10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
mimma
August 21, 2022, 2:12pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,580
Gold Stars: 78
Had to laugh at the matchday sponsors choice of MOTM, Max Crocombe, he only made one save from a Waterfall back pass, but had nothing to do after that. Smith for me, very impressive again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 90
Southwark Mariner
August 21, 2022, 3:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,562
Gold Stars: 83
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Missed the match as committed to helping out at a 100 mile walk in Middlesbrough.  Decent weather forecast. Strong winds then torrential rain for hours forcing some walkers to retire.  Rain worse than last Tuesday.  Driving back not really safe.  I am the wet weather jinx then.

How many days was the walk? 20 miles a day? Or as fast as people wanted? I did Hadrian's wall in 3 days and my body was wrecked. Great memories though!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 90
Mariner_09
August 21, 2022, 4:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
The ref, and all the ones beforehand, was dreadful. Taylor got penalised for so much as looking at his man, despite the fact the defender was all over his shirt most of the time. I really don’t understand how we seem to constantly get the wrong side of these things. I’d have thought a packed BP, a hostile atmosphere that stays with the team would give us more of an advantage with putting pressure of refs but it’s quite the opposite.

Apparently, we’ve got VAR to thank for this because the PL is having to double up on refs, thus there are fewer decent refs to go around lower down the pyramid, so VAR is now ruining football at our level too. Congratulations, great work lads. Hope you’re satisfied.

I find it ludicrous that Hursty isn’t allowed to come out and explicitly criticise the refs. It essentially puts them beyond reproach, so they’ll never think they make wrong decisions. This is only going to get worse unless something is done. Players can be criticised, manager’s jobs are on the line but refs are protected to the nth degree. Hence they’re a bunch of almost exclusively jumped up little prats.

Yes, we were rubbish but if the ref had been even a bit stronger we might have gone some more momentum. This whole “let the game flow” memo hasn’t made L2 it seems.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 90
TownSNAFU5
August 21, 2022, 6:23pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
Southwark Mariner.  You have to race-walk 100 miles within 24 hours, otherwise you are out of time.

This was an international walk.  A  married couple from Australia walked,  they go around the world in a camper van doing ultra distance races.  About 100 such races between them. They are very good.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 90
petethemariner
August 21, 2022, 11:39pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
Just noticed that Tom Eaves, who is at Rotherham these days, doesn't seem to be getting much of a look in there, on the bench  on Saturday, Rotherham made 5 subs and he still didnt' get on, wonder if a cheeky loan bid would be something to consider, just the sort of player we are missing IMO (unless he has gone downhill) but i suppose wages might  be an issue.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 90
diehardmariner
August 22, 2022, 11:31am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,718
Gold Stars: 543
For me that was just a really, really disappointing performance.  Nothing to worry about and nothing to over-react about either.

Without doubt we're missing McAtee.  A player of his quality will always be missed.  In his absence we've changed the system to overload the midfield with energy, with Holohan and Green pushing further forward but less focus on industry out wide and more on getting support to Taylor, but from wider areas rather than centrally through McAtee.  I think there's also the added threat of two full-backs with attacking intent, which is allowed for with the deeper midfielder (Morris at present).

Unfortunately on Saturday we had two wingers who had poor games and the full-backs who didn't get forward enough.  You would normally expect at least two of them to have decent games and offer something.

The only thing I would think of concern is that having looked so full of energy in recent weeks, we looked leggy as hell in the midfield as the game wore on.   I hope the reaction isn't to bring Clifton back in as a winger, don't get me wrong he changed the tempo when he came on, but rather to perhaps rest one of the 3 lads in the midfield.

Options are sparse at the minute.  We had another 2 subs we could have used but that was from a goalkeeper, two full-backs and a centre-back.  Of 7 subs we've only really got JMD and Pepple as attacking options.  I know Hurst said pre-game that he's keen to almost protect his loan options, I think the off-days and lack of options to mix it up might change his plans and he lowers his high standards a little in the coming days.
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 90
Dave Gilberts Left Peg
August 22, 2022, 11:43am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +2 / -5
Approval: -158
Gold Stars: 78
Quoted from petethemariner
Just noticed that Tom Eaves, who is at Rotherham these days, doesn't seem to be getting much of a look in there, on the bench  on Saturday, Rotherham made 5 subs and he still didnt' get on, wonder if a cheeky loan bid would be something to consider, just the sort of player we are missing IMO (unless he has gone downhill) but i suppose wages might  be an issue.

Fantastic jockey for Bryan smart

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 90
petethemariner
August 22, 2022, 12:08pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
Dont think Bryan Smarts horses would be too pleased to have a 6ft 3  13 stone plus jockey on their backs!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 90
lew chaterleys lover
August 22, 2022, 2:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,787
Gold Stars: 237
I would always bring Cropper on for the last 15 if we are chasing a goal. That throw is lethal and you will always get a throw in from a decent position.

Having said that there is an argument for starting him as I don't think Efete was very effective on Saturday.
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 90
Les Brechin
August 22, 2022, 2:39pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,727
Gold Stars: 174
I would always bring Cropper on for the last 15 if we are chasing a goal. That throw is lethal and you will always get a throw in from a decent position.

Having said that there is an argument for starting him as I don't think Efete was very effective on Saturday.

I said on Saturday that I was very surprised that we didn't bring him on late on. The long throw is a great weapon to have, especially when you are struggling for a goal like we were on Saturday.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 90
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.