KingstonMariner
August 20, 2021, 7:34pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from forza ivano
bloody hell - that means it's my 50th anniversary season of having the pain and misfortune of following Town!
Darlington at home was my first ever experience of a football match, and from that day onwards i was a Town fan (Thanks Dad!!). All i remember is it being rammed and aload of fighting in the Ossie
Far too many disappointments and far too many brief moments of elation, but certainly supporting Town has given me some valuable life lessons and experiences!

Me too. This week in fact. Town 4 Donny 3 in the League Cup. I went along reluctantly that night. Hooked after that.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 25
TownSNAFU5
August 20, 2021, 10:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
There was mention of Doncaster above in the early 1970s.   Donney had a great player in the 1950s and 1960s called Alick Jeffrey.  A very talented forward.

He made his first team debut at age 15.  He played for England under 23s as a teenager.   He was strongly rumoured to be moving to Man United in the late 1950s but suffered the first of 2 bad broken legs.  This scuppered his big move and most of his career.    Ironically, he thus avoided any potential involvement in the Munich Air Disaster.

He was described as the English Pele by Jimmy Murphy the Assistant Manager at Man United.

His fame transcended Doncaster.  Any very old Town fan will remember him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 25
KingstonMariner
August 20, 2021, 11:23pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
There was mention of Doncaster above in the early 1970s.   Donney had a great player in the 1950s and 1960s called Alick Jeffrey.  A very talented forward.

He made his first team debut at age 15.  He played for England under 23s as a teenager.   He was strongly rumoured to be moving to Man United in the late 1950s but suffered the first of 2 bad broken legs.  This scuppered his big move and most of his career.    Ironically, he thus avoided any potential involvement in the Munich Air Disaster.

He was described as the English Pele by Jimmy Murphy the Assistant Manager at Man United.

His fame transcended Doncaster.  Any very old Town fan will remember him.

The only Donny player I recall from anything like that era, but I’m too young to have seen him play, was Charlie Williams.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 25
ginnywings
August 21, 2021, 10:26am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
My first season too as a fresh faced 12 year old, quickly hooked on the excitement.

50 years has whizzed past.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 25
Townforlife
August 21, 2021, 10:40am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +249
Gold Stars: 20
Also my first season 50 years ago, home to Darlington was my first game. Stood on a stool in the Osmond stand up against the picket fence. Great days. Didn't think we ever lost at home in those days. Reality eventually dawned!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 25
RonMariner
August 21, 2021, 11:05am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,865
Gold Stars: 231
That’s when it all began for me too. My dad had taken me to a game when I was younger, but too young to really get hooked. Then my cousin took me to a pre season friendly in about 1968. But it was my next door neighbour, a former player, who took me along to a game early in the season, and then I stared going regularly with my dad. Saw every home game for the rest of the season, and many other seasons until I left home to go to uni.

50 years. Phil Ball wrote a book about being a Town fan called ‘Through Thin and Thin’. I get where he was coming from but for me the highs, though few and far between, do make up for the far more frequent lows, even given the last fifteen years. Overall supporting Town has been a positive rather than negative life experience.

It’s a close run thing  though given the Fenty years, but I do believe we have some good times ahead.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 25
Withnail
August 21, 2021, 11:11am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 36
Half a century since we last won a championship in any of the five top tiers of English football.

We truly have been starved of glory haven't we.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 25
RonMariner
August 21, 2021, 11:34am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,865
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from Withnail
Half a century since we last won a championship in any of the five top tiers of English football.

We truly have been starved of glory haven't we.

Don't forget 1980!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 25
Withnail
August 21, 2021, 11:59am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from RonMariner

Don't forget 1980!

Good point! 41 years since we won a championship. Hopefully it won't be half a century since we won one in 9 years time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 25
forza ivano
August 21, 2021, 12:02pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,286
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from Townforlife
Also my first season 50 years ago, home to Darlington was my first game. Stood on a stool in the Osmond stand up against the picket fence. Great days. Didn't think we ever lost at home in those days. Reality eventually dawned!

since there's 2 of us for whom darlo at home in 71-72 was our first Town experience has anybody got any details/repost/line ups of that match please?
I know i've got the programme somewhere
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 25
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 50th Anniversary

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.