12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
quebec38
September 15, 2021, 5:07pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,588
Gold Stars: 48
Impressive stuff last night. To go a goal down the way we did (it was definitely a foul) but take the lead coming in to half time against one of the so called big boys showed a lot of character. Something that for all of their millions Wrexham clearly lack.

Second half they had more of the ball and tried to come at us but it was all too easy for Waterfall and Towler. They were both so solid and really compliment each other.

Great all over the pitch last night. Hopefully the same again on Saturday and then a much deserved week off before the next game.

Wrexham fans have changed their tune I see from us being jealous of them just yesterday morning to now having a better squad that they we’re always going to struggle against. Well let me tell you Wrexham fans… you are right there because you’ve spent money we could only dream of on an ageing centre half who is better at throwing a football than he is his primary role of defending. I won’t even get started on the mistakes you’ve made chucking away  the rest of your money on Jones and Mullin. Parkinson is a dead man walking.

Grimsby are on the up. The club are doing all of the things right now we have so enviously looked at others doing over the years. Bringing in top talents on loan from 2-3 divisions higher, snapping up a maverick winger from further down the pyramid…serving good beer and treating the fans with respect.

It’s hard to explain the feel around the place atm. Sure it’s easier when results are good but we have had spells over the years but it’s always felt like we’re just winging it. This is something different and long may it continue.
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 112
KingstonMariner
September 15, 2021, 5:09pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Questions for those who attended the last few games.

We’ve come from behind three times to win. Last time in non-League we used to struggle breaking down defences of teams who ‘park the bus’. Are we better at attacking, more attack-minded, or have we beaten teams who think they stand a chance and so don’t park the bus? If we come up against a part-time outfit who nick the lead, are we going to find it harder to come from behind?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 112
BeijingMariner
September 15, 2021, 5:11pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,677
Gold Stars: 40
Last night was my first game in I don't know how long. I have returned from living overseas and, to be honest was a bit nervous about this match being the first one to witness. Wrexham, you know....But wow, just wow. McAttee doesn't understand what a lost cause is, thankfully.  Taylor is proving to be an astute taker of opportunities. Towler is a real find, so confident for someone so young. Wright and Clifton's engines seem too big for their bodies and they are the epitome of Grimsby Town spirit. Crookes was quietly everywhere. Waterfall looked like he's lived here forever and has shares. Hunt and Coke work so well together it's crazy. Efete gave 100%, as did Macca. Sousa would scare some League 1 defences I reckon. Ref started ok but then lost the plot, so no changes there, then. Crowd were magnificent. Sat next to a bloke called Bob from Colchester who isn't a Colchester fan and is trying to get round as many grounds as possible, lovely bloke, very complimentary about our team and old ground. Thank you GTFC for giving me one of the best nights of my life so far. I am glad to be home.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 92 - 112
DB
September 15, 2021, 5:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.38
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,056
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from BeijingMariner
Last night was my first game in I don't know how long. I have returned from living overseas and, to be honest was a bit nervous about this match being the first one to witness. Wrexham, you know....But wow, just wow. McAttee doesn't understand what a lost cause is, thankfully.  Taylor is proving to be an astute taker of opportunities. Towler is a real find, so confident for someone so young. Wright and Clifton's engines seem too big for their bodies and they are the epitome of Grimsby Town spirit. Crookes was quietly everywhere. Waterfall looked like he's lived here forever and has shares. Hunt and Coke work so well together it's crazy. Efete gave 100%, as did Macca. Sousa would scare some League 1 defences I reckon. Ref started ok but then lost the plot, so no changes there, then. Crowd were magnificent. Sat next to a bloke called Bob from Colchester who isn't a Colchester fan and is trying to get round as many grounds as possible, lovely bloke, very complimentary about our team and old ground. Thank you GTFC for giving me one of the best nights of my life so far. I am glad to be home.

Welcome home star man.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 112
IrishMariner
September 15, 2021, 6:00pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +10 / -1
Approval: +613
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from AussieMariner
Would have been tempting for PH to replace Souza with Pearson to protect the lead
Instead he brought on Max W who scores to protect the win

What a contrast to Carlisle away last season when we sat too deep!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 112
Lincoln Mariner 56
September 15, 2021, 6:55pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,773
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from KingstonMariner

We’ve come from behind three times to win. Last time in non-League we used to struggle breaking down defences of teams who ‘park the bus’. Are we better at attacking, more attack-minded, or have we beaten teams who think they stand a chance and so don’t park the bus? If we come up against a part-time outfit who nick the lead, are we going to find it harder to come from behind?

I missed the Weymouth game which is probably the match where we struggled to break down a team that showed little ambition in actually having an attack themselves but it was also our first competitive match so still getting used to each other. Barnet and Wrexham were both pretty open matches and this allowed us the opportunity to use space and counter attack quickly. However, second half against Barnet was pretty much one way traffic and a pretty continuous wave after wave of town attacks.

I feel the big difference is the speed we move the ball about and switch play with most of our players looking very comfortable on the ball and a number being very skilful with Sousa and McAtee the stand outs but Hunt and Coke are both very good in possession and use the ball very intelligently. Taylor seems a mix of Gary Jones and Tony Rees, not particularly quick but has an ability to win his duels or get a foul or two and does a few little flicks and passes that bring McAtee and Sousa into the game high up the pitch.

Surprised to see the level of understanding the players already have in each other and how we want to play.

Add the enthusiasm of the crowd and it feels earily like the start of the 71/72 promotion campaign just without the larger numbers that attended matches in that incredible season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 112
Ipswin
September 15, 2021, 6:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from KingstonMariner

I was rather hoping that going a goal behind might become a rarity

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 112
KingstonMariner
September 15, 2021, 6:58pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Cheers LM. Sounds like a mixture of the two. Might get a better idea when we play Maidenhead, which will be my first game since Orient away in early 2020.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 112
pontoonlew
September 15, 2021, 7:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,098
Gold Stars: 181
Quoted from AussieMariner
Would have been tempting for PH to replace Souza with Pearson to protect the lead
Instead he brought on Max W who scores to protect the win

One of my biggest criticisms of Paul Hurst in the past was that he never used to learn from his mistakes and was far too stubborn. We’re seeing the absolute opposite of that this season, he seems to have really evolved as a manager and his more relaxed demeanor off the pitch seems to be translating onto it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 112
jamesgtfc
September 15, 2021, 8:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from pontoonlew

One of my biggest criticisms of Paul Hurst in the past was that he never used to learn from his mistakes and was far too stubborn. We’re seeing the absolute opposite of that this season, he seems to have really evolved as a manager and his more relaxed demeanor off the pitch seems to be translating onto it.

I suppose it can't help when you've got your boss saying stuff like "managers are never more than 6 games from the sack*"

*Except for mates, they get 12 games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 112
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.