Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from MarinerDevil
https://gtfc.co.uk/2021-club-accounts-released/

• Profit of £195,505
  • Turnover down 18% ( -£644,848 ), compensated by £593,216 in grants
  • 1878 have invested £1.125m since the takeover
  • "Despite becoming a private limited company,  as part of the B Corp commitment to transparency, the board has also decided to retain the same element of detail and transparency as was provided in its previous status as a PLC"

So without the grants it would have been a significant underlying loss then?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 83
bawarmy
January 31, 2022, 1:41pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +2,021
Gold Stars: 33
You can find out what sports people earn on here.
https://salarysport.com/search/
Not sure how accurate it is though
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 83
Son of Cod
January 31, 2022, 1:43pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196
What's the difference between the 'Wages and Salaries' section on page 20 and 'Wages' on page 27 as the former shows that we spent less on that in 2021 than 2020 as far as I can make out?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 83
mimma
January 31, 2022, 1:48pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,580
Gold Stars: 78
Quoted from bawarmy
You can find out what sports people earn on here.
https://salarysport.com/search/
Not sure how accurate it is though

Just had a look at Town players salaries on that. According to it, McAtee is on a lot less than Fox.

Hope it is a complete guess by someone who knows nothing about Town
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 83
Poojah
January 31, 2022, 1:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,877
Gold Stars: 1,523
Quoted from mimma

Just had a look at Town players salaries on that. According to it, McAtee is on a lot less than Fox.

According to that, Ryan Sears was on more than the likes of Taylor, Clifton, Pearson and Efete (to whom he was the clear understudy).

I think it might be bóllocks.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 83
diehardmariner
January 31, 2022, 1:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,716
Gold Stars: 543
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I don't recall anyone getting paid up last season either unless Runaway negotiated a handsome pay off when he ran away? I mean it's a totally plausible theory that he received a pay off because as a man who can't keep his mouth shut, he's said very little about the dodgy goings on in the boardroom he paid £500 to be part of.

It does raise some serious questions about last season though. In terms of the players Hurst signed I can't imagine the likes of Habergham (unemployed for 2 years) and Bunney (bouncing around the lower leagues) cost much. Lenny and Coke came from National League North side Hereford so again, I can't imagine they are on big money. Whatever we were paying for Matete can't have been much because he was a 19 year old kid who had played a few games for Fleetwood. Stefan Payne and Jake Eastwood might have cost a bit but still. All the talk coming out of the club at the start of the season was that our budget was significantly reduced due to Covid but the accounts seem to show otherwise.

It raises serious questions about what money we spent on people like Danny Rose, Felipe Morais, the 2 hour keeper coach, the loan signing of Kyle Bennett and the others but particularly him. Montel Gibson was given a 3 year deal and we also plucked Sisay and Ira Jackson out of obscurity. Looking at the accounts, I bet they couldn't believe what we were offering them.

A big deal was made about us not being able to keep players like Charles Vernam and Billy Clarke. Anthony Limbrick was publicly furloughed because he couldn't afford the pay cut imposed on him yet despite all this moaning about our budget from Runaway and the board, our wage bill went up £250k.

Thankfully, the people responsible for all but 3 weeks of those accounts aren't making decisions anymore but it really does leave a sour taste in my mouth.

Edit: Bilel Mohsni as well - I wonder what we were paying him?

Does make you wonder!  I remember a rumour at the time we signed Bennett on loan that he was pulling in £6k a week at Bristol Rovers and we were making a decent contribution to that.  Gibson, Jackson Jnr and Sissay were, according to Holloway so take it as you will, as a trio cost the same as the departing Harry Cardwell and Ahkeem Rose, can't imagine that broke the bank.  Equally so you would imagine any player giving up semi-professional football is also giving up their day-job/main income.  Added to that the relocation and (maybe more so in the case of Gibson and Jackson) maybe had other options or at least potential suitors, maybe we weren't getting them that cheap after all....
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 83
ginnywings
January 31, 2022, 1:56pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from mimma

McAtee came from Scunny, whereas Fox came from Burton,  so it's quite feasible it would take a bigger wage to attract Fox to drop down several levels.

Not saying that site is correct but it's not always the case that the better players at a club earn the most.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 83
HerveJosse
January 31, 2022, 1:59pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,204
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from Son of Cod
What's the difference between the 'Wages and Salaries' section on page 20 and 'Wages' on page 27 as the former shows that we spent less on that in 2021 than 2020 as far as I can make out?

No doubt Jamesgtfc will explain?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 83
jamesgtfc
January 31, 2022, 2:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from HerveJosse

No doubt Jamesgtfc will explain?

I'm no accountant and I admit to not seeing that bit but my point still stands, we've spent £250k more money under the category of wages on Page 27 in 2021 than 2020 and it's a bit baffling.

Whilst we are on the subject of Page 20, we had 125 match day staff last season when there weren't any fans attending which is a bit bizarre considering we only had 106 the year before when fans were attending.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 83
Swansea_Mariner
January 31, 2022, 2:51pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,474
Gold Stars: 63
I'd hazard a guess that it was the sheer number of players at the club that ultimately resulted in the that increase on the previous seasons wages.

Remember Hurst basically recruited a whole new team in the January window on top of the large-ish squad that Holloway accumulated as the early season went on. From that point on we were basically warehousing players.

Buy cheaply buy twice proven by the looks of it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 83
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Accounts released today

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.