football can easily. If they want to watch their team (Grimsby for example) its obviously a shame.
I'm not against the 3pm black out as much as id love to be able to watch town every week ... but until it's trialed I guess we'd never know if it would effect attendances.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 25
lukeo
August 31, 2022, 7:20am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,420
Gold Stars: 149

Im not too sure about that, if you offered a streaming season ticket half the price of a physical season ticket I'd definitely consider it (say it's £300 to go, charge £150 for a streaming one)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 25
bradzmilne
August 31, 2022, 7:42am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,433
Gold Stars: 30
I think the removing the 3PM blackout, could be disastrous for lower league football.

The second it’s streamed live, you’ll always find a stream somewhere. I think the vast majority of us now could watch town on a Saturday in good quality, even now. The more “mainstream” you make it, the more people it’s going to entice.

You’ve also got to remember, once the blackout has been removed it’ll never be reinstated, they’ll be no going back. I was very surprised to see it return post-COVID but I assume there was contracts to honour etc. If 8 months down the line attendances have taken a hit, it will be too late.

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 25
Lost in Lincoln
August 31, 2022, 9:02am
Formerly siy2k5
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +388
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from TonySmith
  The Premier League receives very good coverage in the US and has well and truly permeated into the consciousness of even the casually interested. But now, people in the US are suddenly aware of Wrexham FC and the fact that there is a whole pyramid structure of independent professional and semi-professional clubs in England below the Premier League. This has to be a good thing. Allowing people in other countries to stream games at national League level is hardly going to impact attendances on a Saturday afternoon in the UK! Will the National League be smart enough to find a way to profit from it? We'll see.

I think we all know the answer to that...

I watched 'Proud to be Town' the other night, which showcased what a joke the NL hierarchy are.

First game: 7/5/88 Aldershot (h) 1-1 (R)
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 18 - 25
pen penfras
August 31, 2022, 10:44am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from davmariner
I don't buy the argument that streaming means lower league clubs lose out in terms of gate receipts - at least anything more than negligible (and cancelled out by exiled fans who otherwise wouldn't make matches, paying for match passes and subscriptions).

Besides, the mentality of lower league fans is different. They want to go to matches as a starting point and more than likely have the option to given ticket availability.

For us, you're probably right, but for teams with a big Premier League club nearby, they would lose a huge amount of fans. I know people who are Salford and Rochdale season ticket holders, but support Man Utd. If the choice was watch Man Utd on tv or go in person to the match, they choose the tv every time. Lots of clubs would be crippled if the blackout was removed as it currently stands.

I suspect what may happen is Premier League matches are never at 3pm on a Saturday so they can all be televised and then everything below can be streamed with less impact on the smaller clubs. Possibly some sort of revenue share like they did during Covid so that the home team doesn't lose out on large away followings that will then watch from home instead. It needs some thought, but I think this is the way it will be in the very near future.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 25
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ryan Reynolds on streaming

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.