Reply: 12 - 31
Poojah
September 3, 2021, 5:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,889
Gold Stars: 1,527
This is ridiculous on Boxing Day of all days. Is there actually any evidence that early kick-offs reduce disorder? I can actually see a case for them making things worse.

At the Donny away game a few years back, when the kick-off was 12:00 I think, the ‘spoons in the town centre was rammed full of Town fans by about 9am and quite a few were absolutely steaming come 10:30. It creates a bit of a rush mentality, “shìt, we haven’t got long so let’s get these beers down our throats as quickly as possible”.

Didn’t the government abolish the blanket 2am kicking out time largely for this very reason?

Absolute horse shìt decision. I’d be more supportive of these kind of decisions if they were accompanied by at least some sort of an attempt at a rationale, instead of some vague inference that they’re expecting those Grimsby yobbo’s to trash the fúcking place (have you even seen the state of Halifax lately, by the way?).

Me? I’ll be drinking those litre cans of 10% Danish Viking lager until I’m unconscious in a pool of my own vomit of the floor of the away end bogs, just to prove a point.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 31
Kris2
September 3, 2021, 6:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
It seems like all these Police forces are still reacting to historical problems, rather than taking the current fans into consideration. If our club was to suggest that STH's have first dibs on all away tickets (or do they do that anyway?), then the number of tickets available for potential trouble causers is minimal, because if those yobs were season ticket holders then they have a lot to lose.

Maybe one day we will lose the 'hooligan' tag that we still have hanging over our team name.

I don't think 6 years ago is particularly historical. We take a large following to away games and to suggest that STHs aren't some of the problem is a bit naive as the regulars at home and away games are often among the people causing problems at games. We'll lose the hooligan tag when we don't have people jumping around topless, running on the pitch, fighting with stewards/police at away grounds, bringing smoke bombs, kicking off outside the ground and more things that contribute.

We don't like it when the reputation inconveniences us but we carry on doing it while calling our support "amazing" for turning up in numbers to cause trouble. If we want to change our reputation in Halifax maybe don't run around half naked with your fat bellies hanging out intimidating the locals or bringing smoke bombs . You ever consider the local pubs that have to deal with you and the football grounds have a say in all this?
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 31
jaygy
September 3, 2021, 7:33pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +2,351
Gold Stars: 6
If you've ever seen how some of the 'moron' element of our supporters behave then you can sort of understand the fears that the police and locals have when Grimsby are playing in their towns. Having said that it's such a shame that all 95% of fans are being tarred with the same brush as the 5%
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 31
aldi_01
September 3, 2021, 7:34pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Poojah
This is ridiculous on Boxing Day of all days. Is there actually any evidence that early kick-offs reduce disorder? I can actually see a case for them making things worse.

At the Donny away game a few years back, when the kick-off was 12:00 I think, the ‘spoons in the town centre was rammed full of Town fans by about 9am and quite a few were absolutely steaming come 10:30. It creates a bit of a rush mentality, “shìt, we haven’t got long so let’s get these beers down our throats as quickly as possible”.

Didn’t the government abolish the blanket 2am kicking out time largely for this very reason?

Absolute horse shìt decision. I’d be more supportive of these kind of decisions if they were accompanied by at least some sort of an attempt at a rationale, instead of some vague inference that they’re expecting those Grimsby yobbo’s to trash the fúcking place (have you even seen the state of Halifax lately, by the way?).

Me? I’ll be drinking those litre cans of 10% Danish Viking lager until I’m unconscious in a pool of my own vomit of the floor of the away end bogs, just to prove a point.

I’ve mentioned it before; there was an article sent to me written by an academic who was a genuine football fan. Proper peer reviewed journal, can’t for the life of me find it any more but it basically argues that policing of football in this country is often ineffective or can exacerbate problems.

It goes on to discuss that drinking in view of the game isn’t a risk and as you say; early KOs or this ‘drinking ban’ simply means folk rush drink or get stupid.

People can argue that individuals should take responsibility for themselves and I don’t disagree but sometimes you really do have to question how they arrive at this sort of decisions based on nothing more than a hunch. It’s like tomorrow, many will have 2/3 points pre KO. If I knew I could have an ale during the game I’d be more likely to have may be one before and a couple through the match.

Other countries allow drinking in view of the game and have little trouble, if they do, they don’t just blame alcohol as if that’s the only reason it happens.

Again, in the article it discusses the fact that many a chap involved in public order offences at football have often carried out those acts sober or would, alcohol sometimes helps them on their way or features very little. One could argue drugs are a bigger issue for those interested in that sort of thing and KO time is irrelevant for those dabbling with substances.

It’s another ridiculous change that is unnecessary and sadly, clubs seem to be passive to these things. Is it time for fans to just stand up and put their point across. It’s worked in other countries…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 31
KingstonMariner
September 3, 2021, 7:40pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I can’t see us being worse than anyone else (of the ‘big’ NL) clubs. Wonder how many changed kickoffs Notts, Chesterfield and Stockport get.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 31
moosey_club
September 3, 2021, 8:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,321
Gold Stars: 229
Gods sake.

Do they even have that chip van in the ground anymore ? Let it go West Yorks Police...let it go.

One for those of a certain age.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 31
Vance Warner
September 3, 2021, 9:19pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,833
Gold Stars: 106
Is there a club in the country that has more kick off changes on police advice than us? We have some idiots but are we really more of a risk than any other team in the top 5 divisions? The number of arrests doesn’t suggest so.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 31
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Boxing Day KO moved

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.