Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Death of the football programme?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 245 Guests

Death of the football programme?

This thread currently has 3,301 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
July 7, 2022, 9:40pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,082
Gold Stars: 201

Not sure if other clubs have done it but Bradford City have just announced that they are axing their matchday programme.

"As from Saturday’s home friendly against Derby, the programme will be no more after the club reluctantly pulled the plug. Buying a matchday programme is a long-standing tradition in the English game, but in a more digitally-minded era with the rise of social media and online content, we feel as a club it is no longer efficient for us to continue producing a matchday programme."

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Online
Private Message
GrimRob
July 7, 2022, 10:02pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,455
Gold Stars: 115
Shame for those who still collect them. Personally, I'd rather pay 50p and get an A4 teamsheet with the two sides on, which is what programmes started as! I know you can get all the information on your phone, but the phone is a distraction and I'd rather just be able to look at a bit of paper to see the team.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 1 - 26
toontown
July 7, 2022, 10:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
I thought you had to do a programme in the efl for the first and last games of the season and the rest were optional,something like that? Rules changed whilst we were away perhaps..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 26
golfer
July 7, 2022, 10:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
Did Toontown think you had to have a programme for the first and last games ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 26
toontown
July 7, 2022, 10:16pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from golfer
Did Toontown think you had to have a programme for the first and last games ?

No, whatever gave you that idea!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 26
Rick12
July 7, 2022, 10:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Sad to read. In this day and age of screen media saturated technology it's always nice to go back to basics and read something physical. Likewise I've been collecting the world soccer magazine squad lists and interviews they do with managers prior to the world cup and European championships since 2010 and would hate for that to be finished. Likewise I have old Grimsby programmes from around 6 years back that I love to read from time to time.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 26
July 7, 2022, 11:41pm
Guest User
The matchday programme hasn't been an EFL requirement for a few years.

Scunthorpe and Derby were a few of the earlier clubs to stop producing.

I've subscribed to our programme for years and I'd urge anyone who loves to get one to do the same. Its £50 for the season and an absolute steal. GTFC said that doing so would help sustain the programme. You get cup games etc included.

I was at Goole AFC the other night. What a programme they produce. If clubs of that stature can produce one then league clubs should be able to. For me its an essential part of the matchday experience but I realise I am in the minority.  
Reply: 6 - 26
Mayaman
July 7, 2022, 11:47pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,442
Gold Stars: 74
They became overpriced years ago.  I after a while I also found them boring.  Always the same format, with some stats on a player.  Tell me something interesting please.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 26
July 8, 2022, 12:21am
Guest User
I think Grimsby's programme is of very good quality so I'm happy buying it.

I'm biased in some ways because I've contributed to grassroots football programmes for a good while and very regularly in the last couple of seasons. I did write the GTST page in The Mariner for a few years but that was over a decade ago.

Goole AFC have a good print run and regularly sell out. A proper glossy with some really interesting articles. I write match reports for two local sides and one club, Harworth Colliery, puts them all in its programmes which it even produces for U21 matches.

Programmes don't have to be big affairs. I'd be happy for a slimmed down version at Town if it meant we still had one. I went to see my other local side, Club Thorne Colliery, play in an U21 game at Wombwell Town and the home side's four page programme was a thing of real beauty.

Doncaster Rovers Belles produce a teamsheet and have all the latest league news and stats on the back. A great effort. More like the original football programmes.

Not for everyone but I love getting a programme.
Reply: 8 - 26
GrimPol
July 8, 2022, 8:06am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -787
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from toontown
I thought you had to do a programme in the efl for the first and last games of the season and the rest were optional,something like that? Rules changed whilst we were away perhaps..

Past EFL regulations had stated, "that each club was to have one half page of their programme available to benefit the Football Foundation and a full page of advertising to promote League initiatives."
In June 2018 EFL clubs voted that printing programmes are up to each club to decide.

They are collectable, and in 2014, a copy of the 1901 FA Cup final programme between Tottenham and Sheffield Utd was sold for £19,000 at auction.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 26
GrimPol
July 8, 2022, 8:50am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from 800
I think Grimsby's programme is of very good quality so I'm happy buying it.

I'm biased in some ways because I've contributed to grassroots football programmes for a good while and very regularly in the last couple of seasons. I did write the GTST page in The Mariner for a few years but that was over a decade ago.

Goole AFC have a good print run and regularly sell out. A proper glossy with some really interesting articles. I write match reports for two local sides and one club, Harworth Colliery, puts them all in its programmes which it even produces for U21 matches.

Programmes don't have to be big affairs. I'd be happy for a slimmed down version at Town if it meant we still had one. I went to see my other local side, Club Thorne Colliery, play in an U21 game at Wombwell Town and the home side's four page programme was a thing of real beauty.

Not for everyone but I love getting a programme.

Doncaster Rovers Belles produce a teamsheet and have all the latest league news and stats on the back. A great effort. More like the original football programmes.

