Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › All mouth and no trousers?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 247 Guests

All mouth and no trousers?

This thread currently has 23,146 views. Print
20 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
aldi_01
August 10, 2021, 6:40am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from pen penfras

So you're happy that we're going into a season having spent 150k on superficial improvements yet we don't have a fit striker that's scored a senior goal? If Fenty was here with the squad like this, he'd be getting lambasted for penny pinching on here, yet because he's gone we're supposed to appreciate how brilliant things now are because the pitch can be watered quickly. Even Hurst is playing the budget card already

Come on mate, normally you argue your point well even if it’s nonsense but that post is laughable…they’ve been here less than a year. If the club reverses as it has under Fenty, if  they pennypinch, if they’re only in it for themselves, if they bully the supports/supporters trust, openly slag people off, go on the radio drunk, offer embarrassing contracts…after 20 years then yes, yes they will get hammered and rightly so.

You’re forgetting that large swathes of town fans still thought Fenty was decent until we discovered he was a flipping crook…I know a few of us saw his bullshit from early on but many didn’t so you can’t keep making blanket statements attacking all the fans.

We’re you happy under Fenty? Do you actually think he should’ve stayed?

I get natural caution, especially after that flipping roll necked wearing charlatan’s tenure but just embrace the fact the club is moving forward…that can’t just happen on the pitch. It’s a collective…and no, nobody would’ve moaned if Fenty spent £40k on a sprinkle system, but when you’ve been as useless as he was, fans knowing we offered embarrassing contracts then that’s where the frustrations came…

Also, you’re quick to say those opposing Fenty never present fact…(we do, most of which is easily corroborated but people just chose to bury their heads) yet you’ve done just that regarding Hurst…

I can never decide if you’re a well hidden wind up merchant or genuine…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 160 - 199
pen penfras
August 10, 2021, 7:30am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from aldi_01

Come on mate, normally you argue your point well even if it’s nonsense but that post is laughable…they’ve been here less than a year. If the club reverses as it has under Fenty, if  they pennypinch, if they’re only in it for themselves, if they bully the supports/supporters trust, openly slag people off, go on the radio drunk, offer embarrassing contracts…after 20 years then yes, yes they will get hammered and rightly so.

You’re forgetting that large swathes of town fans still thought Fenty was decent until we discovered he was a flipping crook…I know a few of us saw his bullshit from early on but many didn’t so you can’t keep making blanket statements attacking all the fans.

We’re you happy under Fenty? Do you actually think he should’ve stayed?

I get natural caution, especially after that flipping roll necked wearing charlatan’s tenure but just embrace the fact the club is moving forward…that can’t just happen on the pitch. It’s a collective…and no, nobody would’ve moaned if Fenty spent £40k on a sprinkle system, but when you’ve been as useless as he was, fans knowing we offered embarrassing contracts then that’s where the frustrations came…

Also, you’re quick to say those opposing Fenty never present fact…(we do, most of which is easily corroborated but people just chose to bury their heads) yet you’ve done just that regarding Hurst…

I can never decide if you’re a well hidden wind up merchant or genuine…

No, I don't think Fenty should have stayed and I said years before he went that his time was up.

As for being a wind up merchant, right now I am to an extent. Not trying to wind people up, but the same people who would cane Fenty for doing the same things as the new guys have want patience and understanding for doing the same things. I said all along that it wasn't about what Fenty did that got criticised, it was because it was him that's doing it and the majority of the most critical are the ones asking for patience. At least codger and LCL are consistent with their criticism, even if it isn't warranted (which right now it isn't).

As for the things that Forza is asking for evidence for, I can't show evidence, but I have friends who work for the club and they are 100% in the know about these things and I know that Hurst didn't care if we kept Amond, he even dropped him in the middle of his purple patch because he didn't chase down enough. The low wage offer to our best player from last season who was one of the stand out defenders in the league once played there is true and as is the ridiculous cost of £100k+ on a glass barrier.

Hurst mentioned the budget in his last interview. It's already sowing the seeds of it's not his fault, but he can't come out and criticise like he did last season because he knew he wouldn't get sacked when Fenty had a few weeks left.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 161 - 199
barralad
August 10, 2021, 7:34am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,299
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from Ipswin
I'd rather the new lot spent money on players rather than the training ground, sprinklers and fan zones, they're proving to be no different to the last ownership in that respect. (I'd also rather they'd spent money on a manager too but we are stuck with him now until maybe Christmas anyway)

When / if we ever get a striker are we going to spend a few quid or will he be another desperate for a club free agent ?

The money for the fan zone has come from a grant-which cannot be spent on other things.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 162 - 199
dapperz fun pub
August 10, 2021, 7:37am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,049
Gold Stars: 84
Quoted from barralad

The money for the fan zone has come from a grant-which cannot be spent on other things.

