1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
MarinerRob
April 2, 2022, 5:30pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,432
Gold Stars: 107
Our last game against Yeovil last October before the start of the 'collapse' we were top.

Only THREE players started that game and started today.

Hurst has done a great job rebuilding whilst under pressure and found some great players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Withnail
April 2, 2022, 5:34pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 36
Yeah I noticed that only four of today's starting line up started our FA Cup game against Kidderminster.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 7
GollyGTFC
April 3, 2022, 4:49pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,066
Gold Stars: 359
Some stats after 36 league matches…

First 12 league matches…
P 12   W 9 D 2 L 1   F 27 A 11   GD +16   Pts 29

Next 12 league matches…
P 12   W 2 D 1 L 9   F 8 A 15   GD -7  Pts 7

Most recent 12 league matches…
P 12   W 8 D 2 L 2   F 20 A 9   GD +11   Pts 26

If it wasn’t for that middle spell where might we be?

Even a bang average 4 wins, 4 draws and 4 defeats would have us in 2nd now.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 2 - 7
pizzzza
April 3, 2022, 4:55pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,721
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from GollyGTFC
Some stats after 36 league matches…

First 12 league matches…
P 12   W 9 D 2 L 1   F 27 A 11   GD +16   Pts 29

Next 12 league matches…
P 12   W 2 D 1 L 9   F 8 A 15   GD -7  Pts 7

Most recent 12 league matches…
P 12   W 8 D 2 L 2   F 20 A 9   GD +11   Pts 26

If it wasn’t for that middle spell where might we be?

Even a bang average 4 wins, 4 draws and 4 defeats would have us in 2nd now.

A real excrement sandwich type of season
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 7
Manchester Mariner
April 3, 2022, 5:29pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,822
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from pizzzza

If this season for Town was a movie you would stick that quote on the poster.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 7
Limerick Mariner
April 3, 2022, 5:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,744
Gold Stars: 138
Quoted from pizzzza

I'd like to think it is a shite sandwich cake of a season and that the icing, sprinkled with hundreds and thousands, is yet to be laid on top...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 7
Yossarian
April 3, 2022, 7:48pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,097
Gold Stars: 19
I do think Hurst has done a good job  - the churn, building up the squad from almost zero ...  brought in some some very very good players.  He has a very calm vibe about him post-match.  We had a mid-season brain-fart but the quality at this level is much higher than when we were last in this league.  

Even if we dont go up this season I have never been more engaged and enthused about this football club.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 7
DaleH
April 3, 2022, 8:17pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +809
Gold Stars: 168
Paul is a super manager. He took over an absolute head-ache of a scenario last season.

Managing a football club is a perpetual series of adjustments, resets, recruiting, scratching your head, banging it against the wall, enjoying the highs, coping with the lows and the indifferent, staying grounded, and having a plan. With the need to be able to reverse a bit and adjust that plan when things don’t work out as you had hoped.

Paul ticks all of those boxes. I was gutted when he left first time around. I’ve been impressed with him from the first time I saw him take over the sole reins following Shouty’s departure. I get that for some supporters, they want everything today, and have little patience to wait. But football management is not like that I’m afraid. If you look at some of the greatest manager/coaches in the world, they’ve had experiences where they haven’t hit the floor running. The likes of Ferguson at Utd and Klopp at Liverpool are testament to that, at the very highest level.

I like his character and it often amuses me that he refers to himself as a dower Yorkshireman. I actually like that he isn’t a fan of hogging the limelight, isn’t PR hungry, but accommodates that part of the job in quite a quiet and well considered manner.

I think that his recruitment record has been great over the years. He’s pulled some real rabbits out of the hat. And I like that he’s capable of recruiting, recognising when occasionally, the reality of his signings weren’t perhaps equal to his perception, and he makes no hesitation to address that, if he feels a player he’s brought in doesn’t fit after all.

We are in very good hands, and he will get us back into the EFL. Hopefully this season, but I’m not panicking if it doesn’t happen, as he'll get us there in a reasonable period of time.

I think the original poster has picked up on something quite profound. Paul’s ability to build but then have to change as and when required. That’s key.

Dale H
#UTM

"BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 7
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What a turn around

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.