5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
July 4, 2022, 1:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
I don't think that says it's over or not. He might well be really down simply because the rest of the squad are in full training and he's not - as the coach said, it might well be the beginning of a new life for him. Who knows?
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 47
heppy88
July 4, 2022, 2:02pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Surrey97
Quite an emotional interview with him starting at 3:10 in this video. Really feel for the guy. https://youtu.be/UpQ92VnhhCI

Moving. I guess a few of us can relate to his story who are not footballers, nursing the wounds of a lifetime of excess, neglect and ignorance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 47
Jarmo.Is.God
July 4, 2022, 3:38pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Where ever he ends up, or whatever he ends up doing, i wish him nothing but the best!
When he got game time, and was on it, it was a joy to watch, and we've not had that for a while!

Big thing, the other players seem to really like him as well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 47
Kris2
July 4, 2022, 4:05pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
Feel for the guy, got a bad injury when he was like 18 or 19 and has struggled with time out due to injuries that he never really recovered from. The sad thing before his latest injury he was on a decent run and was performing well at the start of the match he got injured in. Doing something like this is good for the mind, helping kids coming up in the game, if even one takes that to heart and thinks about how they treat their body and how they manage their career it'll be a good thing.

Going from a scholar to a professional contract is one of the hardest things to do, lot of kids will never make it in football and the standards have only become higher in modern times. He's right it's about more than working hard now, you have to work on everything from how you eat to how you use your free time.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 47
crusty ole pie
July 4, 2022, 5:38pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,382
Gold Stars: 66
Surely if he had half a mind to move on he would have gone Back home to his family and not spent the last month at the oaklands to be close to medical attention
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 47
moosey_club
July 4, 2022, 5:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,317
Gold Stars: 229
Curse of the Premier league era again in one way, breaks through at a young age and without guidance ends up spending thousands in nightclubs.
If you are a professional athlete your body won't take that level of abuse for long, could that  be why he couldnt string a handful of games together over the last 4/5 seasons or so ?

When you consider an Olympic athlete, they dedicate themselves for four years between Olympics , with that single focus....yet plenty of footballers struggle to commit to their profession during an active season   never mind close season.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 47
RichMariner
July 4, 2022, 6:02pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,164
Gold Stars: 211
Must admit, he's played more games in his career than I realised - 395 appearances across 15 seasons at 26 games a season.

No doubt he's had his injury problems, especially with us. But earlier in his career, while at Palace and Huddersfield, he was regularly clocking 30+ games a season.

What's happened after that is probably a mixture of bad luck and bad judgment on his part.

He always seemed to have a good attitude while with us, though. And the players celebrated promotion with him and treated him as one of the team.

It was Matt Dean who first mentioned on Twitter that he believed Town were to offer him a pay-as-you-play deal, but nothing more substantive than that.

No ill feeling on my part. I wish him all the best.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 36 - 47
toontown
July 4, 2022, 7:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
You've got to have tremendous sympathy for the lad after watching that, obviously heartbreaking for him that he may not be able to come back from that injury.

I wouldn't be surprised if he has decided to turn down what must surely be a rock bottom offer from us, we've got to protect ourselves as, as he says, he may not be able to get back to playing. If he's got children and family down south maybe it's just not worth it for him to be away from them for such a protracted period when he's not got any chance of playing. Good of him to be volunteering his time to try and offer guidance to young footballers and offer tye benefit of his experience.

Whether he is coming back to us or not I certainly wish him the best of luck.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 47
aldi_01
July 4, 2022, 7:21pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Seems like a genuinely decent bloke and clearly well thought of at the club.

Hopefully, whatever he chooses to do he’ll be happy and successful. Football is cruel, many of us, myself included wouldn’t have been sad to see him paid off earlier on but in his defence he did get fit and was having an impact on games…

Best of luck to the guy…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 47
Morph2000
July 5, 2022, 9:31am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +48
Gold Stars: 2
I have heard he has signed a 6 month contract and is already back in Grimsby/Laceby
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 47
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Sean Scannell

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.