It Bites
June 30, 2022, 8:54pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,216
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from Poojah
I think our friend It Bites is referring to the very corner between the Main and the Osmond, an area of old terracing which is currently inaccessible because of the way it has been ‘caged in’.

[img]https://i.ibb.co/1ZXCG2p/8651-FB70-608-B-44-F1-A0-E7-EDD1-DCAF6-A2-F.jpg[/img]
It’s years since I sat over that side of the ground, but you used to be able to see the fixings in the concrete where the old crush barriers used to be. You can see them when that part of the ground was in use in this photo.

[img]https://thebeautifulhistory.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/059grimsbytownoppositemaincopyright.jpg[/img]
I’m not sure what year that is, but at a guess it’s late 80s or early 90s, pre-Taylor report. When I first started watching Town in 1992, I’m sure that area was in use then but I might be misremembering that through the eyes of a child.

I don’t know why that wasn’t converted along with the rest of the Osmond at the time, perhaps the angle of the corner terracing is too acute to accommodate seats. If it were possible, there would be quite a lot of work needing to be done to the terracing itself as you can’t just bolt seats onto old steps designed for standing.

Interesting idea though.

Thank you 💝
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 50
lew chaterleys lover
June 30, 2022, 9:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,787
Gold Stars: 237
We have talked about a new stadium many times but nonetheless it is always good to talk through the options, because like you say the owners will have some decisions to make.

Personally I think they will improve the capacity at Blundell park over the next year or two and see where we are at in say 5 years, both in terms of league standing and support numbers.

A new stadium is such a huge commitment and will take up so much of their time and energy I think it will wait until we are an established league club and all the other things in and around the club have been addressed.

As for a new stadium, if it is characterful, a thing of beauty sited in the right place with a healthy capacity and a jewel in Grimsbys crown then great. If they conclude we could only afford a soulless mecanno box then I would rather redevelop BP and use a new training complex to try to generate more income with conference rooms and public football pitches etc. All easier said than done but whatever they do is going to cost a fortune but I fully expect the owners to find every financial opportunity to share the cost.

I have just re-read this and wince at my "until we are an established league club" quote. Of course, I meant to say as one of the oldest established Football League clubs, who found themselves temporarily in the National League.

Sorry about that.
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 50
Poojah
June 30, 2022, 9:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,895
Gold Stars: 1,527
Quoted from It Bites

Thank you 💝

No worries. I think I may have misremembered there being fans in there in my time watching Town though. I can’t remember that many truly packed out away ends in those days, largely as the Osmond will have held over 3,000 at the time with most of it standing, but Newcastle when they won promotion at BP certainly did and it doesn’t like like it was in use.

Probably tricky to bring an area of the ground which hasn’t been used in 30+ years back into action, but who knows.

[img]https://i.ibb.co/gm7LQrL/52675571-123-E-49-FC-973-A-86218-B4-FCF1-A.jpg[/img]

Also noticeable that the Osmond still had fences up. I didn’t think I’d ever seen that in my time watching live football, but apparently I have.

Hell of a team Newcastle had out that night. Probably the best I’ve seen Town face in a league game.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 50
It Bites
June 30, 2022, 9:35pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,216
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from Poojah

No worries. I think I may have misremembered there being fans in there in my time watching Town though. I can’t remember that many truly packed out away ends in those days, largely as the Osmond will have held over 3,000 at the time with most of it standing, but Newcastle when they won promotion at BP certainly did and it doesn’t like like it was in use.

Probably tricky to bring an area of the ground which hasn’t been used in 30+ years back into action, but who knows.

[img]https://i.ibb.co/gm7LQrL/52675571-123-E-49-FC-973-A-86218-B4-FCF1-A.jpg[/img]

Also noticeable that the Osmond still had fences up. I didn’t think I’d ever seen that in my time watching live football, but apparently I have.

Hell of a team Newcastle had out that night. Probably the best I’ve seen Town face in a league game.

Was that when Newcastle had the bottom of the Findus ?
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 50
Poojah
June 30, 2022, 9:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,895
Gold Stars: 1,527
Quoted from It Bites

Was that when Newcastle had the bottom of the Findus ?

I’m not sure. I’d have been 7 or 8 and sat with my mum of all people in the Upper that night; one of the very rare occasions I can ever remember her going to a game.

The thing I remember most was just how many Geordie’s there were in there. I was too young to quite understand what a ‘Geordie’ was back then, I hadn’t even had chance to get into Byker Grove yet, but we were totally surrounded by people who I couldn’t understand a word they were saying. It was just noise, to my ears.

So not sure whether we gave them the lower but we may as well have done - they were everywhere!

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 50
HerveJosse
June 30, 2022, 10:08pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,209
Gold Stars: 145
I stood in the terraced corner between the Main and Osmond for a while in the seventies when our crowds were large. It always seemed to be big area and held a couple of thousand standing had great acoustics and for a while was a rival to the pontoon for singing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 50
GollyGTFC
July 1, 2022, 6:16am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,066
Gold Stars: 359
That tiny bit of terrace in the corner between the Main Stand and Osmond Stand still has the pre-1995 terracing which isn’t suitable for installing seats on.

In 1995 we didn’t just put seats in the Pontoon & Osmond standing area. Both stands had the terracing completely replaced.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 46 - 50
aldi_01
July 1, 2022, 6:27am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
The cage resembles something not too dissimilar to the away ends I’ve been in in Italy.

I guess it’s been covered already but I’m not sure redeveloping it for a few games is worth it.

When we eventually get a new ground I hope we have a ticket tout terrace to go with the JSF stand…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 50
1mickylyons
July 1, 2022, 7:29am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,388
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Poojah

I’m not sure. I’d have been 7 or 8 and sat with my mum of all people in the Upper that night; one of the very rare occasions I can ever remember her going to a game.

The thing I remember most was just how many Geordie’s there were in there. I was too young to quite understand what a ‘Geordie’ was back then, I hadn’t even had chance to get into Byker Grove yet, but we were totally surrounded by people who I couldn’t understand a word they were saying. It was just noise, to my ears.

So not sure whether we gave them the lower but we may as well have done - they were everywhere!

The Osmond  held around during 6k when it was standing with a few seats.Newcastle were given half the lower they also got hundreds in the Main and a sizeable number in the Upper. At one point during the game around 100 or so where in the terracing with Town fans mainly in the corner between the Pontoon and Lower. They decided to make themselves known to a packed Pontoon and got very quickly removed after a brief but nasty skirmish.The gate officially was just over 14k in reality there were far more in the ground than the 17k V Spurs.I would guesstimate in excess of 10k Geordies got in that night
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 50
July 1, 2022, 8:21am
Guest User
Quoted from 1mickylyons

The Osmond  held around during 6k when it was standing with a few seats.  Newcastle were given half the lower they also got hundreds in the Main and a sizeable number in the Upper. At one point during the game around 100 or so where in the terracing with Town fans mainly in the corner between the Pontoon and Lower. They decided to make themselves known to a packed Pontoon and got very quickly removed after a brief but nasty skirmish. The gate officially was just over 14k in reality there were far more in the ground than the 17k V Spurs.I would guesstimate in excess of 10k Geordies got in that night

I remember that vividly, I was in the Pontoon that night, and the Newcastle fans WERE everywhere, although I don't actually remember any in the Pontoon itself.

Reply: 49 - 50
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Ground/ Stands

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.