Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Surely that's it for Scunny
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 261 Guests

Surely that's it for Scunny

This thread currently has 42,505 views. Print
26 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
bawarmy
March 17, 2022, 9:05pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +2,021
Gold Stars: 33
The overweight lady is definitely clearing her throat.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 258
moosey_club
March 17, 2022, 9:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,321
Gold Stars: 229
Quoted from bawarmy
The overweight lady is definitely clearing her throat.

She is also apparently posting videos on tik tok and twitter...

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 258
KingstonMariner
March 17, 2022, 10:31pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from RonMariner
Might be wrong but it looks to me very much like the owners have thrown the towel in and are now just trying to save a few quid on wages.

Fans would surely want thew club to keep fighting until relegation is a mathematical certainty. The team should give all they have to try and pull off an escape, even if it looks hopeless. Plenty of sides have made unlikely escapes in the past.

To simply give up, if indeed that is what is happening, would be totally inexcusable and would show utter contempt for the club and its fans. If the fans adopted that approach they be playing their last few games in an empty stadium.

They’re well on the way to that already. The fans certainly aren’t rallying round in numbers are they.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 258
diehardmariner
March 18, 2022, 10:09am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,717
Gold Stars: 543
The numbers going through their gates are interesting.

Hypothetically, if we could have gone to BP 12 months ago and Fenty was still holding onto his power, let's say for arguments sake he hadn't managed to come to an arrangement with 1878 and the club wasn't in that transition period - how do you think our numbers would have looked?
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 258
Poojah
March 18, 2022, 10:27am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,884
Gold Stars: 1,527
Quoted from diehardmariner

Hypothetically, if we could have gone to BP 12 months ago and Fenty was still holding onto his power, let's say for arguments sake he hadn't managed to come to an arrangement with 1878 and the club wasn't in that transition period - how do you think our numbers would have looked?

That’s an interesting question but almost impossible to answer as there are so many ‘butterfly effect’ moments which shaped that season; it’s very difficult to look at it through such a basic set of parameters.

If we re-trace our steps, going into our game away at Colchester on 5th December we were in a disappointing but not yet catastrophic position of 18th. At that time, I’d suggest Fenty was vaguely unpopular, but the discontent had not yet heightened. I’m also fairly confident that the bulk of fans were still behind Holloway at this point, as mad as that sounds with hindsight.

But that was the day we crossed the rubicon. The day that the Alex May story broke, and that really did change everything. The day that a grumbling underbelly of discontent for Fenty’s turned into an angry mob.

If there was no Alex May then, I suspect, there’d have been no Holloway. There would also, most likely, have been no 1878 - that was the break they needed to prise their way in. And then of course, there would have been no Hurst, no 11 new January signings. And of course, had there have been no pandemic, there’s no way our disastrous pre-season would have happened either.

Who knows what things might have looked like, both then and now. Probably, at some point, there would almost certainly have been a car crash, figuratively speaking. But then I do wonder, somewhere at the back of my mind, if you reversed all the way back to Jolley’s potty-mouthed rant at the end of 2019, that ultimately did for him, how things would be today.

Somewhere in a parallel universe I can’t help but imagine us still dicking around in the lower echelons of League Two, playing mostly dull but occasionally half-decent football, with Fenty very much in situ - vaguely but not passionately unpopular with the fans.

So here’s another question; would you swap what we’ve got today for that parallel universe?

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 258
mariner91
March 18, 2022, 10:28am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,770
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from diehardmariner

Not as low as sub 2000 home fans, that's for sure.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 258
diehardmariner
March 18, 2022, 11:51am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,717
Gold Stars: 543
It is impossible to answer, absolutely impossible.  We'll never know and it's a but for the grace of god type of not knowing.  

But if we're going down those realms of if and but, let's imagine that the Alex May story never broke.  By the time he left, from my memory, the Holloway rot had already set-in.  The impact of not having a pre-season, of signing absolute shite and of having no clear tactical conversations with his team was starting to show.  The Scunny result, let's be honest they were bloody awful that day, completely masked a poor run of form and performances.  Prior to Scunny at home we went to Southend and were woeful.  

Absolute no argument that Hurst took time to get going but that came with the additions of players like Matete, Meyanese, the 'keeper who I've completely drawn blank on, even LJL.   For Holloway's last game in charge we had Montel Gibson and Ira Jackson Jr up top.  I can't for the life of me imagine we would have even made a fist of a relegation scrap had he stayed in charge.

Then of course there's the fact we couldn't get in.  If restrictions were lifted in Jan/Feb I think numbers would have been quite high, regardless of how well we were playing or our league position.  Just because it was novelty and people missed doing something, anything!  

If we're talking that we could have gone all season, after decades of failure under Fenty I'm not massively convinced we would have even been drawing numbers that matched up to the amount of season tickets sold.  Covid and restrictions changed a lot but right before the May story broke, apathy around the club was the highest I've ever seen it.  

Easy to look down the road and almost mock them for not turning out when 'it matters most', but can you blame them?
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 258
thefish
March 18, 2022, 12:18pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -1
Approval: +2,255
Gold Stars: 67
Quoted from Poojah

That’s an interesting question but almost impossible to answer as there are so many ‘butterfly effect’ moments which shaped that season; it’s very difficult to look at it through such a basic set of parameters.

If we re-trace our steps, going into our game away at Colchester on 5th December we were in a disappointing but not yet catastrophic position of 18th. At that time, I’d suggest Fenty was vaguely unpopular, but the discontent had not yet heightened. I’m also fairly confident that the bulk of fans were still behind Holloway at this point, as mad as that sounds with hindsight.

But that was the day we crossed the rubicon. The day that the Alex May story broke, and that really did change everything. The day that a grumbling underbelly of discontent for Fenty’s turned into an angry mob.

If there was no Alex May then, I suspect, there’d have been no Holloway. There would also, most likely, have been no 1878 - that was the break they needed to prise their way in. And then of course, there would have been no Hurst, no 11 new January signings. And of course, had there have been no pandemic, there’s no way our disastrous pre-season would have happened either.

Who knows what things might have looked like, both then and now. Probably, at some point, there would almost certainly have been a car crash, figuratively speaking. But then I do wonder, somewhere at the back of my mind, if you reversed all the way back to Jolley’s potty-mouthed rant at the end of 2019, that ultimately did for him, how things would be today.

Somewhere in a parallel universe I can’t help but imagine us still dicking around in the lower echelons of League Two, playing mostly dull but occasionally half-decent football, with Fenty very much in situ - vaguely but not passionately unpopular with the fans.

So here’s another question; would you swap what we’ve got today for that parallel universe?

And here's the answer... no!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 258
Swansea_Mariner
March 18, 2022, 12:27pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,474
Gold Stars: 63
Would I swap being a perennial bottom feeder at the base of league 2 for what we have now.

No absolutely not. As difficult as it is being non league, there does now feel like opportunities for this club, that haven't existed for a very long time. Even the hint of an opportunity is better than the mere existence that the alternative offered. Now these opportunities might ultimately come to nothing, but at least there's the hope for something more.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 258
HertsGTFC
March 19, 2022, 1:15pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Poojah

No!

Our club is starting to rebuild, I’m confident that when we’ve paid off Fenty more money will go into getting us back up and more investors will be attracted to build the infrastructure.

We’re attracting good gates clearly this is driven to a degree by concessions on tickets and a few giveaways but that shows people want to support us.

It’s going in the right direction at the moment but it’s going to take a few seasons to get back up but when we do I’m sure 1878 will back the manager unlike the last regime.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 258
26 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Surely that's it for Scunny

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.