Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Any players from last season missed?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 266 Guests

Any players from last season missed?

This thread currently has 4,653 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
pontoonlew
October 11, 2021, 7:50am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,098
Gold Stars: 181
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I know Edwards ended up playing a few Bristol City games last season but he's back in League Two this season with Exeter.

Both are similar players but Sousa does the defensive work too and is much more direct than Edwards.

I know Dembele is playing regular Championship football but I actually think Sousa is better for us than Dembele was. Much more end product and hard graft.

I got multiple red x’s last time so ready for it again but that bottom part is a staggering statement IMO. You have to consider the level we’re currently at, we have players who were poor in the FL last season doing well down here this season. I really rate this team highly but to put Dembele and Sousa in the same bracket is really over-egging things to the maximum. Dembele was at the time and still is, criminally underrated by our fan base.

Edwards himself is 20 and really impressing an Exeter fan base who are used to challenging for promotion every season and I’m still convinced he’ll have a career as a Championship player.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 45
Davec
October 11, 2021, 7:57am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from pontoonlew

I got multiple red x’s last time so ready for it again but that bottom part is a staggering statement IMO. You have to consider the level we’re currently at, we have players who were poor in the FL last season doing well down here this season. I really rate this team highly but to put Dembele and Sousa in the same bracket is really over-egging things to the maximum. Dembele was at the time and still is, criminally underrated by our fan base.

Edwards himself is 20 and really impressing an Exeter fan base who are used to challenging for promotion every season and I’m still convinced he’ll have a career as a Championship player.

Impressing them in very limited game time, he has only played 102 mins of football this season in the league, all coming in 6 substitute appearances

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 45
Maringer
October 11, 2021, 8:09am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,680
Gold Stars: 189
I'm not sure that saying Hewitt has versatility is particularly apt. He can do a below-par job at full-back, a poor job in central midfield or a decent job at centre back. You could probably say the same of most decent centre backs.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 45
buckstown
October 11, 2021, 8:17am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,237
Gold Stars: 80
Note that Menayese, Hewitt and Matete all started latest games for their clubs.
If you consider Waterfall last season versus this, we have no idea how good Hewitt and Menayese would be had they stayed under the new regime. Think Matete was always destined for a brighter future and therefore way out of our level at the moment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 45
pontoonlew
October 11, 2021, 8:24am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,098
Gold Stars: 181
Quoted from buckstown
Note that Menayese, Hewitt and Matete all started latest games for their clubs.
If you consider Waterfall last season versus this, we have no idea how good Hewitt and Menayese would be had they stayed under the new regime. Think Matete was always destined for a brighter future and therefore way out of our level at the moment.

Totally agree on the centre back pairing. The actual answer to this question is we’d swap absolutely nobody because we’re top of the league. It’s wrong to compare our current squad to players playing in the leagues above though for that very reason, they’re currently playing a league higher.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 45
jamesgtfc
October 11, 2021, 9:19am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,043
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Maringer
I'm not sure that saying Hewitt has versatility is particularly apt. He can do a below-par job at full-back, a poor job in central midfield or a decent job at centre back. You could probably say the same of most decent centre backs.

Except with Hewitt, he was described as a full back for the first 18 months of his time here. Had he not been played at CB for those last few months I think most people would been glad to see the back of him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 45
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Any players from last season missed?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.