2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Nutsy
July 18, 2021, 10:12am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +158
Gold Stars: 5
So after yesterday, and the fact I’m still struggling to put names to positions etc, what do people think out first XI should be looking like?
Logged Offline
Private Message
jamesgtfc
July 18, 2021, 10:20am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,052
Gold Stars: 190
I think yesterday was balancing the ability across both halves.

Pearson and Longe-King partnered at the back for the first half but Efete and Crookes were the second half full backs. I would expect that to be our first choice back 4.

See what the verdict is on LJL and Taylor but it looks like neither of those will be starting the season.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 13
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
July 18, 2021, 10:31am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +876
Gold Stars: 123
After yesterday's showing, it would be good to see Essel given a run of friendlies. He may well end up as one of our early season strikers if the Crock brothers are out for the foreseeable
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 13
livosnose
July 18, 2021, 10:34am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,186
Gold Stars: 16
Think Hurst will go with a 4 2 1 3 formation.  

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 13
Poojah
July 18, 2021, 10:52am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,889
Gold Stars: 1,527
As good a shape as we’re in this early on in terms of numbers, I still think we are missing a couple of key pieces of the jigsaw, particularly in attacking positions.

Hurst alluded the other day that he sees McAtee more as an attacking midfielder than an out and out striker, meaning all we’ve truly got up top right now is LJL and Taylor, 32 and 33 respectively, plus the youngsters.

As has been mentioned a few times, the number 9 spot remains free and I expect that we are holding for something quite big there, hence why it’s taking a bit longer. I’m thinking more along the lines of an established EFL journeyman (a la Amond in 2015) than a non-league starlet like Tshimanga, who will end up in League One in my opinion. Caolan Lavery is a name I’ve seen mentioned, though I’m merely regurgitating rumours and not pretending to be ‘ITK’.

I also think we’ll still see a couple of loan deals at least - perhaps another striker and a young goalkeeper. Further options needed at left back too, whilst the number 7 berth also remains open.

Whatever happens with those few remaining places may well dictate what our best XI looks like, but I do think we’ll see a lot more tactical fluidity than we did with Hurst last time around in the NL. Previously, he was never able to achieve consistent success with anything other than a rigid 442, which was sometimes predictable and turgid to watch and I think possibly the source of some people’s frustration with him.

I think things will be better on that front this time around.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 13
HertsGTFC
July 18, 2021, 11:55am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
I think we’re probably further on in terms of numbers than we’ve been for a long time especially when you think the NL season starts later than the EFL.

Clearly Hurst is looking and he did elude to the fact it hasn’t quite warmed up yet.

I imagine we’ll see a loanee or two to support another 1 or 2 contracted signings.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 13
Stew0_0
July 18, 2021, 12:06pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,196
Gold Stars: 35
On yesterdays showing, injuries to strikers and the fact that Sousa is already one game behind in pre-season i think that this is the current strongest 11. Depending on which new striker we can get in and get fit before Bromley.

McKeown

Efete    Longe-King    Pearson   Crookes

Coke
            Clifton                    Fox

McAtee            Grant              Wright

Weve some strong options from the bench now though with Sears, Sousa, Spokes, Scannell and Khouri looking good also
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 13
jamesgtfc
July 18, 2021, 12:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,052
Gold Stars: 190
I see that Hurst has said Taylor is being sent for a scan. I don't recall us sending players for scans that quickly in the past?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 13
Croxton
July 18, 2021, 1:23pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,019
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from Stew0_0
On yesterdays showing, injuries to strikers and the fact that Sousa is already one game behind in pre-season i think that this is the current strongest 11. Depending on which new striker we can get in and get fit before Bromley.

McKeown

Efete    Longe-King    Pearson   Crookes

Coke
            Clifton                    Fox

McAtee            Grant              Wright

Weve some strong options from the bench now though with Sears, Sousa, Spokes, Scannell and Khouri looking good also

On the Known knowns I would agree but if only I knew Sousa like you know Sousa!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 13
HertsGTFC
July 18, 2021, 4:30pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from jamesgtfc
I see that Hurst has said Taylor is being sent for a scan. I don't recall us sending players for scans that quickly in the past?

John’s not signing the cheques anymore……. Then again I doubt he ever did.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 13
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › First XI

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.