diehardmariner
February 24, 2022, 3:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,716
Gold Stars: 543
Quoted from quebec38

As I said, I think PH said we now have one loan left for the season. IMO I don’t think it would be wise to use that last loan on an extra winger when it could be used better elsewhere in the squad.

We're quite well stocked in most areas on the pitch though.  

Wright, Grant and Maguire-Drew are all injured at present. I'd love to think Scannell will stay fit, however...    That leaves Sousa as the only actual winger who's fit at present.  Abrahams and Clifton have and are doing jobs out there, but may (especially in the case of Abrahams) be needed elsewhere in the coming weeks.  

Width is the area we lack, in my opinion.  Crying out for someone else who can stretch the game.
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 88
ska face
February 24, 2022, 3:29pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,811
Gold Stars: 852
8 pages in, think that meets the threshold for the OP to reveal where he heard this info or face an immediate ban.
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 88
louth_in_the_south
February 24, 2022, 3:32pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,712
Gold Stars: 96
He’s got to be worth signing even if it takes 1 of the remaining loans ? We’ve got a big squad so should be able to cover most eventualities

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 88
goldenfish
February 24, 2022, 3:49pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +212
Gold Stars: 16
Vernam would improve us … it’s as simple as that really for me
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 88
quebec38
February 24, 2022, 3:53pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,588
Gold Stars: 48
Quoted from diehardmariner

We're quite well stocked in most areas on the pitch though.  

Wright, Grant and Maguire-Drew are all injured at present. I'd love to think Scannell will stay fit, however...    That leaves Sousa as the only actual winger who's fit at present.  Abrahams and Clifton have and are doing jobs out there, but may (especially in the case of Abrahams) be needed elsewhere in the coming weeks.  

Width is the area we lack, in my opinion.  Crying out for someone else who can stretch the game.

All fair points 👍🏻 . It wouldn’t be my choice to play either of them there but Hurst seems to like Clifton and Abrahams wide since both have played there ahead of actual out and out wingers. Personally I’d rather Vernam than both but I feel like Hurst has made his mind up there.

For me our main weakness is central midfield. It would be a real rabbit out of a hat scenario to find a stellar central midfielder going spare though at this point in the season. Fox is out for a while, Coke is off the pace, Clifton is preferred on the left, which leaves only Raikhy and Burgess. I thought the midfield performed well against Aldershot but I think a lot more is needed there if we are to compete and make/win the playoffs.
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 88
diehardmariner
February 24, 2022, 4:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,716
Gold Stars: 543
I agree, I'd like to see a bit more in the midfield than we've currently got.  Like yourself I think against Aldershot it looked better and I felt more balanced, but I'm not convinced it'll be enough to really challenge.  I also think adding Clifton back into the mix in there will give us something extra.  

But we're still well stocked in there, Coke might be off the pace a little but he's still an option.  As is young Khouri too.  Simply on numbers alone I can't see Hurst trying to add anything extra in there until the summer.

With enough numbers in the building to cover all eventualities, barring an injury crisis where you probably just have to accept the bad luck, I would rather see any remaining loans be used on players who will make us better in any area if they become available.  Be that in goal, right wing, left back or centre forward.  Holding onto a loan 'just in case' would be a bit negative if any opportunity for improvement came up.  It would also be a very Hurst like thing to do.
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 88
TAGG
February 24, 2022, 9:34pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,938
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from Teesknees

Pervert!

Brilliant pmsl

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 88
sonofmadeleymariner
February 24, 2022, 9:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +20 / -9
Approval: +1,451
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Errrr… Vernam was a Slade signing.

Fair enough, honest mistake could of sworn he was a Hurst loan signing

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 88
LocalLadGTFC
February 25, 2022, 6:53am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,352
Gold Stars: 140
Quoted from ska face
8 pages in, think that meets the threshold for the OP to reveal where he heard this info or face an immediate ban.

From the horse himself, overheard a conversation him and Ollie B were having in the gym and he was told he can leave on loan 👍
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 78 - 88
Mayaman
February 25, 2022, 2:32pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,442
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from golfer
Don't want him

How's Lou, Andy?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 88
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Charles Vernam

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.