3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
aldi_01
August 8, 2022, 9:58pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
There’s always been questions about medicals at football clubs. Plenty have signed players knowing they’re injured or carry certain injuries because they want their man.

Think the wally off socceram, what’s his name? Erm…Bullard, he was a crock but Hull desperately wanted him, their head medical geezer wasn’t even at the ground for the medical…he was stood next to me having a pint, his words were ‘no point me being there, I’d say we don’t want him and shouldn’t sign him, the club think otherwise’.

Mcatee was having this operation regardless, this way means we’ve still got him when fit again and we managed to obtain some cash for him.

I suspect he could be back a little quicker. After all, he’s an extremely fit lad…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 29
diehardmariner
August 9, 2022, 11:22am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,717
Gold Stars: 543
Quoted from ska face
Forgive me if I sound like I’ve been hammering the weapons grade copium, but I’m not too heartbroken over this. We all assumed it was possible, if not likely, after it was first mentioned in April, and since then we’ve managed to get a promotion and big fee for him. If he had the op back then we’d still be in the conference, but now facing a few months without him and with no money to find a replacement.

I also think it’s good that we’re being forced to move away from a system basically built around allowing McAtee to be most effective. When Maher’s fit I’d like to see us play with 3 at the back and Glennon & Efete as wingbacks. That might allow us a bit more freedom to go with 2 up top, giving Taylor someone a bit closer to work with. Whether it happens or not is a different question, maybe unlikely, but I do think we were overly reliant on a single system working well, and McAtee was central to that.

Great post.  

I'd go one further and say we're not only overly reliant on that system, we're actually defined by it.

Last season was a great example of it.  When McAtee was first injured Fox was deployed in that role, in an attempt to recreate what McAtee offered.  Against Orient, without the ability to play McAtee in that role (having to play further forward) the rest of the team didn't seem quite sure how to go about play.  To the point that McAtee ended up abandoning the No 9 role and then coming deeper and wider to get to the play, which resulted in us having the absolute sum of zero in the final third other than the occasional burst from Kiernan.  It's as much about the reliance and dependence on the Taylor/McAtee pairing as it is the individuals involved.

3 at the back makes the most sense to me.  We've a glut of excellent options at centre-back and an equally rich array of attacking full-back options. The areas, for me anyway, where we lack options is a) a central focal point, be it as a No 10 or a No 9 and b) wingers in the 4-4-2 sense.  We've got a fair few who look like they can play further up field wide in the attack but not your traditional wingers.  4-4-2, or any variation of makes little sense to me at the minute.  It heavily leans towards a 3-4-3 type with Glennon and Efete stretching teams from wide and two of JMD/Kiernan/Khan/Wearne operating really high up the pitch.

The only issue with that is that it very quickly and easily becomes 5-4-1 and/or your midfield gets over run.

On Saturday, Green operated really deep. To the point he was virtually a third centre-back.  Efete and Glennon both positioned themselves ahead of him so we're sort of playing a wingback type system anyway.  I liked the energy in the midfield so would be reluctant to change that, plus with Green dropping so deep you really need another two in there (two of Morris/Holohan/Cliton).  The problem is the gap between midfield and attack, both centrally and from wide.  I thought Kiernan was pretty effective when he went more central and both JMD and Wearne showed they can stretch play if allowed.  

intercourse knows.  I've convinced myself for and against every formation in the five minutes it took to write the above.  Who'd be a manager, eh?
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 29
petethemariner
August 9, 2022, 12:23pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
Ironic though that Luton, the team  relegated to NL because their points deduction (in the year we scraped  avoiding elegation to NL because of it ) are now where they are  and in a position to buy our best player and loan us another, i can still remember us sticking 7 past them at BP! Times change i suppose, at least we are rid of the main reason there is a gap between the clubs and hopefully we will soon close that gap.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 29
Poojah
August 9, 2022, 12:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,883
Gold Stars: 1,527
Quoted from petethemariner
Ironic though that Luton, the team  relegated to NL because their points deduction (in the year we scraped  avoiding elegation to NL because of it ) are now where they are  and in a position to buy our best player and loan us another, i can still remember us sticking 7 past them at BP! Times change i suppose, at least we are rid of the main reason there is a gap between the clubs and hopefully we will soon close that gap.

You can resent what they’ve done or you can aspire to emulate it. Luton are a traditionally unfashionable club from a much maligned town, mismanaged out of the football league by those at the wheel, but now find themselves thriving due to their modest but resilient and passionate fan base, and even more crucially progressive new owners.

Perhaps we’re not as far away from ‘Luton’ as you might think…

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 29
Tommy
August 9, 2022, 12:47pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,869
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Kris2

The idea of passing and failing a medical comes more from media than what is actually the case in Football. You don't really fail a medical, they are assessing the player for any risks and then giving their report to the people with the money to decide if they want to take that on. They'll have access to the medical history and assessments from doctors and will have decided on the risks going forward with the transfer. Nobody doing a medical has any say or not on if the player is signed and it's not a formal test they need to pass to be signed. They clearly got the full info on the shoulder issues and where it's going so they'll know about the plan ahead for it and have decided things are fine.

This.

People repeatedly talking of failing a medical should read the above post. I watched something recently, from a podcast type thing, where someone in a medical role clarified that players don't pass or fail a medical. As the post above explains, it's more like a risk assessment report with info provided to the people involved in recruitment, who then decide how they use that information and whether to take on the level of risk (and how it effects any finances in the deal and when they might look to sell on the player).

Edit: found links

Short version with the relevant part (but on Facebook videos) - https://fb.watch/eO0R70-4ae/

Full episode on YouTube - https://youtu.be/_dexioc0MOw

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 29
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
August 9, 2022, 12:54pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.84
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,832
Gold Stars: 556
Quoted from Poojah

Hmmm....Flight FR1878 is now landing at London Humberside Airport
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 29
DB
August 9, 2022, 1:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.39
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,055
Gold Stars: 391

Hmmm....Flight FR1878 is now landing at London Humberside Airport

Now that would be amazing,   Ryanair FR 1878  is Memmingen to Thessaloniki

https://www.google.com/search?.....=chrome&ie=UTF-8

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 29
petethemariner
August 9, 2022, 1:28pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
Quoted from Poojah

You can resent what they’ve done or you can aspire to emulate it. Luton are a traditionally unfashionable club from a much maligned town, mismanaged out of the football league by those at the wheel, but now find themselves thriving due to their modest but resilient and passionate fan base, and even more crucially progressive new owners.

Feel you could be right Poojah, there are similarities between both clubs, i dont resent Luton, quite the contrary, i admire what they have achieved
and pray we can emulate it in time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 29
Gaffer58
August 9, 2022, 3:01pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
A bit ironic if we have a great season and get promotion and Luton get relegated, at least we would know who the forwards we would be playing against.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 29
GrimRob
August 9, 2022, 4:21pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,462
Gold Stars: 115
Didn't we average about a point a game without McAtee last season? And two with him in the side?

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 29 - 29
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › McAtee's Shoulder

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.