Roast Em Bobby
July 5, 2022, 9:13pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,729
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Why? He’s clearly two or three central midfielders short plus another striking option, another keeper and probably another wide player.

I'm not complaining, I just didn't imagine that many. I thought probably 2 CMs and a keeper and we'd be done
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 55
scott
July 5, 2022, 9:24pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +130
Gold Stars: 1
I think 6 players sounds about right, and most will agree I think.. I don't think Hurst sounded keen on loans for the obvious reasons but did say that the market can offer good options and potentially better players that you could otherwise sign. Maybe we will get a loan keeper or something at the very least. I can't see any youngsters being first choice in the side but will expect cup games and the odd game some will be utilised in some way or another. I guess it's down to them to take the opportunity when they get it.

Mcatee - Could go either way, i cannot imagine anybody coming in with a bid but you never know, I don't think hes at the point where he is going to start in the championship for example but perhaps one of the big spenders in League 1 or 2. My guess is he will stay here for 1 more season and even if he has an average season I think he will move on to league 1.

PH himself sounds happy, I love the guy. Surely he must have had offers himself over the summer to consider. I would liked him to have been asked about his contract and perhaps more about wider backroom staff as I expect they will grow.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 55
RonMariner
July 5, 2022, 9:38pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,865
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from scott

Mcatee - Could go either way, i cannot imagine anybody coming in with a bid but you never know, I don't think hes at the point where he is going to start in the championship for example but perhaps one of the big spenders in League 1 or 2. My guess is he will stay here for 1 more season and even if he has an average season I think he will move on to league 1.

He might be in L 1 with us.....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 55
scott
July 5, 2022, 10:01pm
Coke Drinker
Quoted from RonMariner

He might be in L 1 with us.....

The dream
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 55
acko338
July 5, 2022, 10:38pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +44 / -6
Approval: +3,212
Gold Stars: 33
Once the squad players have been recruited, then one thing that may need resolving is what happens to those fringe players out of the 18 needed for match days?

Can players get real competitive reserve games to keep them mstch fit, or returning to fitness after any injuries?

Surely there must be other teams with similar problems who will want to play games, even behind closed doors?

Perhaps when the new training facilities are complete and open, there could be an opportunity for fans to see any games of this type, with a minimum entry fee.

Shift and weekend workers would have chances to see the players if they struggle to attend normal league games.

Also, chances for youth players to take part in harder and more competitive situations, alongside players who are perhaps helping them to make stronger progression during their youth or early professional contracts.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 55
DB
July 6, 2022, 6:23am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.39
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,055
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from scott

The dream

The dream is being back in the championship ( or Division 2 as those of a certain age know it ).

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 55
scott
July 6, 2022, 6:34am
Coke Drinker
Quoted from DB

The dream is being back in the championship ( or Division 2 as those of a certain age know it ).

Fair point! I'm 32 and started following town the year Gateshead knocked us out the play offs. For me the actual dream is just being a stable league club!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 55
DB
July 6, 2022, 6:34am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.39
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,055
Gold Stars: 391
I thought Hurst's interview was very good. He didn't duck any questions apart from not confirming the new keeper coach, but perhaps he does not think announcements are part of his job description.

He knows who he has got and, like most of us, was pleased to keep the promotion-winning players he wanted. He knows where he wants those 6 additional players and does not seem to be panicked into filling the places quickly.

He's building another team for promotion with a clear positive approach. A totally different interview when he came in and was asked about his view of the club "It's a mess". Well both he and the club have come a long way since those dark days.

Incidentally, on viewing the pitches at Cheapside, on the vid, it was good to see how well they looked. A credit to the ground staff.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 55
A.l.f.
July 6, 2022, 6:55am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +687
Gold Stars: 7
He’s relaxed, excited and comfortable with where we are as a club.  Another great interview and pleased that he is our manager and well respected among other managers of other clubs.  Roll on Saturday, when we have the opportunity again to thank the lads for last season and encourage them and the new boys for the coming season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 55
male private Nale
July 6, 2022, 8:32am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -923
Gold Stars: 136
Scannell must be on a retained sickness pay or something similar as hurst stated he hoped to get back to full fitness to earn a playing contract until end of season.

Emotions aside with Mcatee , if he hits ground running in open month there is an outside chance we could lose him by 1st September. I think it’s clear the lad won’t commit and will want to keep his options open seeing what fox has commanded as a free agent. Therefore from our point of view we need to capitalise on him and hope he plays well into the winter period and we can get some fee in January. The worst outcome is he walks away for nothing at end of season.

Very positive interview though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 55
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst preseason interview

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.