ska face
March 29, 2022, 1:08pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,811
Gold Stars: 852
Quoted from DB
Ever since the term 'Human Resource' was introduced instead of 'Personnel' I've hated it. Resources, to me, are materials and machinery, not blood and flesh. A person is far more important than a machine, gold, or any other type of ore.

We are just starting to get over another Human Resource, the Slave Trade, and now condemn its past so why continue with such a dreadful name.

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/L5fw7D63/8-E8-AB5-FC-5-E19-4-B35-9-A5-C-FAFC84867-B1-D.jpg[/img]
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 54
jamesgtfc
March 29, 2022, 1:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Chrisblor

It's used all the time by tech and start-up businesses who for some reason have an aversion to the word "induction". 100% a Stockwood influenced vocab choice.

In a parallel universe John and Nick would currently be discussing what our female fans would be using as their tampon of choice this weekend at Chesterfield.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 54
aldi_01
March 29, 2022, 1:32pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Maringer
Businessfolk like to coin new verbs. 'Ringfencing' is one which only appeared a decade ago or so, I seem to recall.

This is true, I remember when austerity seriously kicked in and local authorities spent thousands on companies to tell them they need to save cash…my place of work was ‘ringfenced’ but the company…then we received letters saying our jobs could be at risk🙈

Funniest thing was our funding was from the home office…not the local authority so we were 100% safe anyway…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 54
golfer
March 29, 2022, 2:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Nah, that’s not right. But you have solved Fermat’s last theorum.

Fermat's theorum was about DIVISION , my theorum was about DIVISION 2 and promotion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 54
RichMariner
March 29, 2022, 4:57pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,164
Gold Stars: 211
I think a lot of companies are now choosing to call HR teams 'People' teams. Seems more human, ironically.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 24 - 54
KingstonMariner
March 29, 2022, 6:31pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from RichMariner
I think a lot of companies are now choosing to call HR teams 'People' teams. Seems more human, ironically.

Yeah GTFC, get with the program. 😉

My employer has a ‘People* organisation’. Departments are not departments any more either.

* not sue if you have to be a People Person to work there.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 54
Gaffer58
March 29, 2022, 7:22pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
When I began at British steel in the early seventies it was called Industrial Relations, they seemed to be fairly neutral regarding the issues, then sometime they became Human Resources and became a management tool.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 54
Bristol Mariner
March 29, 2022, 7:44pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
HR would have been called in to investigate the deconstructed flag incident.

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 54
lew chaterleys lover
March 29, 2022, 8:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,774
Gold Stars: 237
HR departments are important if they concentrate on the major issues - salaries, recruitment, staff welfare and so on.

However, my experience is that they go looking for problems, find things that aren't there and try to make themselves relevant all the time.

In this case, imagine the kerfuffle about John MacAtee's recent night out. Meetings, followed by several more meetings and witnesses called to be followed by a comprehensive report for something that was absolutely nothing. If anybody has a perceived grievance against anybody or anything the whole apparatus springs into action, which in years gone by would be sorted between the individuals over a cup of tea.

Let's hope the owners have a clear idea of what they want the HR dept. to be, and not allow it to descend into a perpetual blame game.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 54
HertsGTFC
March 29, 2022, 8:45pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
Some interesting views on here from people about “people” people.

The job is for HR Advisor, they provide advice and evaluate any risks relating to any HR stuff then it’s down to decision makers to make a decision. Any organisation that lets HR make decisions will become dysfunctional very quickly.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 54
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › HR Advisor

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.