Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 13 months ago........
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 266 Guests

13 months ago........

This thread currently has 884 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
DB
June 6, 2022, 8:20am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.39
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,056
Gold Stars: 391
Thirteen months ago we acquired new owners, Jason and Andrew, who told us that they knew nothing about running a football club. Not to worry we've appointed Debbie to be in charge and she knows nothing about running a football and to be certain we've got it right we're keeping the manager who got us relegated.

As positive as I am it was not a recipe for success, more like mid table if were lucky and we'll think about promotion next year. And add to the mix we had few players to build a team around so a new team had to be built from nowhere. When you think about it we had nothing to sell the club to new players apart from one very big thing. Fenty had gone and the word was out, a phoenix was born.

First few weeks we topped the league and by Christmas we were in the middle of a bad spell. peaked too early and Hurst out was the cry. Turn of the year had seen staff come and go along with players, we're out of the play offs and topping the league for that promotion spot was miles away. Those who predicted mid table look like being spot on.

But then those fine lines which lost us matches started to work in our favour, injured players had returned bolstered by new signings and we had a squad who believed in themselves. The play offs were in our grasp and in my positive thoughts 2nd or 3 spot, but I settled for 6th.

I'm not repeating what happened in the last few days we all have our memories. These 13 months we have gone from down and out back to our place in the football league. So who do we thank?

John and Andrew are not millionaires by making bad decisions. Debbie is putting the right people in the right places. Paul Hurst has been unshackled to do his job of managing a football team. The players have all shown commitment but yet there is one person, to me the most important person the club has, envied by all in the national league.

The 12th man. You, me and all the supporters, home and away. In Asia, North America,etc. and exiled fans all around the country. Fans who cannot attend matches for health or financial reasons. A big thank you from me to all of you for helping get. not my club, but our club promoted back into the football league.

Edit.
Just read this in the GL

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-news/grimsby-town-superfan-travels-way-7167770

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
crusty ole pie
June 6, 2022, 8:45am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,382
Gold Stars: 66
Quoted from DB
Thirteen months ago we acquired new owners, Jason and Andrew, who told us that they knew nothing about running a football club. Not to worry we've appointed Debbie to be in charge and she knows nothing about running a football and to be certain we've got it right we're keeping the manager who got us relegated.

As positive as I am it was not a recipe for success, more like mid table if were lucky and we'll think about promotion next year. And add to the mix we had few players to build a team around so a new team had to be built from nowhere. When you think about it we had nothing to sell the club to new players apart from one very big thing. Fenty had gone and the word was out, a phoenix was born.

First few weeks we topped the league and by Christmas we were in the middle of a bad spell. peaked too early and Hurst out was the cry. Turn of the year had seen staff come and go along with players, we're out of the play offs and topping the league for that promotion spot was miles away. Those who predicted mid table look like being spot on.

But then those fine lines which lost us matches started to work in our favour, injured players had returned bolstered by new signings and we had a squad who believed in themselves. The play offs were in our grasp and in my positive thoughts 2nd or 3 spot, but I settled for 6th.

I'm not repeating what happened in the last few days we all have our memories. These 13 months we have gone from down and out back to our place in the football league. So who do we thank?

John and Andrew are not millionaires by making bad decisions. Debbie is putting the right people in the right places. Paul Hurst has been unshackled to do his job of managing a football team. The players have all shown commitment but yet there is one person, to me the most important person the club has, envied by all in the national league.

The 12th man. You, me and all the supporters, home and away. In Asia, North America,etc. and exiled fans all around the country. Fans who cannot attend matches for health or financial reasons. A big thank you from me to all of you for helping get. not my club, but our club promoted back into the football league.

Edit.
Just read this in the GL

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-news/grimsby-town-superfan-travels-way-7167770

Great post
Never been so drained by two weeks of adrenaline fuelled  football as much as I wanted to party and drink champagne into the early hours my old body said enough is enough so was in bed at 10 but heyho stopping off at Southwell on the way home so hopefully get a few winners utm x see you all in the park next month
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 7
Roast Em Bobby
June 6, 2022, 8:50am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,728
Gold Stars: 44
When are you going to own up to starting the Hurst Out thread DB?

https://forum.thefishy.co.uk/Blah.pl?m-1642874539/s-0/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 7
DB
June 6, 2022, 8:56am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.39
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,056
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby
When you going to own up to starting the Hurst Out thread DB?

If you read what I posted several days you will have seen that I did that. So for your benefit, I was wrong and as I posted at that time I am very pleased Paul Hurst proved me wrong.

Football is about passion and desire at any time in the season and wanting the best for your club. I'm still buzzing about yesterday but look to the future with promotion to League 1 with Paul Hurst.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 7
Roast Em Bobby
June 6, 2022, 9:00am
Fine Wine Drinker
Fair play - at least you’ve owned up 👍
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 7
headingly_mariner
June 6, 2022, 9:07am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 124
I really thought that when we dropped out, it may take many years for us to get back of at all. So competitive is the national league. I felt with the new owners if we’d stayed in the league we would’ve seen something amazing, I felt they were so unlucky to come at a time that they couldn’t affect a catastrophic relegation.  

I really feel we will kick on now and go through league 2.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 7
Roast Em Bobby
June 6, 2022, 9:24am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from headingly_mariner
I really thought that when we dropped out, it may take many years for us to get back of at all. So competitive is the national league. I felt with the new owners if we’d stayed in the league we would’ve seen something amazing, I felt they were so unlucky to come at a time that they couldn’t affect a catastrophic relegation.  

I really feel we will kick on now and go through league 2.

If we can keep the vast majority of the squad together then I also think we've got a realistic chance of at least play-offs next year.

After being promoted last time and then pretty much struggling to score for the seasons in LG2, this season has been fantastic and really enjoyable. Before the play-offs started there was a big part of me that wouldn't have minded having another season or two in the NL and being a big fish in a small pond. However, the last few weeks have convinced me that we can go up and at least be in the upper tier of LG2.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 7
PB
June 6, 2022, 9:54am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +1 / -1
Approval: +256
Gold Stars: 3
We all will have our fantastic memories from the last two weeks, but I’d just like to add my own angle from yesterday, and how things might pan out going forward.
We met a couple of Yeovil fans in Stratford, going to the game because they were ‘football fans’ and wanted to see us, yes GTFC play. I also know that a London based Torquay United fan was there too, and he had nothing but praise for our efforts and achievement.
Maybe we are not just moving forward on the pitch, but off it as well!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 7
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 13 months ago........

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.