Is this grant a new thing or something the previous regime didn’t know or care about ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 163 - 199
Simon
August 10, 2021, 7:53am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Approval: +234
Gold Stars: 33
Negativity breeds negativity & this thread really is right down there in the gutter, i question sometimes why i even log on to catch up

All Town aren't we ..... UTM  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 164 - 199
Northbank Mariner
August 10, 2021, 8:15am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,533
Gold Stars: 172
Makes you laugh this thread, honestly it does...

Is there any joy in some of the fishy folks lives?I do have to wonder.

Fenty "f@cked" it up big style, poor training facilities down to the embarrassment of the balls not being round.

Stockwood and Petite come in and have highlighted where things needed immediate improvement and have acted on it, regardless of cost and no doubt some of that cost has been burdened personally.

As for investment into the squad, imo we are 2 players short of what looks like a very promising team, unfortunately those 2 players are strikers, which every club up and down the country are always in the market for so patience has to be the key.

Back to my original statement, the amount of hammer the fishy gets for being a cesspit of doom and negativity is summed up in this thread.

Yet take a look at the "sponsor a player" thread and that shows how bloody fantastic this forum can be, Les deserves a medal for all he does in raising money for charity and making this place a bit more bearable.

Agree/disagree/debate but FFS, let's leave that moron in the past and actually enjoy that we now have owners who are trying their up most to make this club one we are proud of again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 165 - 199
August 10, 2021, 8:15am
Guest User
Quoted from pen penfras

No, I don't think Fenty should have stayed and I said years before he went that his time was up.

As for being a wind up merchant, right now I am to an extent. Not trying to wind people up, but the same people who would cane Fenty for doing the same things as the new guys have want patience and understanding for doing the same things. I said all along that it wasn't about what Fenty did that got criticised, it was because it was him that's doing it and the majority of the most critical are the ones asking for patience. At least codger and LCL are consistent with their criticism, even if it isn't warranted (which right now it isn't).

As for the things that Forza is asking for evidence for, I can't show evidence, but I have friends who work for the club and they are 100% in the know about these things and I know that Hurst didn't care if we kept Amond, he even dropped him in the middle of his purple patch because he didn't chase down enough. The low wage offer to our best player from last season who was one of the stand out defenders in the league once played there is true and as is the ridiculous cost of £100k+ on a glass barrier.

Hurst mentioned the budget in his last interview. It's already sowing the seeds of it's not his fault, but he can't come out and criticise like he did last season because he knew he wouldn't get sacked when Fenty had a few weeks left.

TROLL!!

Reply: 166 - 199
barralad
August 10, 2021, 8:21am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,299
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

Is this grant a new thing or something the previous regime didn’t know or care about ?

The money has come from the Football Foundation via GTSET. It is specifically for ground improvements. It's not new. There is very little money or involvement from the actual club. The Trust have worked to the budget provided by the amount of grant available and apart from some small considerations which can be picked up by the club as more general ground improvements, the excess costs (if any) will be met from Trust funds. I have to say that a number of people have worked very hard to get to where we are. They have done it on a volunteer basis. Without the new recruits to the Trust Board we would never have been in the position to get to this point.
This isn't aimed at you but it is a very, very poor example of something to use to somehow illustrate that the club (and by definition the new owners) are prioritising ground improvements over on-field considerations.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 167 - 199
Roast Em Bobby
August 10, 2021, 8:32am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,728
Gold Stars: 44
PP - If you've got a mate that works at the club then why don't you ask him what PH's budget is, and how that compares to previous seasons?

The new owners have said from the start that they've given PH a competitive budget AND that they were going to invest in upgrading the infrastructure. However you (and others) now seem to be trying to play off money spent on infrastructure against money spent on players - which is only a valid argument if they haven't provided PH with the budget they said they would.

If I was Jason or Andrew reading this thread, then I'd already be asking myself why I've even bothered investing in the club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 168 - 199
chipsandgravy
August 10, 2021, 9:03am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,631
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby
PP - If you've got a mate that works at the club then why don't you ask him what PH's budget is, and how that compares to previous seasons?

The new owners have said from the start that they've given PH a competitive budget AND that they were going to invest in upgrading the infrastructure. However you (and others) now seem to be trying to play off money spent on infrastructure against money spent on players - which is only a valid argument if they haven't provided PH with the budget they said they would.

If I was Jason or Andrew reading this thread, then I'd already be asking myself why I've even bothered investing in the club.

There called cynics. There the worst. They are like that in life and can suck the life out of a room just by being in it. Something along the way made them like that and unfortunately they bring it on here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 169 - 199
20 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › All mouth and no trousers?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.