2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Poojah
August 26, 2022, 12:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,878
Gold Stars: 1,523
Back home from holiday and so tomorrow marks my first game of the season and my first visit to Walsall. For those who have been before, where are the usual Town drinking spots?

Doesn’t appear to be much by the ground, with the exception of a Park Inn hotel next to the away end. There looks to be a reasonable sized ‘spoons near the station and very little else.

Any recommendations?

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Les Brechin
August 26, 2022, 12:21pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,726
Gold Stars: 174
Last time I went there, there was a decent social club at the ground that allowed away fans in.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 14
Mariner93er
August 26, 2022, 12:21pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,736
Gold Stars: 28
Live in Birmingham so my local away game.

Anyone on the train will be going through New Street and there's plenty of places around there. It's only 20 mins on the train from there with regular trains running.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 14
Les Brechin
August 26, 2022, 12:23pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,726
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Les Brechin
Last time I went there, there was a decent social club at the ground that allowed away fans in.

Just looked on the football grounds guide and it says that the club is no longer available to away supporters.

Quoted Text
Alas, the Saddlers Club situated just outside the stadium is no longer available to away supporters. Close to the ground, just a short walk along Bescot Crescent from the away end is the Park Inn Hotel, which has a bar and shows Sky Sports. Usually, there is a good mix of home and away fans inside. Otherwise, the nearest pub to the stadium is ‘King George V’ on Wallowes Lane. It is okay, but again understandably busy which can make it a bit difficult to get served quickly. It is about a 15 minute walk away, opposite the Morrisons Supermarket. If you are walking from the stadium, go out of the official car parks and down towards McDonalds. Go past McDonalds on your right and take a left hand turn into Wallowes Lane. At the end of the lane, turn left onto the main road and the pub is just setback on the left. Away fans though should avoid the Fulbrook pub near to the ground.

Just across the road from the away end is the  Park Inn Hotel. Inside it has a sizeable bar and allows in visiting supporters. Otherwise, after many years of opting not to sell alcohol to away supporters inside the stadium, the Club now serves beer to visiting fans!

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 14
Poojah
August 26, 2022, 12:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Mariner93er
Live in Birmingham so my local away game.

Anyone on the train will be going through New Street and there's plenty of places around there. It's only 20 mins on the train from there with regular trains running.

Yeah, was thinking of having a couple at New Street. There’s a nice Head of Steam near the station.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 14
Mariner93er
August 26, 2022, 12:35pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,736
Gold Stars: 28
Quoted from Poojah

Yeah, was thinking of having a couple at New Street. There’s a nice Head of Steam near the station.

Nice in there and basically right by the station. Next street across there's The Sun on the Hill which I've seen away fans in before.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 14
aldi_01
August 26, 2022, 12:40pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I remember last time the nearest boozer was a good 10/15 minute walk. Can’t remember it’s name though nor can I seem to find it on Google maps…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 14
Poojah
August 26, 2022, 12:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01
I remember last time the nearest boozer was a good 10/15 minute walk. Can’t remember it’s name though nor can I seem to find it on Google maps…

Was it the King George V by any chance? It seems questionable as to whether it’s still open, if so…

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/black-country/trouble-plagued-walsall-pub-left-20168436.amp

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 14
WOZOFGRIMSBY
August 26, 2022, 1:31pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +9,023
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Poojah

Agree with this. The head of steam is lovely, even if ultra modern. In fact, there’s loads of decent pubs in the ‘business area’/ centre of brum:

Kongs and tilt are good (especially for those that enjoy retro games/pinball)

The wellington amazing for real ales and craft beers

Opposite brewdog is a quaint little place called cherry reds (great food)

To name a few

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 14
Limerick Mariner
August 26, 2022, 2:01pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,744
Gold Stars: 138
The Black Country in Walsall town centre. Than hop on the train one stop back to Bescott
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 14
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Pubs for Walsall

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.