Poojah
January 31, 2022, 7:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,902
Gold Stars: 1,527
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Fylde have been big spenders for a few years now. If he goes there they are a Sebastian Ring or Andrew Fox short of being a defensive reunion. If Fylde come up this season season, I expect them to be up there.

A lot of parallels with Fleetwood, not least location and they’re identikit stadium. But they did come up to the Conference and got relegated so I don’t know what the deal is with their big spending ways.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 38
ginnywings
February 1, 2022, 1:27am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Speaking of Fleetwood, Jay Matete signs for Sunderland on a 4 1/2 year deal for an undisclosed fee.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 38
aldi_01
February 1, 2022, 5:55am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Poojah

A lot of parallels with Fleetwood, not least location and they’re identikit stadium. But they did come up to the Conference and got relegated so I don’t know what the deal is with their big spending ways.

This has baffled me. Fyled spent a fortune to get to the conference and everyone assumed they’d fly straight through but never happened. Did they curtail the spending or did they not buy well…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 38
Poojah
February 1, 2022, 9:05am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
Speaking of Fleetwood, Jay Matete signs for Sunderland on a 4 1/2 year deal for an undisclosed fee.

Crikey. That’s some progress for the lad. One of the few players from last season that I’m sorry I never got to see play in town colours in the flesh. Probably the only one, actually.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 38
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 1, 2022, 11:36am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,776
Gold Stars: 82
See Matty Longstaff, who scored the winner v Man Utd on his debut, has just joined Mansfield on loan, that’s some drop in standard.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 38
Poojah
February 1, 2022, 11:50am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
See Matty Longstaff, who scored the winner v Man Utd on his debut, has just joined Mansfield on loan, that’s some drop in standard.

He’s made 20 first team appearances for Newcastle (most of them in the Premier League) so in theory that’s a very good signing for a League Two side.

The example I can never get my head around though is Mark Nicholls. He’d played nearly 40 times for a Chelsea side that was the first to really feature a host of foreign stars, had played in several European matches including the Champions League, and on occasion had been selected over Gianluca Vialli.

By the time we got him, still only in his early 20s, he was absolutely dreadful, and his career quickly fell off a cliff from there. Bizarre when you think about it.

Oh, and if course there’s the time someone paid £1m for Disco Des Hamilton. He must have had something about him at some point in his career, so where the fùck did it go?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 38
GollyGTFC
February 1, 2022, 12:49pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,069
Gold Stars: 359
Quoted from aldi_01

This has baffled me. Fyled spent a fortune to get to the conference and everyone assumed they’d fly straight through but never happened. Did they curtail the spending or did they not buy well…

It was Fylde who lost to Salford in the 2019 National League Promotion Final. They spectacularly saved their worst performance of the season for the biggest game in their history.

The following year everything fell apart at the start of the season, they sacked Dave Challinor (who has since won one promotion for the NL & could have a 2nd this season) and they found themselves down in 23rd.

They finally started to turn their season around & had won 2 National League fixtures in a row when the season was stopped for COVID.

When the season stopped they were 2 points behind Maidenhead (22nd) with 1 game in hand and 3 points behind Ebbsfleet (21st and safety that season due to Bury) with 2 games in hand.

But the season ended and went to PPG and they were relegated & Maidenhead jumped above Ebbsfleet on PPG and survived.

Obviously the 2020/21 National League North season was voided because of COVID.

So because of COVID they were relegated when they would quite possibly have stayed up & landed in a division that was then voided thus extending their spell in the NLN to a 2nd season.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 26 - 38
TownSNAFU5
February 1, 2022, 2:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
Longstaff has fallen a long way down the leagues.  He was talked up as having a bright future when he broke into the Newcastle first team at a young age.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 38
IlkleyMariner
February 1, 2022, 2:29pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,034
Gold Stars: 69
Hendrie back at Bradford
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 38
Kris2
February 1, 2022, 2:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Poojah

He’s made 20 first team appearances for Newcastle (most of them in the Premier League) so in theory that’s a very good signing for a League Two side.

The example I can never get my head around though is Mark Nicholls. He’d played nearly 40 times for a Chelsea side that was the first to really feature a host of foreign stars, had played in several European matches including the Champions League, and on occasion had been selected over Gianluca Vialli.

By the time we got him, still only in his early 20s, he was absolutely dreadful, and his career quickly fell off a cliff from there. Bizarre when you think about it.

Oh, and if course there’s the time someone paid £1m for Disco Des Hamilton. He must have had something about him at some point in his career, so where the fùck did it go?

There are a lot of things that can happen to a young player's career even when they show promising signs of being a future star. I think it was Reading who wanted to pay £500,000 for Mark Nicholls at one point after having him on loan and the only reason we got him is because Chelsea asked for double and Reading said no, bet they wish they took the cash in hindsight. He seemed completely lost playing for us and then got released going through a series of trials and short term deals before falling into non league. Very much known for his attitude problems and getting into fights later in his career so maybe it's another case of a kid who started at a big club, got on the fringes of the first team then got too full of himself/lazy.

Lot of promising kids can go down the road of attitude problems, getting in with the wrong crowd and so on and it kills their career off. Even lower down the leagues you had guys like Brodie who were a one season wonder in his early 20's, Crawley paid a decent chunk for him at this level and he then got really full of himself/lazy. Lot of teams took a pop on him recapturing his one season wonder, including us but by that point he'd been lost down the road of having a big ego and not caring. Then fell down non league where he got fat, York even tried bringing him back but he was dropped and released for being too fat and unfit while not willing to apply himself to get fit again.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 38
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Transfer Deadline Day

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.