Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Tranmere Rovers: Plan for 15k to 25,000 Stadium
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 261 Guests

Tranmere Rovers: Plan for 15k to 25,000 Stadium

This thread currently has 2,814 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Nelly GTFC
June 13, 2022, 9:36pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,761
Gold Stars: 31
Today (13 June 2022) plans for a new home for Tranmere Rovers have moved a step closer after proposed crucial funding was accepted. The fees for the feasibility study were locked in at £200,000 - half from the council and half from the combined authority - and it was expected to complete by January 2023 Link: https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/plans-new-tranmere-rovers-ground-24217765

Almost 900 homes to be built in huge Wirral Waters plan. Link: https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/almost-900-homes-built-huge-24163645
Quoted from BBC News | Posted on 1 June 2022
Plans for a new 15,000-seat stadium for Tranmere Rovers on former dockland are to be considered by Wirral Council.

Councillors will discuss partially funding a feasibility study for a £100m Sports City on Bidston Dock, with the club's ground as its centrepiece.

The scheme could be a "major catalyst" to regenerate Birkenhead and safeguard the club's future, a report said.

The authority will consider matching £100,000 pledged by the Liverpool City Region Combined Authority (LCRCA).

The total cost of the study would be £200,000 and the council would use capital funding, meaning the money would not compete with day-to-day services such as leisure centres or adult social care for resources, the Local Democracy Reporting Service said.

'Community asset'
Plans for the project, which would be part of the Wirral Waters development, include a digital golf driving range, food and retail outlets and a sports science facility.

A hotel and conference and event facilities are also included in the stadium plan, with potential to increase the ground's capacity to 25,000.

A Wirral Council report said the scheme would be "a major catalyst to the Wirral Waters programme", a plan for up to 13,000 homes on the Birkenhead docklands over the next 25 years.
Further reading here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-61730268

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
mimma
June 14, 2022, 1:23am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,580
Gold Stars: 78
What is interesting is how their local council are involved and putting money into this study.

We have to fund it ourselves and then sit around ten years while N. E. Lincs council sit around and debate planning permission. Our council will do absolutely SFA to help the club, but turn up to celebrate us getting promotion when the TV cameras are in town to make it look as if they are bothered.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 23
aldi_01
June 14, 2022, 6:17am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from mimma
What is interesting is how their local council are involved and putting money into this study.

We have to fund it ourselves and then sit around ten years while N. E. Lincs council sit around and debate planning permission. Our council will do absolutely SFA to help the club, but turn up to celebrate us getting promotion when the TV cameras are in town to make it look as if they are bothered.

Whilst evidence does support this, you also have to factor in that our new regime haven’t deemed a new ground to be a key priority. I don’t doubt they’re exploring it but they’re certainly not spunking cash and going to the papers with poorly worded statements about it which we are very much used to.

I always wondered if the reason the council weren’t supportive was because of who would be leading the project, perhaps they had little faith in what we now know to be the worst ownership and bunch of custodians the club has ever had. Let’s face it, the club cosied up to nothing more than a bunch of charlatans with a goby wife and couldn’t see that it was a joke outfit, the fans did mind, but not the people in control…perhaps the council saw that?

We’ve obsessed over a new ground for years, or Fenty did. As a fan, right now there are other things that receive my attention and whilst BP is no futuristic, modern stadium, it’s still far from the worst.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 23
grimps
June 14, 2022, 7:33am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,158
Gold Stars: 46
Our ground is that bad and unfit for purpose I’d be happy to take their old one
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 23
fishboyUTM
June 14, 2022, 8:27am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,072
Gold Stars: 40
They have a good ground already. Not sure about the 24/7 income aspect of it, but our need is certainly greater.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 23
diehardmariner
June 14, 2022, 9:20am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,716
Gold Stars: 543
Quoted from aldi_01

Whilst evidence does support this, you also have to factor in that our new regime haven’t deemed a new ground to be a key priority. I don’t doubt they’re exploring it but they’re certainly not spunking cash and going to the papers with poorly worded statements about it which we are very much used to.

I always wondered if the reason the council weren’t supportive was because of who would be leading the project, perhaps they had little faith in what we now know to be the worst ownership and bunch of custodians the club has ever had. Let’s face it, the club cosied up to nothing more than a bunch of charlatans with a goby wife and couldn’t see that it was a joke outfit, the fans did mind, but not the people in control…perhaps the council saw that?

We’ve obsessed over a new ground for years, or Fenty did. As a fan, right now there are other things that receive my attention and whilst BP is no futuristic, modern stadium, it’s still far from the worst.

But Fenty was on the council for 10 years, serving as deputy and portfolio holder for regeneration during that period.  I don't think we can say the council weren't supportive just because Fenty was Fenty and who he held court with.  I just don't think there was ever a genuine offer put forward to be supported.

