6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
April 1, 2022, 9:19pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

You would hope Netherlands and Senegal would get it done against Qatar. Unless Ecuador are swayed by the bribe of cheap gas, you wouldn’t expect Qatar to beat them either (finished fourth in qualifying above Chile, Colombia and Peru. Drew with Argentina at home (at sea level) and away and drew at home to Brasil (admittedly in Quito)).

I’m not that convinced by the South Americans these days, and wouldn’t rate 4th in their qualifiers that impressive. The FIFA rankings don’t rate Equador that highly. An easier group than other minnows.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 53
Manchester Mariner
April 1, 2022, 9:51pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,822
Gold Stars: 41
As much as it's all very corrupt Qatar got to host the world cup and it'll be a bit of a dubious and subdued event as a whole, I'm pretty confident Qatar will not be getting out of their group.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 53
lukeo
April 2, 2022, 5:06am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,417
Gold Stars: 149
Don't say it.
I wont say it.
I cant say it.
It's..
It's....
It's coming home 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 😂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 53
HertsGTFC
April 2, 2022, 9:16am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
Though they’re not the first, clearly the hosts bought the tournament but it probably led to some of the corruption being removed from FIFA when at least one dubious individual in Blatter was exposed for what he and I’d suspect many of his contemporaries are truly about.

Then there is the human rights stuff which in my mind is another reason why they and countries like them should not be considered, yes respect others culture, history & tradition but there is a line to be drawn. I actually think the FA are a bit compromised here considering the mandate is quite rightly about inclusion & equality.

Fifa do have form though Brazil, South Africa, Argentina and Russia may not have been openly poor choices but all had issues that could be questionable at the time some political some humanitarian and some socioeconomic. If you like a conspiracy you could also include the USA in that category as I’m sure they’re always up to something.

All that said for around a month at the end of the year I would imagine it will all be forgotten. God help any visitor who “steps out of line” though. I do expect the tournament to be well organised as despite some people’s perception this is not a 3rd world country.

In terms of the group? The USA are competent but we should beat them. The Iran game might be decent as from what I’ve seen they like to get the ball down and move it quickly this may be a bit of a challenge but will create space for England to play. The job needs to be done by the 3rd game as whoever we play will be riding on such a wave of emotion that it could go either way I reckon.

In terms if winners? I think the timing, environment and climate will play a part. Despite a semi & a final in the last 2 tournaments and the players probably not as knackered as they often are England to make it no further than the QF, Brazil, France or as an outside bet Portugal to win it.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 53
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › World Cup Draw

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.