Wasn't there a Fanzine being printed in the "Roy of the Rovers" style?
I don't think it was a Club project as the Cartoons/Articles were irreverant.
From memory, they were not rude nor nasty just poking fun at the players/manager/board etc.
I never saw anybody sell them, they just were read whilst waiting for the KO.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 26
ginnywings
July 8, 2022, 10:55am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from GrimPol

Wasn't there a Fanzine being printed in the "Roy of the Rovers" style?
I don't think it was a Club project as the Cartoons/Articles were irreverant.
From memory, they were not rude nor nasty just poking fun at the players/manager/board etc.
I never saw anybody sell them, they just were read whilst waiting for the KO.

SWWF.
Sing When We're Fishing.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 26
HertsGTFC
July 8, 2022, 1:15pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
I don’t buy them many longer but appreciate the tradition and the massive efforts contributors take in writing stuff for free in their own time.

As I kid I used to get Shoot magazine and in the small ads there was Steve Earle football programmes. You could get a massive bundle for £10 or so.

What you got was completely random but in a time when there was only 3 TV channels  and football once a week on a Saturday night these programmes kept me occupied for hours. I remember the Mick Mills testimonial was a rather good read.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 26
gtfcmd
July 8, 2022, 2:17pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +210
Gold Stars: 3
My son buys them every game with his pocket money to add to his collection I hope they don’t stop doing them he would be devastated if he missed a copy on match days
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 26
lee65
July 8, 2022, 8:29pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Approval: +2,486
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from ginnywings

SWWF.  
Sing When We're Fishing.

Please can somebody find the brilliant “Hull speak” guide that was in one edition!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 26
barralad
July 9, 2022, 5:11pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,299
Gold Stars: 127
Two teams in the National League only produced a digital programme last year-Dover and Barnet. In the 2019-20 season only Stevenage did so. I'm with Thornemariner on this to the extent that along with Tintowner of this parish we have found someone who will do a professionally printed copy of the digital. Problem solved!

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 26
BenBB
July 9, 2022, 6:39pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +842
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from gtfcmd
My son buys them every game with his pocket money to add to his collection I hope they don’t stop doing them he would be devastated if he missed a copy on match days

They’re definitely ace for the younger fans. My fondest memories of going to BP as a child with my dad or nana was getting a programme before the game.

Just make for a nice trinket/keepsake whilst being informative and entertaining for pre-game/HT and the ride home! Especially as the signal in BP is so poop!

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 16 - 26
GYinScuntland
July 10, 2022, 3:38am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,253
Gold Stars: 98
Just another good match day experience taken away, much the same as walking up to the turnstiles and paying with money.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 26
Manchester Mariner
July 10, 2022, 11:58am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,822
Gold Stars: 41
The game's gone.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 26
marinerjase
July 10, 2022, 1:38pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,682
Gold Stars: 147
It is a shame that football programmes are slowly going, was always a big part of the football experience when you start going as a youngster. I always used to get them, I still buy occasionally now as the quality of the programme Jack Johnson and others provide for our club is outstanding.

Going back a few decades I used to like the ones with the team line ups on the back but with a small description of each player of both sides underneath. Couldn’t do that now given the numbers involved etc.

Times and things change - harder to justify the need for a programme given you can get all the content you need online. That said I’m very much in the camp of tradition - and I’ll be buying one first home game this season - those who have got out the habit of getting one - pick up a copy, think you’ll be pleasantly surprised as to how good it is.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 26
Mariner Ronnie
July 10, 2022, 3:04pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from barralad
Two teams in the National League only produced a digital programme last year-Dover and Barnet. In the 2019-20 season only Stevenage did so. I'm with Thornemariner on this to the extent that along with Tintowner of this parish we have found someone who will do a professionally printed copy of the digital. Problem solved!

Did Dover definitely do one? If so I didn’t get it 😢

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 26
Grantham_Mariner
July 10, 2022, 3:13pm

Season Ticket Holder
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,204
Gold Stars: 51
Quoted from Mariner Ronnie

Did Dover definitely do one? If so I didn’t get it 😢

I printed off the Dover and Barnet ones. One was £1 the other if I remember correctly was free.

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 26
barralad
July 10, 2022, 5:49pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,299
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner

I printed off the Dover and Barnet ones. One was £1 the other if I remember correctly was free.

Exactly this.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 26
Mariner Ronnie
July 10, 2022, 6:51pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
sodomist, I’ll have to see if I can find it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 26
Mariner Ronnie
July 10, 2022, 6:54pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Yeah found it here. 👍🏼 https://issuu.com/doverathleticfc/docs/issue_13_dover_v_grimsby_hr

Another one for anyone, one I never found, Cambridge away in the 19/20 season. Was that online?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 26
GrimPol
July 10, 2022, 8:20pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from lee65

Please can somebody find the brilliant “Hull speak” guide that was in one edition!  

Just been back to 2011 Fishy where some people are talking about scanning some SWWF old back copies.
GrimRob and wigworld were involved in Scanning and Archiving some old copies.

I just can't get around this forum to find anything
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 26
July 24, 2022, 11:22pm
Guest User
Mansfield aren't producing a programme this season either.

I find it a real shame.
Reply: 26 - 26
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Death of the football programme?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.