Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Fixture Feelings: who do you want, when?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 242 Guests

Fixture Feelings: who do you want, when?

This thread currently has 2,904 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
HackneyHaddock
June 21, 2022, 6:26pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
So it's Fixture Release Eve Eve, and I'm sure we've all got games we're looking out for, whether it's a local game as an exiled fan, maybe the Christmas fixtures, bank holidays, or you might, like me, be planning a trip for opening day and just hope you can get in!!

So...who do you want first up?  Home or away?
Which games would you like to see around Christmas?
Which trips and grounds are you looking forward to?
Will we even be able to get a ticket?
Will we see the return of the green seats?

I'll start by putting in a prayer to the football Gods for a home game to open the season, against a team with a small following (Crawley or Stevenage maybe) so we can have town fans in the Osmond (and therefore making it more likely I can get a ticket!).  A hot Opening Day with a full house and a great atmosphere would be amazing.

As for other games, I don't mind too much, but looking forward to Sutton and Wimbledon away, having not gone in 1989, and of course Orient which is always good fun.
Logged Offline
Private Message
ginnywings
June 21, 2022, 6:52pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Just hope it's as good a day as our last first fixture back in the EFL.

Sunny day, home game and a 2-0 win.

We were all so positive and feeling great to be back, looking forward to a bright future in the league. This time, I think we actually have one.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 32
Mariner_501
June 21, 2022, 6:56pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +14 / -8
Approval: +223
Gold Stars: 28
Can’t make the opening game so an away game please (not Doncaster)
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 32
Limerick Mariner
June 21, 2022, 7:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,745
Gold Stars: 138
Yep - I'm for a tinpotter at home, or club with big away end, but not Donny, Stocky or Bradford - the police would throw their toys out and put some stupid restriction on it. The Times and Daily Wail journos would be out with their own sniffer dogs. Not London either, I wouldn't get a ticket for Orient or AFCW. Not Stevenage, no further comment needed. Carlisle, Tranmere or Swindon perhaps...?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 32
pontoonlew
June 21, 2022, 7:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,098
Gold Stars: 181
Selfishly I can’t go to the first two games so Crawley away followed by Sutton at home then Bradford away please!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 32
ska face
June 21, 2022, 7:19pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,811
Gold Stars: 852
It’ll be nice not to have the potential of a KO being moved for TV at 10 days’ notice this season, might help keep travel costs down.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 32
Poojah
June 21, 2022, 7:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,882
Gold Stars: 1,525
I’m praying it’s a home game to start with, as I’m the away on holiday for the first three weeks of August (speculatively booked last summer, when worrying about our first game back in the league seemed like it would be a few years away at least).

I think the ideal would indeed be a side with a smaller following at home. I can think of occasions when we’ve had Town fans in the larger section of the Osmond, but I can’t recall us filling it. That would be great.

If not that, then a side with a big and vocal away following, like Bradford perhaps, would be the next best thing.

If it’s away, then I pray it’s somewhere that can take our numbers. There aren’t many clubs that are going to be able to handle the demand for that first game. Donny and Bradford have the ability to offer biggish allocations (about 4,000 and 3,200 respectively) but the relative short distance is still going to mean that won’t be enough.

Tranmere, a bit further away but limited to a 2,500 allocation still isn’t going to cover it.

Carlisle offer up to 3,700 which might just about meet demand, but I think it would be a close run thing. That only really leaves Swindon, which is both a ball ache to get go and offers up to 3,300 putting them in a similar bracket.

And that’s it. At the other end of the spectrum Harrogate away would be an absolute nightmare, and you’d hope the EFL have measures in place to factor these kind of things into account, but you never know.

If Town go well next season, this problem is going to be a frequently recurring theme. I think there’s a reasonable chance we’ll have the biggest average away following in the division next season.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 32
Mariner_09
June 21, 2022, 7:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
I think it would be good to have our first game back in the league at home. Hopefully to someone nondescript like Barrow, Newport, Salford, Crawley or Sutton. Someone who would bring next to no fans as I reckon we could sell out the Osmond on the first day of the season.

Following that, I’d like a decent but doable trip as our first away game the following weekend. To somewhere like Carlisle or Northampton. We’ll still take an absolute shed load but demand should be somewhat diminished by a decent trip (increasing my chances of getting a ticket)!

If the EFL is bright, they will send us to Harrogate on a Tuesday night in January. By then, the season could well be fizzling out (sadly it remains possible despite all the optimism), plus a cold Tuesday night in winter will put plenty off anyway. If they’re anything like the NL though they’ll send us there on August 6th or December 17th, which will cause chaos cos Town fans will likely sell out the home end, let alone the away one.

One of the games against Bradford or Donny just before Christmas and around Easter would be good. Send us to Mansfield, or better still let us play at home, on Boxing Day. But reckon they’re more likely to make us traipse off to Colchester or Newport around Christmas, just as they’ll be able to cope with the demand.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 32
Tommy
June 21, 2022, 7:48pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,869
Gold Stars: 76
Carlisle away would be grand.

Could accommodate a big away following from us and we'd take loads more than we would if we played there mid-season.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 32
Grantham_Mariner
June 21, 2022, 7:55pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,204
Gold Stars: 51
Scunthorpe away..........................................

.........................................But it may never happen again.  

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 32
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Fixture Feelings: who do you want, when?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.