Extreme Leisure were supposed to deliver a new stadium for us, despite their track record of achieving sweet FA.  It was all smoke and mirrors.  I'm quite critical of NELC as they're generally so incredibly backward in their thinking.  But on this one I'm not sure there's an awful lot of blame.  

We've all got an attachment to Blundell Park, but it is holding us back.  Our season ticket sale are through the roof and it's not unfeasible to think we'll have a number of games where seats are sold with restrictive views.  That's not an experience anyone should be paying around the £20 mark for.  There's a real risk that anyone coming to games and paying that money for a poor view will not come back.  

Short term there has to be things done to BP to make our future more sustainable.  Temporary seating options in the corners is a must.  Bristol Rovers are just one club who've utilised this in the past and from pictures, they look a far better view than a lot of what we currently offer at BP.  

Long term though, we can't prosper in our current surroundings.  If we're prepared to accept that BP in its current guise is acceptable then we will have to accept that our ceiling for a constant stream of fans is relatively low, at a guesstimate I'd say about 7,500 - perhaps 8,000 at an absolute push.  Much has been made in recent seasons of Lincoln's rise through the tables.  Their ground and capacity which, as much as we may hate to admit it, is probably more appealing to the casual fan in terms of view and facilities is now limiting them.  Unless they move or develop considerably they're restricted by their numbers.  It's no good selling out every week and having 1,000 fans on the waiting list.  That waiting list won't stay there forever, eventually those people will find something else to do.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 23
lew chaterleys lover
June 14, 2022, 9:29am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,774
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from diehardmariner

But Fenty was on the council for 10 years, serving as deputy and portfolio holder for regeneration during that period.  I don't think we can say the council weren't supportive just because Fenty was Fenty and who he held court with.  I just don't think there was ever a genuine offer put forward to be supported.

Extreme Leisure were supposed to deliver a new stadium for us, despite their track record of achieving sweet FA.  It was all smoke and mirrors.  I'm quite critical of NELC as they're generally so incredibly backward in their thinking.  But on this one I'm not sure there's an awful lot of blame.  

We've all got an attachment to Blundell Park, but it is holding us back.  Our season ticket sale are through the roof and it's not unfeasible to think we'll have a number of games where seats are sold with restrictive views.  That's not an experience anyone should be paying around the £20 mark for.  There's a real risk that anyone coming to games and paying that money for a poor view will not come back.  

Short term there has to be things done to BP to make our future more sustainable.  Temporary seating options in the corners is a must.  Bristol Rovers are just one club who've utilised this in the past and from pictures, they look a far better view than a lot of what we currently offer at BP.  

Long term though, we can't prosper in our current surroundings.  If we're prepared to accept that BP in its current guise is acceptable then we will have to accept that our ceiling for a constant stream of fans is relatively low, at a guesstimate I'd say about 7,500 - perhaps 8,000 at an absolute push.  Much has been made in recent seasons of Lincoln's rise through the tables.  Their ground and capacity which, as much as we may hate to admit it, is probably more appealing to the casual fan in terms of view and facilities is now limiting them.  Unless they move or develop considerably they're restricted by their numbers.  It's no good selling out every week and having 1,000 fans on the waiting list.  That waiting list won't stay there forever, eventually those people will find something else to do.

The new owners have only just got their feet under the table so give it time.

A new stadium if at all will be a decade away and there is plenty that could be done to BP in the meantime - particularly increasing capacity if we put our mind to it. What a problem to have!
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 23
DB
June 14, 2022, 9:34am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.39
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,056
Gold Stars: 391

The new owners have only just got their feet under the table so give it time.

A new stadium if at all will be a decade away and there is plenty that could be done to BP in the meantime - particularly increasing capacity if we put our mind to it. What a problem to have!

I agree Lew. We've come a long way in 2 years from being down and out to rising up with a potential record-breaking sale of season tickets.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 23
diehardmariner
June 14, 2022, 9:36am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,716
Gold Stars: 543
100%!

As said, long term and it certainly is a great problem to have. 4 summers ago we were told our low season ticket sales would pick up if England had a good Euro 2018.  Some progress that.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 23
ska face
June 14, 2022, 9:40am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,811
Gold Stars: 852
Quoted from mimma

From what I can remember, a number of different feasibility studies were undertaken, including one by the Council, though these didn’t serve up the answers that Fenty wanted. The feasibility study undertaken by the club’s preferred consultants (was it SLC or something like that?) seemed quite cleared skewed towards concluding that the only feasible site was the one Fenty had in mind. Could be wrong, but that was my impression at the time.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 23
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Tranmere Rovers: Plan for 15k to 25,000 Stadium

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.