3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
aldi_01
January 16, 2022, 8:19am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Forgot the discussion about green kits…look at the diadora kits😍that training wear…those were the days…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 22
MrFisherman
January 16, 2022, 9:57am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: -168
Wasn't it Mick Lyons who picked up on green being unlucky 🤔
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 22
January 16, 2022, 10:54am
Guest User
Why are  people trying to destroy the unlucky  wearing green story.The green thing is a great story bearing in mind we were/ are a fishing Town with a great history. I've always thought it was a way of remembering men who risked their lives and many lost their lives at sea and showing a little respect to them. I know I may be wrong but I don't care.
Reply: 12 - 22
rancido
January 16, 2022, 3:53pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,659
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from Withnail
For the benefit of young uns, green is seen an unlucky colour for fishermen, which is why we never traditionally had a green goalkeeper's jersey (certainly not under Buckley Mark I).

As a 15 year old I went on a " pleasure trip " in 1963 for a 28 day trip to Greenland on the trawler Velinda. Three days out I went on the bridge wearing a green shirt ( I didn't know the superstition then) and the mate ripped it off my back and told me in no uncertain terms never to wear anything green again or I would be in the " oggin " - his words !

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 22
SouthLakesMariner
January 17, 2022, 12:47am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +945
Gold Stars: 21
Quoted from 4055
Why are  people trying to destroy the unlucky  wearing green story.The green thing is a great story bearing in mind we were/ are a fishing Town with a great history. I've always thought it was a way of remembering men who risked their lives and many lost their lives at sea and showing a little respect to them. I know I may be wrong but I don't care.

I love this post.

If we all analysed things logically and literally, none of us would turn up at Blundell Park on a Saturday afternoon. It’s our shared cultural history that binds us and our club together. I’ve retold this story so many times to people over the years and frankly don’t care if it’s factually correct, folklore or otherwise. Put quite simply it’s a story that connects GTFC to the cultural roots of it’s community and that in itself makes it worth re-telling.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 22
SouthLakesMariner
January 17, 2022, 12:49am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +945
Gold Stars: 21
Quoted from rancido

As a 15 year old I went on a " pleasure trip " in 1963 for a 28 day trip to Greenland on the trawler Velinda. Three days out I went on the bridge wearing a green shirt ( I didn't know the superstition then) and the mate ripped it off my back and told me in no uncertain terms never to wear anything green again or I would be in the " oggin " - his words !

And I love this post even more - a first-hand account of why a GTFC goalkeeper shouldn’t wear green.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 22
ginnywings
January 17, 2022, 1:59am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
As the son of a fisherman, I can say that the wearing of green was frowned upon. Another thing that never happened would be the washing of clothes on the same day that a family member set sail. It was thought that this was tempting fate and could lead to the fishermen being washed away at sea.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 22
Les Brechin
January 17, 2022, 9:28am

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,726
Gold Stars: 174
Batchy nearly always wore green and it didn't really bring him too much bad luck.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 22
Posh Harry
January 17, 2022, 10:25am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,376
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from Les Brechin
Batchy nearly always wore green and it didn't really bring him too much bad luck.

Not sure steve foley would agree Les 😳
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 22
rancido
January 17, 2022, 3:59pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,659
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from ginnywings
As the son of a fisherman, I can say that the wearing of green was frowned upon. Another thing that never happened would be the washing of clothes on the same day that a family member set sail. It was thought that this was tempting fate and could lead to the fishermen being washed away at sea.

Lots of superstitions as regards fisherman, especially at sea. You never used the word "rabbits" - usually referred to them as underground greyhounds!

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 22
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Unlucky Green Goalie Kit

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.