diehardmariner
March 28, 2022, 9:46am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,719
Gold Stars: 543
Quoted from Maringer
If you want us to play as a long ball team, drop Taylor. He's the best forward at linking up play and leading the line that we've had for years which is why most teams put two men on him from goal kicks and throws.

Actually, if you want us to play long ball, you might was well put Taylor and Dieseruvwe up front together. McAtee's strength isn't in the air and teams which play for throws try to get the ball upfield quickly and press defenders into giving away throws. Can't say I'd like to see us play in this manner, however. And you're screwed if Cropper then gets injured.

I'd have thought you would want someone like McAtee to be picking up the scraps from any long ball approach?  Be it from the back or from a throw-in, I reckon a lot of the goals come from reacting quicker/better to the second ball than anything else.  

Cropper's throw is an asset and I hope we use it.  But I'd hate to see us focus all of our play around it.  As you say, screwed at the point one player becomes unavailable.  But whilst we've got that option, we might as well use it.  From anywhere within 30-35 yards of their goal it's as good as a corner, if not better.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 25
Poojah
March 28, 2022, 9:58am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,898
Gold Stars: 1,527
Quoted from diehardmariner

Cropper's throw is an asset and I hope we use it.  But I'd hate to see us focus all of our play around it.  As you say, screwed at the point one player becomes unavailable.  But whilst we've got that option, we might as well use it.  From anywhere within 30-35 yards of their goal it's as good as a corner, if not better.

I’m a believer that tactics like long throws are best used sparingly. You don’t want it to become an obvious or predictable feature of your game.

Given the nature and timing of Cropper’s selection and signing it’s probably unlikely Dagenham knew he had a long throw in his locker. I’m sure it’s surfaced before during his time at Chesterfield, but there’s no way they could have prepared for it. And that’s the key, you don’t want teams spending good time working out how to defend it, as it then becomes less effective.

Everything in moderation.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 25
oochiad
March 28, 2022, 10:41am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,724
Gold Stars: 28
Long throw ins are good to use when we’re deep in our own half under pressure as a way of alleviating said pressure. I think it would be a mistake to use it to often as an attacking threat.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 25
mimma
March 28, 2022, 11:34am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,580
Gold Stars: 78
His throw is good enough to be able to reach the other wing and stretch teams. Teams set up on the touchline for a throw, leaving the other side open. The opposition would have to leave players wide stretching them out and leaving space.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 25
Posh Harry
March 28, 2022, 1:03pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,376
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from Civvy at last

I’ve thrown a pint over a Yorkie

How is the wife 😉
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 25
lukeo
March 29, 2022, 7:31am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,420
Gold Stars: 149
Keep playing how we're playing. Watching the highlights we look like we're playing some good football in patches.
When we're within a decent reach of their penalty area or defending ours use his long throws every time (on the right) and then sparadically on the left
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 25
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Cropper's long throw ins

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.