gtfc98
July 15, 2022, 11:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.73
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,061
Gold Stars: 68
Quoted from jamesgtfc

What I think they can do is make sure foreign season passes and match passes for 3PM Saturday games can only be bought on a card registered on foreign shores.

Buy a foreign currency card? Think that should work.

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 158
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
July 15, 2022, 11:33pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +877
Gold Stars: 123
Quoted from jamesgtfc

What I think they can do is make sure foreign season passes and match passes for 3PM Saturday games can only be bought on a card registered on foreign shores.

There are websites where you can make a fake virtual credit card and register it anywhere you want. There's ways round nearly everything.

The VPN route is the easiest to do. You can Google for overseas IP addresses to use on most VPN clients.

Allegedly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 158
Plankton
July 16, 2022, 12:20am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,215
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Impossible to check as a card registered in a certain country is not indicative of the country the person is in. The club knows what it is doing and is being above board. If I were to visit France prior to the season and buy a season pass, then that's my right.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 158
MarinerWY
July 16, 2022, 7:55am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,992
Gold Stars: 47
Quoted from stevethefish
If (the league) are that bothered about Saturday games being streamed, why not charge £20 or something like that for Saturday games. Missed opportunity to grow the overall market, particularly as this season some away games will be all ticket. .

The league can't decide to broadcast those matches, it's a rule that's sanctioned by Premiership, EFL and UEFA and barring Covid lockdowns, has been in place since the 1960s.

Opinions are divided on it amongst clubs but it would require a full vote by all football league clubs to propose a change and then UEFA would need to agree.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 158
Grantham_Mariner
July 16, 2022, 8:07am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,204
Gold Stars: 51
Quoted from Mikey_345
Can’t see any reason VPNs won’t get around the location issue, like last time we were in the league. Makes no sense for the club to invest massively on building something that beats a VPN. Especially with the ST sales as it’ll have no impact on attendance but also increase revenue. Every club know fans do it, so do the league the sooner this silly rule ends the better.

Think you may have to buy/ link your subscription to your GTFC account so they will possibly know where you are?

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 158
GrimPol
July 16, 2022, 8:47am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -787
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from aldi_01
I understand that there’s an idea that clubs would lose potential income through the turnstiles of games were shown at 3pm on a Saturday but, aside from those clubs doing poorly, I can’t see many losing any, especially at away games.

It feels like away attendances across all divisions and all clubs have gone up, it may be bollcoks but that’s how it feels and perhaps that’s covid thing with people being kept in for months on end. It’s a release now.

However, the plastic, armchair, betting slip, not really arsed meta fans probably wouldn’t bottom themselves to go down BP anyway so if Man Utd are on the tele at 3pm or not, they’d still much rather be in the pub.

Conversely, in the situation of many a real fan of clubs like town, attendance isn’t always an option through work, cost or geography. If clubs can run a platform, provide a service and May be not every game but the vast majority, especially away games, even charging full ticket price, it has to be a way of moving forward. As discussed, I can’t see it taking many of any off of away followings…

The argument will be if ManU V Liverpool is on "TV" at the same time as Carlisle v Grimsby, which match will the kids go for?
I was in a chipsop queue 2 weeks ago with 10/11 year old kids sitting on the grass having chips alfresco. All were wearing replicas, not one Grimsby shirt. Its depressing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 158
toontown
July 16, 2022, 9:49am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from GrimPol

The argument will be if ManU V Liverpool is on "TV" at the same time as Carlisle v Grimsby, which match will the kids go for?
I was in a chipsop queue 2 weeks ago with 10/11 year old kids sitting on the grass having chips alfresco. All were wearing replicas, not one Grimsby shirt. Its depressing.

Yeah people make a simplistic argument like it's a choice of town on the Internet or not. It isn't. If town are so are Chelsea, manu, Liverpool, City etc  and possibly for not much more money. It could easily go the other way and take youngsters away from town and suck them into supporting a big six team, and their army of marketing staff would be trying to do exactly that across the country.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 158
moosey_club
July 16, 2022, 10:19am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,321
Gold Stars: 229
That list of potential games for UK viewing seems awfully big.  I thought that previously , pre covid times,  both Saturday and Tues regular slots were protected/ prevented, but that list seems just like it is the Saturday 3pm only.
Our friends the police may help everyone even further here if they start switching high profile games to 12p.m.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 158
Martz86
July 16, 2022, 10:19am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +10 / -1
Approval: +129
Gold Stars: 1
Out of curiosity, if the whole thing is similar to ifollow, would I need the season/monthly subscription to buy a match pass?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 158
forza ivano
July 16, 2022, 12:24pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,285
Gold Stars: 266
few thoughts

1) be very interesting to see the numbers they get from this
2) can imagine it will provide some useful marketing info on numbers and spread of exiles etc
3) really want to know how many international fans we have - think it might be more than people imagine
4) one for techies - how could this be expanded? for example could there be an interactive element, where viewers can post in questions for example?
5) could it be sponsored , bringing in some useful revenue? Have a Youngs 'bar' on the bottom of the screen or a sponsors logo in a corner? Commentators could mention the sponsor every so often, like they do on Talksport. Annoying maybe, but if it brings in the £££....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 158
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mariners TV

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.