4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
August 24, 2022, 3:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,681
Gold Stars: 189
I think Hurst has mentioned that Green's fitness isn't quite where he wants it to be, in part due to the injury in pre-season?

Might play himself into fitness a bit.

I've been impressed with Morris in the two games I've seen as he's been very comfortable in possession and hasn't wasted too many passes. Looks solid in the air and in the tackle as well, so potentially a very good player for us this season, providing he can stay fit.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 39
quebec38
August 24, 2022, 4:21pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,588
Gold Stars: 48
Yep also impressed with Morris. Doesn’t stray too far from his position chasing the ball but more guards the back 4 and lets Holohan and Green do that. Drops in when a defender makes a foray forward and always shows for the ball when in possession. Has a decent range of passing too.

Interesting that he sees himself as more of an 8 and started the season alongside Holohan but now he seems to have swapped roles with Green.

Real steady signing.

I do like Green because I think he offers a physical presence and aggression but if McAtee came back tomorrow I would love to see Morris and Holohan with McAtee in front.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 39
MrThirsty
August 24, 2022, 5:55pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +236
Gold Stars: 4
Morris has certainly started impressively. He hasn’t stayed anywhere too long but was at Shrewsbury at the same time as Paul Hurst. If he continues perform at the same level as last night then I believe it would be worth looking at a longer contract.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 39
Mariner_09
August 24, 2022, 6:38pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
We have a strong group of midfielders for the first time ever by my reckoning, one of the three of them won’t be playing once McAtee comes back in, to give us an idea of how strong we are there. Morris is one of the more composed and classy players we’ve had in quite a while. He moves the ball quickly and sees passes and can execute them well, players aren’t checking their runs or having to stretch to get there most of the time. Think he’s only playing for us because of injuries in the last 2 years. I think that’s why he’s only signed a one year contract because he fancies moving back up a level after a full injury free season with us ideally.

Green is an interesting one, clearly not as much of a footballer as Morris but plays his heart out and is effective at winning the ball high up the pitch. He’s moved up a level, missed most of preseason so is probably still getting to grips with us, this league and his fitness, plus his new role. He does need to dawdle on the ball less though, he got caught last night and it could easily have happened in League games but I’m sure he’ll improve that element of his game. Plus when he’s fully fit I think he’ll be top notch.

Holohan seems a better player in the league than he did the Conference if you ask me. He seems to have really benefited from a full preseason under Hursty and this more advanced, freer role in the absence of McAtee. He tries lots of stuff and it will come off often enough to justify him doing it, he nearly scored a belter on Saturday. However, it’s his energy levels that have surprised me. Last season he was blowing after 65-70 mins most games, now he’s still charging around in stoppage time. Feel that has really unlocked him, if only JMD could do the same and we’d have a seriously good player on our hands!

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 39
ginnywings
August 24, 2022, 7:43pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Morris was excellent last night and my pick for MOM. Think he's been the best of the signings so far but it's early in the season and the others maybe need a bit more time to settle. Having played at a higher level most of his career, I think Morris is finding League 2 well within his scope and is very tidy on the ball. Wins the ball back regularly too.

Impressed so far.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 39
Davec
August 24, 2022, 7:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
I am sure there is more to come from Green once he is fully fit and settled in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 39
mariner91
August 24, 2022, 8:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,772
Gold Stars: 262
I think Morris is excellent. One of those quietly competent midfielders who does their job with minimum fuss. Very confident on the ball, positions himself really well to intercept a lot in the middle of the pitch and moves it about quickly. Couldn't ask for more. Great signing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 39
louth_in_the_south
August 24, 2022, 8:34pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,714
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Mariner93er
Stood out last night. Not many league 2 footballers are comfortable receiving the ball when being pressed by a premier team, but he was. And I don't remember him misplacing a pass.

Hate to say it, and I know we need to give him time, but Green looks a shadow of the player Morris is. Technically not very good at all.

Only just seen the highlights from the game and my immediate thought was that it was a hospital throw from cropper to green that was a gift for Forest to press , win and set up an easy finish . To throw into the centre from that distance is suicidal when playing a quality team .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 39
HertsGTFC
August 24, 2022, 8:49pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
I like Morris he can clearly play. What I liked about him Green and Gav last night was they had the confidence to try and play, can’t argue with that !

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 39
wiggers
August 24, 2022, 9:52pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Approval: +475
Gold Stars: 11
I think midfield and defence are looking really good. Looking forward to seeing Maher and Khan also. The only thing missing is a Centre Forward. If we could get a decent striker I really believe we would be in with a great shout for a top 6 finish. It’s speculate to accumulate time. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 39
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Bryn Morris

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.