Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back on the Train.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 260 Guests

Just Back on the Train.

This thread currently has 12,820 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
ex-merseymariner
August 28, 2022, 5:18pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,403
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from TwoLeftFeet
Watching the games this season was wondering if Efete is under instruction not to go on them forward runs so often..

From a humberside interview with michee earlier this season, maybe before the orient game, the opposite is true, he's said the management want him to work o  that side of the game.

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 73
Poojah
August 28, 2022, 11:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,883
Gold Stars: 1,527
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

Great account; but did you get a pint or two in the Black Country Arms?

I didn’t, sadly. Made it as far as ‘spoons before the desire to get out of Walsall town centre became too strong. I’ll stop short of cheap shots because these are tough times economically, especially for provincial towns like Walsall and Grimsby, but wow, it’s a place that is really struggling right now. Brutally forlorn and impoverished and in dire need of serious investment. I hope it gets some as it saddens me when once thriving communities get neglected forgotten about like that.

The Bescot is a pretty grim place to watch football too, like Glanford Park shágged the City Ground with disappointing results, but away days are what you make of them and not withstanding the great win it was a cracking day out. Few beers with mates before the game, bumping into an old mate from school I haven’t seen in years along with his missus and two little girls (resplendent in their retro Town shirts) before a curry in Birmingham before catching the train back to Leeds more than a little worse for wear. Well, píssed enough not to remember the bóllocking I apparently got from the wife when I stumbled through the door. Win win.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 73
gtfc98
August 29, 2022, 4:59am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.73
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,061
Gold Stars: 68
Quoted from Poojah

I didn’t, sadly. Made it as far as ‘spoons before the desire to get out of Walsall town centre became too strong. I’ll stop short of cheap shots because these are tough times economically, especially for provincial towns like Walsall and Grimsby, but wow, it’s a place that is really struggling right now. Brutally forlorn and impoverished and in dire need of serious investment. I hope it gets some as it saddens me when once thriving communities get neglected forgotten about like that.

The Bescot is a pretty grim place to watch football too, like Glanford Park shágged the City Ground with disappointing results, but away days are what you make of them and not withstanding the great win it was a cracking day out. Few beers with mates before the game, bumping into an old mate from school I haven’t seen in years along with his missus and two little girls (resplendent in their retro Town shirts) before a curry in Birmingham before catching the train back to Leeds more than a little worse for wear. Well, píssed enough not to remember the bóllocking I apparently got from the wife when I stumbled through the door. Win win.

These are the days we live for.

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 73
A Brace Of Tees
August 29, 2022, 5:17pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +706
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from HerveJosse
Why don’t we just play two up front from the start and skip the agony phase.?
Surely we are strong enough in midfield and defence now to do this.

We went through nearly the whole of last season NOT playing 4-4-2! And the reason for that is because it leaves us disadvantaged in midfield which is so important. Morris is playing in a defensive midfield role just in front of the back 4 and is proving invaluable at breaking up play and starting a move for us. Hollahan is (temporarily we hope) filling in McAtee's role of playing in the hole between Taylor and the midfield meaning that Hurst is trying to replicate the 4-4-1-1 system from last season.

If that was intelligent enough to get us promoted last year, why on earth would we suddenly change it?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 73
Madeleymariner
August 29, 2022, 8:37pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,063
Gold Stars: 51
Quoted from A Brace Of Tees

We went through nearly the whole of last season NOT playing 4-4-2! And the reason for that is because it leaves us disadvantaged in midfield which is so important. Morris is playing in a defensive midfield role just in front of the back 4 and is proving invaluable at breaking up play and starting a move for us. Hollahan is (temporarily we hope) filling in McAtee's role of playing in the hole between Taylor and the midfield meaning that Hurst is trying to replicate the 4-4-1-1 system from last season.

If that was intelligent enough to get us promoted last year, why on earth would we suddenly change it?

Because without McAtee we only seem to score goals when we go 442 after creating bagger all for the first 70 mins playing 4411 thats why.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 73
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
August 29, 2022, 9:05pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.84
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,832
Gold Stars: 556
Quoted from Madeleymariner

Because without McAtee we only seem to score goals when we go 442 after creating bagger all for the first 70 mins playing 4411 thats why.

Hardly any team in the entire Football League system currently starts a match set up as a traditional 4-4-2. As BoTees says, we would be outnumbered in midfield. It can work (Sean Dyche had success with Burnley playing two up front for several years but last I heard he was currently employee of the month at a sēx chat line company in Kettering) but it’s not pretty and you have to channel your inner John Beck.

If you’re chasing the game (eg. vs Walsall) you might take the risk.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 73
A Brace Of Tees
August 30, 2022, 1:44am
Beer Drinker
Quoted from Madeleymariner

So the 4-0 win against Crewe with a very raw Pepple up top on his own doesn't count then?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 73
Madeleymariner
August 30, 2022, 7:40am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,063
Gold Stars: 51
Quoted from A Brace Of Tees

So the 4-0 win against Crewe with a very raw Pepple up top on his own doesn't count then?

Against Crewe reserves, they made 9 outfield changes against us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 73
A Brace Of Tees
August 30, 2022, 9:02am
Beer Drinker
I'm quite happy to take Hurst's judgement on this rather than yours - he's not done too bad with his decision making so far.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 73
aldi_01
August 30, 2022, 9:15am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Ah yes, the typical English football fan response of ‘we, I, don’t think it’s very good so just go back to 442’…

It’s a dead formation and predictable, few teams play it for longer than say 5/10 minutes here and there.

It’s quite funny really because my view of both goals on Saturdays is intercourse all to do with system and all about desire and the ability to move the ball quicker. There’s an excellent book about systems and formations which has serious input from highly successful managers who talk about players knowing the role, belief in ability and working as a team, with formation being low down on actual priority.

You can play two up top without playing 442 anyway or would that confuse too many folk?

We know Hurst loves his shape but even he has progressed, as was seen last season and this season with the fluidity in the way we play and the constant changing to meet the needs of the team and break down opposition…

I’m more inclined to trust his judgement over a few whiny sods on here…and besides, se scored 5 at Wrexham, with seemingly only one up top and regardless of whether someone on here wants to think Crewe played a ‘reserve side’ you still have to score, and we did.

It’s getting tiring with folk stating the obvious really and besides, we’re a month gone without Mcatee and it’s hardly been excrement and a month closer to his return…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 73
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back on the Train.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.