6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
WOZOFGRIMSBY
August 21, 2022, 11:12am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +9,024
Gold Stars: 190
The consolation is that they get the much sought after nominations, along with JF, for football twit of the week

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 50
Withnail
August 21, 2022, 11:22am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 36
Who the hell would want to be a ref?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 50
aldi_01
August 21, 2022, 1:00pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Withnail

Plenty of us have and some of us were/are decent at it. Sadly, the furthest you go, politics and pressure kicks in. A lack of understanding of my career and a mere obsession with being able to run rather than being able to identify fouls and understanding the play meant some of us walked away. I suspect I’m not the only one.

Then, sadly, what you’re left with is well meaning lads who dedicate their time and effort but they’re possibly not as good or don’t really read the game as well…

I know of four very good referees that could’ve had a good career in the game walked away for many of the same reasons but equally I know lads who are refereeing at a fairly decent level but they’re by no means the best…at some point things have to change and approaches need to be consistent and focused on developing understanding of play, recognition of fouls and so forth…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 50
Ruston AT
August 21, 2022, 2:33pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +426
Gold Stars: 10

The 'new' rules that have been adopted are shocking, handball in any exception is ridiculous as its not applied in all cases, it's either hand ball or it's not!.

This stupid drop ball if a player has a head injury is mental (ala Northampton).

Raising the flag after a player has been offside needs a serious dose of looking at.

Anyone who knows me knows I am the biggest critics of referees they need help and not by VAR.

I could go on , the people who decide what rule changes are implemented  would be better done by a body of football fans other than these invisible football bureaucrats.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 50
Theimperialcoroner
August 21, 2022, 3:05pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,283
Gold Stars: 103
Quoted from Ruston AT

The 'new' rules that have been adopted are shocking, handball in any exception is ridiculous as its not applied in all cases, it's either hand ball or it's not!.

This stupid drop ball if a player has a head injury is mental (ala Northampton).

Raising the flag after a player has been offside needs a serious dose of looking at.

Anyone who knows me knows I am the biggest critics of referees they need help and not by VAR.

I could go on , the people who decide what rule changes are implemented  would be better done by a body of football fans other than these invisible football bureaucrats.  

They need to be allowed to referee and they are not. I qualified on the night Cantona jumped into the crowd and got to a decent standard. As Aldi said sometimes they do not understand you have a career though and I stepped off the promotion grind, being happy to do Level 5 stuff. Lincs League/United Counties level. I see guys going through the system now who are very good refs but they have to comply. You are expected to be “safe”, you are expected to apply the laws exactly as written irrespective if you are doing park football, academy stuff or semi pro stuff. It’s already been said on this thread we have 4th division refs running games like there is VAR available. That’s just nonsense. The best bit of advice I ever had was to ref what’s in front of you. I’ve done a couple of Boston Academy games this morning so of course I’ve had to adapt things to suit the game.
The FA and VAR are making the game ridiculous at the moment, the head injury drop ball, hand ball, late offside calls, uncontested drop balls etc etc. it’s like they have to intercourse about with the laws just for the sake of it. Very few of these things make the game better, VAR being the biggest culprit of all.
I keep going because I like getting out there, it keeps me fit, it’s like being paid to go to the gym. I doubt I’d have gone into if I was a kid now though.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 50
pontoonlew
August 21, 2022, 3:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,098
Gold Stars: 181
In the brief experience I had in the world of referees I found it to be a huge ‘promote your mates’ culture which is a small part of the bigger issue with refereeing in this country, it’s a closed door policy with most too arrogant to accept the horrendous errors every week.

Somebody said earlier in this thread that there would be an assessor, there would’ve been and you can bet your life that assessor will protect his own at all costs and make the ref think his decisions are acceptable. How on earth are we supposed to produce good refs with a culture like that?

Nigel Pearson was right, it’s tainting the game at the minute and I’ve never known it so bad, but the powers that be sit with their fingers in their ears and reward mediocrity.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 50
HerveJosse
August 21, 2022, 3:29pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,209
Gold Stars: 145
The players are making it more difficult for referees with regards he still increasing tendency to niggle and cheat at every opportunity..Players recognise and exploit weaknesses in referees as the No 15 for Sutton did yesterday never being out of his ear. We are pretty well behaved in the context of what you see from other teams.Until this culture changes every time we play a excrement house team we are going to end up being unhappy with the referee.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 50
aldi_01
August 21, 2022, 3:38pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Sadly, the comments were made by Nigel Pearson so it has little credibility given he’s a massive girl private.

He’s on the list with Evans as one of the most vile people I’ve met in the game…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 50
ginnywings
August 21, 2022, 4:26pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
It’s an impossible job being a ref.

Without them, they’d be no football. You’d all be shopping on a Saturday. Stone Island would go under.

I missed the match yesterday, but if Hurst and Ginny say the ref was poor, it suggests he was.

However, it’s lazy to say all four refs this season have been rubbish. I’m struggling to think of a key decision a ref has got obviously wrong in our opponents’ favour so far. Presumably the goal from the corner yesterday was disallowed due to pushing in the build up. There was little complaint from our players.

With Taylor being so isolated his only option is to try to win a free kick. Taylor knows this. The defenders know this. The ref knows it. As he should, Taylor backs into defenders, wrestles and uses his arms. There’s contact every time the ball goes up to him. You could give a free kick either way or let the game flow. The problem with the second option is that, if you let too many challenges go unpunished, the defending gets more brutal each time, Taylor’s arm gets straighter and straighter and before you know it you’ve got an injury or a red card.

For anyone who wants VAR introduced, if Taylor takes a better first touch and slides it through Rose’s legs, the goal would have been disallowed anyway because Bim was marginally offside following Clifton’s header.

It was the inconsistency and taking the easy option that made him so poor.

The disallowed goal was a case in point. The kick was delayed twice while the ref tried to sort out the usual pushing and shoving, at which point my brother said to me, "as soon as Glennon kicks this, the ref will blow for an infringement". He did just that and what was a perfectly good goal was ruled out for any number of pushes and pulls going on in the box. I don't think it was anything to do with the player stood in front of their goalie. He did the same thing from a couple of free kicks. As soon as the ball was hit, the whistle went and one of their players would be on the deck, having been supposedly impeded in some way. Easy option.

The inconsistency was evident when he didn't apply the same criteria to a series of three or four corners they had in succession in the second half. Just the same amount of argy bargy, but play was allowed to continue.

Of course there was the usual and frustrating episodes of their players going down holding their heads. Must have happened half a dozen times, all by their players. When Waterfall did get a proper and dangerous whack to the head, nothing was forthcoming from the ref. Two players were booked for a bit of afters, but nothing for the perpetrator, who went down like he had been shot, but recovered miraculously quickly.

The refs obviously have to stop the game for head injuries as that is their mandate, but this is now being exploited to the point of being extremely boring and predictable. I've yet to see a player go down with a head injury that actually needed treatment apart from Clifton against Northampton and that was genuine. Something needs to be done about it but I doubt it will be.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 50
Mayaman
August 21, 2022, 4:37pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,442
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from Withnail

Yeah.  During the summer I went to see my nephew in an under 7's tournament.  Young lad was refereeing in boiling temperatures for hours without a break and one team manager was slagging him off.  Couldn't have been more than 16 years old.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 50
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Paul hurst

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.