10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
August 9, 2021, 11:06am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +876
Gold Stars: 123
Or any other club who has a talented striker available.

It also depends on if he has had contacts with any agents who have offered their clients, potentially from around the world.

Could end up with an ex-Bulgarian international or a Spanish up and coming who will rip every club in the league a new one.

Options are endless
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 95
Poojah
August 9, 2021, 11:16am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,895
Gold Stars: 1,527
Or any other club who has a talented striker available.

It also depends on if he has had contacts with any agents who have offered their clients, potentially from around the world.

Could end up with an ex-Bulgarian international or a Spanish up and coming who will rip every club in the league a new one.

Options are endless

Now that you mention it I did spot a bloke who looked suspiciously like Hristo Stoichkov at Millfields the other day. Granted he was working behind the bar, I don’t think Stoichkov speaks English with a strong Scouse accent and the image I have of him in my head is probably at least 25 years old, but I think this might just be happening…

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 95
toontown
August 9, 2021, 11:18am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
Not read this thread, but when it was hinted at a month or so ago, i said the same;

Those stats are really none too impressive- I knew he had faded but looks like he is a shadow of the player he was for us
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 95
Son of Cod
August 9, 2021, 11:22am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196
Am I the only one thinking John Akinde might be exactly what we need up top? Apparently Southend are close to signing him, but they need to offload Akinola first. Would be pretty pleased if we managed to hijack that deal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 95
Poojah
August 9, 2021, 11:27am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,895
Gold Stars: 1,527
Quoted from toontown

Those stats are really none too impressive- I knew he had faded but looks like he is a shadow of the player he was for us

He’s playing a level above the one he was at with us. Those records are not that dissimilar to what he was doing at Morecambe before he joined us in 2015. There are plenty of examples of players who had modest scoring records in League Two who were prolific in the National League - Connell and Amond the obvious ones, Matt Green too.

Should we or shouldn’t we? It’s impossible to answer without knowing what else is on the table. If we’ve got a number of younger, better looking options on the horizon then adding another 30+ year old striker to our ranks seems daft.

If however, we’ve missed out on key targets and are scratching around for alternatives to little avail, then arguably it makes sense.

Regardless, it has to be weighed up on merit. Romanticism is rarely a sound reason for signing a player.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 95
diehardmariner
August 9, 2021, 11:35am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,718
Gold Stars: 543
Can't make my mind up on this one.  

I thought Amond was phenomenal when here and not just for his goalscoring exploits.  He's the best centre forward I've seen at the club since Gary Jones in terms of leading the line.  He was the absolute perfect example that you don't need to be 6'3 and 13st of muscle to be a centre-forward.  If it went up to him, it stuck.  But even better was that it stuck and then he brought others into play.  He told his colleagues not only where to go and to play off him but also where he wanted the ball.  I love LJL but he reacts to the play, he'll chase it wherever it goes.  Amond made the runs and then the ball was sent to him.  That's the difference between the two.

That said, this was over 5 years ago.  The few times I've seen Amond in the cup games (albeit against very good opposition) he's not looked quite the same player.  Again, it's comparing Man City to Welling.  But he just looks a bit different, no doubt with another 200 games his legs since leaving us.

Would he come back and be a 25-30 a season striker?  I doubt it.  But would he lead our line well?  Without a shout.  
I've seen the Clee, Rotherham and Boston games and the absolute stand out is that we've no-one who is capable of leading the line.  Essel and Adlard are far, far too inexperienced to do so and it would be cruel to expect it of them.  The only other fit player is McAtee and he most definitely needs to be in that attacking midfield role where he can make things happen, in that role he'll be a huge player for us.  

Part of me thinks the need is greater for someone who can chase things into the corners and be a physical nuisance, I suppose a bit like LJL but then I look at the likes of McAtee and Sousa in support, plus the more advanced fullbacks such as Efete and Revan bombing on, which makes me think it is more about someone just to link it all together.  Someone with that cuteness to make a five-yard run that takes two players out the picture or has that little know-how to wait an extra few seconds to time their run so they pick up the scraps of play.

intercourse it, I'd take him in a heartbeat.  I don't care if he's 33 and both of our other centre forwards are around that age.  It's Padraig Amond!
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 95
toontown
August 9, 2021, 11:50am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Poojah

He’s playing a level above the one he was at with us. Those records are not that dissimilar to what he was doing at Morecambe before he joined us in 2015. There are plenty of examples of players who had modest scoring records in League Two who were prolific in the National League - Connell and Amond the obvious ones, Matt Green too.

Should we or shouldn’t we? It’s impossible to answer without knowing what else is on the table. If we’ve got a number of younger, better looking options on the horizon then adding another 30+ year old striker to our ranks seems daft.

If however, we’ve missed out on key targets and are scratching around for alternatives to little avail, then arguably it makes sense.

Regardless, it has to be weighed up on merit. Romanticism is rarely a sound reason for signing a player.

At the level of ability he had when he left us he got 14 goals a season in lg2 the next year, then the same again ish for the next 2 years in league 2. 8 the following season. That has fallen to 6 in a season  with about the same number of games. He isn't the same player he was.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 95
Mikey_345
August 9, 2021, 11:54am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +5,581
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Son of Cod
Am I the only one thinking John Akinde might be exactly what we need up top? Apparently Southend are close to signing him, but they need to offload Akinola first. Would be pretty pleased if we managed to hijack that deal.

John Akinde Pen - other than his time at Lincoln hes liked to stay in the South from what I can tell so location maybe an issue with that one. But definitely would be a good addition to anyone at this level.

With Amond he strikes me as the sort of player where age wouldn't affect his game 'to much'. Isn't someone i remember ever doing a lot of running in behind or working the channels. Get the ball in the area and he'll score goals, just has the instinct for it.

Assuming Grant, Scannell, Wright, McAtee and Sousa all stay fit we should have no problem creating chances. Having someone to tuck in those chances is really important and the difficult bit. Personally i think Lenny will thrive with good service in this league.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 95
LondonMariner43
August 9, 2021, 12:00pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,979
Gold Stars: 64
Remember when we signed Alan Connell for the second time.  He was awful.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 95
denni266
August 9, 2021, 12:04pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +702
Gold Stars: 132
As much as i liked Podge  , he is on his way down due to age , And will only get slower  , We need a younger model of him and that wont come cheap.  Thing is if we dont spend to get the right players in you may as well just have gone with what we had and just tread water  fenty style. , The idea is to get better players and win games , thats what it is all about . You dont buy a football team to just own it, you have to invest and go forward , I know the new owners have spent money and i am 100% behing them , but dont spoil the cake for a tin of cream , Remember buy cheap buy twice or in our case every year
Another point is podge is well respected here i would hate it for him to come here and end up like many before with his reputation shot by the fans because he is not  the same podge , and we all know that will happen
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 95
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Amond

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.