ginnywings
June 8, 2022, 8:10pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Tommy
Can't believe we're criticising sousa for that cross to Clifton. It was on a flipping plate for him to tap it in. A yard off the ground or not.

With better finishing from his team-mates Sousa could have had a couple of assists on Sunday.

I actually thought it looked like there was a conscious effort from him to get earlier balls into the box as opposed to trying to twist the fullback on knots first as he often has done in the past.

I'm not doubting JMD has better end product but it seems ridiculous to dig him out for this particular chance he created.

You see it as digging him out. I see it as pointing out the reason his stats are so poor. I have no axe to grind with him, he's been entertaining at times, but PH replaced him mid season for a reason.

Given the opportunities, his decision making and execution are sadly lacking.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 67
Tommy
June 8, 2022, 8:25pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,869
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from ginnywings

You see it as digging him out. I see it as pointing out the reason his stats are so poor. I have no axe to grind with him, he's been entertaining at times, but PH replaced him mid season for a reason.

Given the opportunities, his decision making and execution are sadly lacking.

Generally, I agree with your assessment ginny, I was just surprised to see so many posts criticising that delivery for the Clifton chance and using that as an example of his poor end product. My post was not a reply to solely to your post.

His end product has generally not been good enough. I recognise he has other attributes and often relieves pressure on the team by getting us higher up the pitch. But I am expecting he'll be released as PH will probably now be able to get someone who can do that but also have the end product of Maguire-Drew.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 67
MuddyWaters
June 8, 2022, 8:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Just dug out this article from when JMD signed. Pretty much backs up what’s been said.

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.c.....grimsby-town-6282219
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 67
supertown
June 8, 2022, 8:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,471
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from oochiad
He put a fantastic ball in for Clifton who should have buried it……

He didn’t . It should have been on the ground, it was bouncing
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 67
ginnywings
June 8, 2022, 8:58pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Tommy

Generally, I agree with your assessment ginny, I was just surprised to see so many posts criticising that delivery for the Clifton chance and using that as an example of his poor end product. My post was not a reply to solely to your post.

His end product has generally not been good enough. I recognise he has other attributes and often relieves pressure on the team by getting us higher up the pitch. But I am expecting he'll be released as PH will probably now be able to get someone who can do that but also have the end product of Maguire-Drew.

Fair do's Tommy.

Think we agree that we can and should have better down the wings and I expect we will. I think PH will be working on getting JMD a lot fitter for next season and also be looking at other options.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 67
acko338
June 8, 2022, 8:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +44 / -6
Approval: +3,212
Gold Stars: 33
Higher division, more skills needed !

We see wingers deliver great balls and the strikers don't make the run in time to meet them, so there are 2 sides to this story.

Mani has recently been the dirty poacher getting true reward for getting in where it hurts !

Surely, training must involve some form of running and centering to target areas for set plays and attacking moves.

In a different way of playing, Taylor has been giving great passes to McAtee for one on ones that have produced goals.

Dribbling to beat several players can be exciting, but there has to be a good percentage of end result - the accurate shot, or the measured cross to areas where attackers are heading.

An example of crossing improvement has been Amos, who must be listening to advice on where and how hard to centre the ball when chances arise, and at 22, he is still able to absorb the teaching methods.

Pre season will be important, and the early conditioning undertaken should produce the fitness, then the coaches have to get the finesse into the players to make the most of each player's abilities.

Although Solihull failed at the last hurdle, some of their crisp passing and positioning to receive colleague passes could have been Town's downfall.

I am sure that this will have gone into the manager's notebook for future referencing.

With that improvement in mind, I would not be surprised to see a new training facility as this season's main priority off the field as a new recruit enticement.

Where ??

Somewhere nearer the main road coming into Grimsby, rather than an extra trek to Cheapside each day ??

Easier vehicle access for all concerned would lower travel time stuck in cars, which makes sense.

All will be revealed soon, I hope !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 67
aldi_01
June 8, 2022, 9:23pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I like Sousa and his effort and work rate is to be commended, he did particularly well at county and Wrexham but had Sunday been a league game we’d probably be saying he had a shocker.

He has improved as the season has gone on but I wouldn’t be surprised if he moved on. Is he ready for the step up? Possibly not.

Amos and Crocombe are most certainly good enough and would be de ent acquisitions…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 67
HertsGTFC
June 8, 2022, 9:35pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
Hurst started him in our biggest game in many seasons so clearly he rates Sousa, even with Scannell not being available we still had options to pick from.

His crossing and final ball needs to be better as in a better quality league there’s a greater need to get it right first time. I still stand by that when he plays with a better attacking FB like Efete who’ll buy him space he can cause defenders real problems.

I’d be disappointed to see him go but would understand it.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 67
The Yard Dog
June 8, 2022, 9:45pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,516
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from mimma
I can't believe that we are even debating keeping Crocombe. What more does he have to do to justify keeping him? In the last minute he very calmly caught a him cross under pressure and suddenly got cramp. He nearly put Abraham's through with a lovely accurate flat kick.  I said to the guy next to me "Macca wouldn't have collected that under pressure ".
Wrexham fans were complimentary towards him, even suggesting they should get the cheque book out for him. He will only get better now he's established himself and become a cult hero.

He came in during our rough patch, defenders changing all the time, through injuries and suspensions.  When we have had a settled back four, he has become much better.  I think the defenders are confident with him commanding the box, coming for crosses into the box and actually holding onto to the ball, something that Macca struggled with.
Some of those saves in the play-offs were amazing, I for one would be happy to see him between the sticks next season.
Macca was a good shot stopper, but never commanded his box, which was his achilles heel.
When your defenders have confidence in the keeper, to command the 18 yard box and come for crosses and hold onto it, makes their job a little bit easier.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 67
forza ivano
June 8, 2022, 9:52pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,285
Gold Stars: 266
solace for Sousa, if it doesn't work out, is that he has stepped up a division and has been a regular for 1 of the best teams in the division. Safe to say he will have at least another couple of years as a pro, with a good level National League side
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 67
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mani, Amos and Crocombe

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.