Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back...on the bus/a127 (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 245 Guests

Just Back...on the bus/a127 (merged)

This thread currently has 7,013 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
gtfc_chris
March 9, 2022, 7:54pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,519
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from friskneymariner

Just tell me when we got a number 9 in, we have on several occasions over the years been one or two players short of a league winning team.Our present position demonstrates how successive managers have been unable to put together a league winning team.

Which puts them in the same breath as the 23 other managers who also failed to win the league in their relevant divisions season on season.

You make it sound as though there's a magic formula to creating a league winning team. If players are of sufficient quality to contribute to a league winning team then everyone will be after them. What makes Grimsby a more attractive proposition than Wrexham, Chesterfield or Stockport?

The balance is between aspiring young players from better equipped academies (where any manager is accused of signing untested youth), or more experienced players with the know-how and leadership (where any manager is accused of signing has-beens). The ideal players that sit in the middle of that are the ones that cost money, the ones who want a level of security in terms of family and future and therefore want longer contracts with good wages OR a wider range of options should they leave their club, making Manchester, Birmingham, London far more attractive options just on that reason alone.

This for me is the reason that longevity with a manager has more significance at Grimsby because we are already at a disadvantage with location. I don't believe that quick fixes in football are built to last and the clubs that maintain success are the ones that persevere through adversity(ies) and come out the other side stronger for the experience.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 48
forza ivano
March 9, 2022, 8:01pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,285
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from buckstown
Interesting listening to the post match. Burns asked PH why he didn't change it earlier and it sounded to me like he didn't believe anyone from the bench would make it better

and he was right - they didn't!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 48
friskneymariner
March 9, 2022, 8:53pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from gtfc_chris

Which puts them in the same breath as the 23 other managers who also failed to win the league in their relevant divisions season on season.

You make it sound as though there's a magic formula to creating a league winning team. If players are of sufficient quality to contribute to a league winning team then everyone will be after them. What makes Grimsby a more attractive proposition than Wrexham, Chesterfield or Stockport?

The balance is between aspiring young players from better equipped academies (where any manager is accused of signing untested youth), or more experienced players with the know-how and leadership (where any manager is accused of signing has-beens). The ideal players that sit in the middle of that are the ones that cost money, the ones who want a level of security in terms of family and future and therefore want longer contracts with good wages OR a wider range of options should they leave their club, making Manchester, Birmingham, London far more attractive options just on that reason alone.

This for me is the reason that longevity with a manager has more significance at Grimsby because we are already at a disadvantage with location. I don't believe that quick fixes in football are built to last and the clubs that maintain success are the ones that persevere through adversity(ies) and come out the other side stronger for the experience.

We have in your words being persevering for a very long time.If you apply your logic of being disadvantage because of our geographical position,then we are doomed forever to wallow in the lower leagues cos baring any drastic movements of the tectonic plates we are staying where we are.It appears you are willing to justify mediocrity.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 48
Phil the cod
March 9, 2022, 8:58pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +5 / -5
Approval: -332
Gold Stars: 61
As soon as the team sheet was announced I heard Giles Coke named, I knew what the result was going to be, nothing personal against the lad,I'm sure he's a nice decent guy, but it's like playing with 10 men when he's in there. We had a run of 12 defeats was it? With him in the side......then won 5/6 and drew one without him in the side........then low and behold he's put in there.................we lose....is it a massive coincidence?
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 48
KingstonMariner
March 9, 2022, 9:05pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Oddly enough Phil, we were worse in central midfield when the man who in your opinion doesn’t count as a player was subbed off.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 48
Hagrid
March 9, 2022, 9:06pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,521
Gold Stars: 544
Quoted from Phil the cod
As soon as the team sheet was announced I heard Giles Coke named, I knew what the result was going to be, nothing personal against the lad,I'm sure he's a nice decent guy, but it's like playing with 10 men when he's in there. We had a run of 12 defeats was it? With him in the side......then won 5/6 and drew one without him in the side........then low and behold he's put in there.................we lose....is it a massive coincidence?

He also played a hell of a lot at the start of the season when we were flying
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 48
Son of Cod
March 10, 2022, 12:27am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Oddly enough Phil, we were worse in central midfield when the man who in your opinion doesn’t count as a player was subbed off.

Yeah, I agreed with everything you said earlier and I agree with this. Coke did well last night I thought. When he's rested and fully fit he puts a shift in. Some of the criticism of him this season is fair but I don't think he needs to be slated anywhere near as much as he has been.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 48
Zmariner
March 10, 2022, 8:42am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,131
Gold Stars: 44
I must confess that this defeat passed me by. Brutal truth is I thoroughly expected us to lose this game narrowly and struggled to make any chances. I still think we have a reasonable chance of the playoffs but will inevitably lose to a better team, which is just about everybody above us. In the close season Hurst needs to analyse how to get more creative as we are generally quite solid but this team really lacks a spark and if. MacAtee has an off day we are screwed. There is an absolute chasm between this team and the last thing that we got promoted with and none of the forwards would’ve got near the first team. For me, the disappointing thing this season was that when we were playing well we never had any forwards on the bench this lack of options has meant that we have been unable to convert losses to draws. I am not sure what the solution is because the creative goalscoring players cost a lot of money and if you look at the top teams, Stockport Wrexham and Chesterfield  the common link is that they are well-stocked with good forwards, in comparison we are paupers. Certainly not moaning at Hurst but it puts into perspective what a tough gig it will be to escape this league and it is almost like we need to get lucky and find a youth forward or pull somebody from lower leagues who steps up utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 48
gtfc_chris
March 10, 2022, 8:13pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,519
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from friskneymariner

We have in your words being persevering for a very long time.If you apply your logic of being disadvantage because of our geographical position,then we are doomed forever to wallow in the lower leagues cos baring any drastic movements of the tectonic plates we are staying where we are.It appears you are willing to justify mediocrity.

It's not justifying mediocrity, it's understanding the barriers that exist and being realistic in my expectation. I said in a thread a week or two ago that having grown up in the Championship era and my away days being to Norwich, Man City, West Brom etc, I believe the club should have an aspiration to once again return there.

But that has to be placed in context. In my youth, I would have argued that Luton have done it in 5 years and therefore so can we, which isn't untrue. But then the argument I'm now defending has relevance - Luton sit just outside of London. They appear an attractive Club for those released from bigger clubs in the London area. They can attract talent from up north with London on the doorstep and options available if all goes wrong. For us to do the same we would need to overcome the geographical obstacle somehow, and the only way I can think of is with money......which we don't have an abundance of.

The reality is that 24 teams compete in a league that only 1 can win. In the grand scheme of things the gap between top and bottom isn't huge and unless you have cash (Salford, Wrexham, Chesterfield, Stockport of recent years at this level), then you need to have a manager that can deliver. To deliver he needs players of good quality in all areas. He has to overcome financial hurdles, location hurdles, competing club hurdles, family situation hurdles to even stand a chance of that. We as a club also have to be attractive which in the modern game comes to include training facilities, professional approach, philosophy etc.

To the quality players who have options available to them, what makes Grimsby the best one?

It isn't justifying or accepting mediocrity, it's recognising and understanding that for us to CONTINUALLY progress, we can't simply throw money we don't have at players that still have no guarantee of replicating successes they may have had at other clubs. There's too many moving parts to have a magic formula, and if one existed every Club would be applying it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 48
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back...on the bus/a127 (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.