4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
RonMariner
June 7, 2022, 9:36am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,865
Gold Stars: 231
What we witnessed over this last fortnight is unforgettable. I am so proud of the team, the manager, the staff, the owners and the fans. It as been the most memorable fortnight in my 50 odd years of being a Town fan.

Yes, it was simply the best.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 34
Zmariner
June 7, 2022, 9:56am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,131
Gold Stars: 44
Completely agree, The achievement is ridiculous.
As if the National League wasn’t hard enough to get out last time ,this time was way more difficult.
I must confess stood in the concourse of the London Stadium on Sunday when we were losing at half-time I felt a bit gutted and wondered if our race was run.
The delirium of the second half made it for me one of the greatest weekends ever. Strangely I really enjoyed the venue as well, found a cracking little bar before the game and just enjoyed the atmosphere. I am not going to lie and say I enjoyed the game I found it very stressful but win or lose was very proud of them and this has not been the case for a long time . The connection and the pride was back and I am sorry to say that I had lost some of this over the past few years I’ve been been a fanatical fan all my life
utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 34
ginnywings
June 7, 2022, 10:10am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from TonySmith
    What he said! What a superb summary of the events of this extraordinary season! I wholeheartedly agree with every word and want to thank you for taking the time to so eloquently express what many of us are thinking and feeling.

Paul Hurst and his coaching staff really have to take a huge amount of credit for what has been achieved. It strikes me that Hurst has had to rebuild the team not once, not twice, but three times since he arrived only 18 months or so ago. The first rebuild was in an attempt to keep us in the league, which narrowly failed despite obvious on field improvements. Then the second rebuild was to create a team to start this season, which had us top of the league in the early months of the season. Then after McAtee's injury and a sudden seeming inability to score became apparent, a third rebuild was necessary as loanees departed and ways had to be found to replace players who had done well and find more goals in the team. This was accomplished with a mixture of astute loan and permanent signings to get us back on the winning path to securing a slightly deceptive 6th place finish. And the rest is now history.

And speaking of history, I think it's worth remembering that this is also the 50th anniversary of the 71-72 Tees Brace Boylen etc. promotion season under Big Lawrie. That was where it all started for me as a 12 year old and the love affair is still going strong! In the words of that great 70's football cliche,"I'm over the moon, David!"

We are the same age then. I was also 12 that season; my first as a regular at BP.

I was thinking about it on Sunday, as my 50th season drew to a fantastic ending.

What we have achieved this season is nothing short of staggering, considering the low point we started from a year ago.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 34
DB
June 7, 2022, 10:19am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.39
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,055
Gold Stars: 391
I'm still buzzing.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 34
RonMariner
June 7, 2022, 10:22am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,865
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from DB
I'm still buzzing.

I still haven’t got my voice back! Still croaking!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 34
jimgtfc
June 7, 2022, 10:25am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,104
Gold Stars: 46
The last 2 weeks will live in town legend and be spoken about for centuries, long after we’ve all gone. Quite literally unforgettable.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 34
June 7, 2022, 10:40am
Guest User
My first season watching Town was 1979-80 and I was hooked from my very first game, a 4 3 home win over Blackpool. Until Sunday, that was still my favourite season ever followed by 1989-90.

Like others, the immense sense of pride I felt at the Weymouth home game  took me by surprise. Having our club back was cause enough to celebrate.

The drama since February surpasses anything I have experienced before and that isn't forgetting some of the late goals we scored in earlier games. I was privileged enough to be at all three play-off games and I doubt anything like that will be seen again at any club. From despair to elation at times in all three games.

I am so grateful we got out of the NL at the first attempt. It is the biggest promotion I have experienced  and we will do much better. Proud to be part of it all. Also thrilled by the way we supported each other trying to get those less fortunate to the final.

Still hoarse from the shouting and the ruined voice is a badge of honour. I'm coming over for the reception today. I don't want to miss any of it.

I'm also really touched by all the personal messages I received from fans of other clubs. We really are held in high regard. One was from a Solihull fan who said we deserved it and he was pleased because he knew how much it meant to me.

UTM

Reply: 16 - 34
Grimsby2012
June 7, 2022, 11:06am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +12 / -8
Approval: -1,464
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from Poojah

Up the fúcking Mariners! I love you.

A bit long winded... So basically the above.

I blocked seeing red ticks years ago so go ahead   If I don't reply to you then i didn't read your replies  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 34
Bristol Mariner
June 7, 2022, 11:51am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
I missed the winning goal. I was sat in concourse not able to watch.

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 34
A Brace Of Tees
June 7, 2022, 2:36pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +706
Gold Stars: 3
I'm a bit the same Poojah in that it's taken me a few days to process what has been a staggering achievement, especially considering where we were a year ago.

We knew Hurst could create brilliant team spirit and had an eye for unearthing players who hadn't cut it previously - but this has surely gone up a notch.

We now have a club which is looked after by people who wish to embrace the fans, rather than use GTFC as a plaything to massage their ego. We also have a management team which is very professional and know what they're doing - unlike the buffoons who preceded them in recent years. And of course we have some of the best fans outside the premier league who act like we have an extra man out there on the pitch.

And how fitting this has all happened on the 50th anniversary of McMenemy's promotion team which also signalled a rise from the ashes.

Congratulations to everyone at the club for what's been achieved during this incredible season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 34
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The magnitude of what we’ve just done

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.