4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Mariner93er
July 7, 2021, 10:18am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,736
Gold Stars: 28
Put a fiver on Denmark to get knocked out in the semis pre tournament, so let’s hope it’s a win win tonight!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 37
jimgtfc
July 7, 2021, 11:09am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,104
Gold Stars: 46
0-0 England on pens

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 37
AdamHaddock
July 7, 2021, 11:22am

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +37 / -5
Approval: +2,841
Gold Stars: 26
1-0 after extra time
Foden

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 37
Toppy
July 7, 2021, 12:25pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / -3
Approval: +83
As a Town supporting pessimist I thought we might lose to Ukraine. After the high of beating Germany and the switch to Rome, I was expecting us to struggle.

I am far more confident about tonight.

When England drew 0-0 with Denmark last September I pointed out on here that Denmark had avoided defeat against virtually everyone apart from Belgium over the past few years. They were well organised and tough to beat. If this match would have been played a couple of months ago I would have fancied Denmark.

Many on here, including me, tipped Denmark as dark horses to go far in this tournament.

However, since the awful Eriksen cardiac arrest, Denmark have changed their system and are more like the great attacking Danish sides of the 80s than the 1992 Euro winners.

Denmark have expelled a lot of mental and physical energy over the past few weeks. Obviously, the Finland match. In the Belgium game they threw everything into the first half on an emotional night. They then thrashed Russia and Wales, still bombing forward looking for late goals in both matches.

Although Denmark beat Czech Rep, they were clearly drained by 60 mins. Christensen, Kjær and Mæhle are all carrying knocks and they had to cope with the heat, upheaval and longer journeys of playing in Baku.

Vestergaard won’t have slept worrying about facing any of England’s right wingers and is like a hurricane damaged telegraph pole waiting to be decommissioned. Mæhle struggled against Belgium whenever Lukaku moved out to the right flank and he hasn’t really been tested defensively since. Likewise Larsen at RWB is better going forward. Damsgaard rarely lasts more than 70 mins.

Despite the scorelines, Denmark have had 5 tough matches. They were still pushing for goals late on against Russia and Wales, expending a lot of effort, and that showed in the second half against Czech Republic.

By contrast England have played:

Croatia - tough match in the sun but controlled the match
Scotland - we didn’t appear to expend much effort! None actually!
Czech Rep - 2nd half was like a friendly
Germany - tough match
Ukraine - game was over after 50 mins

Our squad must be so much fresher, mentally and physically.

A very good summary (and 1000th post) from Knut but I don't think the loss of Eriksen resulted in a change of system. When Kasper Hjulmand took over as the national coach in 2020 he inherited a very good team with a good team spirit who were hard to beat. Since then, he has introduced a much more potent attacking philosophy along with a number of new, young players. He is also an astute tactician and has shown himself to be quite willing to change formations during a game.
I like watching Denmark play and I am sad to say that I think they are more entertaining to watch than England. However, I think with home advantage England will be too strong for them tonight so I expect an England win (plus a win over Italy in the final).

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 37
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
July 7, 2021, 12:56pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.84
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,832
Gold Stars: 556
Quoted from Toppy

A very good summary (and 1000th post) from Knut but I don't think the loss of Eriksen resulted in a change of system. When Kasper Hjulmand took over as the national coach in 2020 he inherited a very good team with a good team spirit who were hard to beat. Since then, he has introduced a much more potent attacking philosophy along with a number of new, young players. He is also an astute tactician and has shown himself to be quite willing to change formations during a game.

Cheers!

Denmark have virtually always played 4 at the back since Hjulmand took over (and before), including in that first match of the tournament against Finland. They only switched to 3 + 2 wing-backs for the second game against Belgium. Before the 'Eriksen incident' all the play went through Eriksen.

Højbjerg has now taken on some of the playmaking, along with Damsgaard and Maehle has turned into Roberto Carlos.

I wish them good luck for next year's world cup
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 37
Mallyner
July 7, 2021, 1:24pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,515
Gold Stars: 23
England 3 Denmark 0  

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 37
promotion plaice
July 8, 2021, 9:21am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,082
Gold Stars: 201

So it ended England 2-1 Denmark after extra time.

If we cut a bit of slack well done to....

promotion plaice  
IlkleyMariner
TownSNAFU5
grimsby pete.....exact FT/extra time prediction ..
GY 1....exact FT/extra time prediction ..
A.l.f.    

and Mariner93er won the bet  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 37
promotion plaice
July 9, 2021, 9:13am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,082
Gold Stars: 201

Sorry missed Pete off, now amended.

My hangover must have been worse than I thought  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 37
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › England v Denmark.....Score Predictions

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.