Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › council want to talk to Town about new stadium
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 261 Guests

council want to talk to Town about new stadium

This thread currently has 60,505 views. Print
53 Pages Prev ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 Next All Recommend Thread
Teestogreen
February 25, 2022, 8:34pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -163
Gold Stars: 23
Grant Street -big car park but not big enough imo for a football stadium . Being used for COVID testing. Managed to park for nothing (outside the car park) when collecting my dear mums ashes from Mashfords recently.
UTM

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 510 - 520
KingstonMariner
February 25, 2022, 9:00pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from grimsby pete
When you go up and down the country Cleethorpes beach must be up there in the top ten.

Having said that there is not a lot more going for it.

Most seaside resorts have a variety show on their piers we have a fish + chip  cafe.

Years of doing nothing in both towns is why some players don't want to live here.

We could have a resort to be proud of it we had a council with a bit of get up and go.

The same can be said with the Grimsby council all talk very little action.

Get decent eating places ,live shows and good parking places along with modern cinema's so people have a decent choice on where to go in the evening or while on holiday and people will visit the area bringing in loads of money making the area a pleasure to visit or even live.

But Pete, all those things you mention are nothing to do with the council. It’s Leisure and hospitality. Private sector businesses. If they don’t think they’re going to make profits they won’t invest.

The council can only approve planning applications (or reject them), it can’t develop new businesses. If it had the money it could improve the infrastructure to make it a more welcoming place. If it had the money.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 511 - 520
Theimperialcoroner
February 25, 2022, 11:31pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,283
Gold Stars: 103
Things are happening and they need to be embraced, Docks Academy for a start, it’s tremendous getting decent bands like the Sherlocks rocking up, the whole green energy thing could make this town a real leader but it needs embracing fully so much more, just needs the Dillard’s on the council to come along for the ride.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 512 - 520
aldi_01
February 26, 2022, 6:35am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
The thing with the dullards on the council is they’re not even lining their own pockets now. They’re gaining nothing from being backwards thinking.

The potential is there, it really is and whilst the naysayers argue different, a vision and some investment can make a difference. It’s not always about cash either, as we said with our beloved club, investment comes in many ways. Sometimes just time and care. There are local people desperate to make a difference, let them, but don’t take the urine. Build a community, build a brand, crate a place where people want to live and people want to visit.

If the naysayers and negative nellies don’t like it, leave them too it. They bring nothing to the town anyway…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 513 - 520
moosey_club
February 26, 2022, 10:10am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,317
Gold Stars: 229
Quoted from aldi_01
The thing with the dullards on the council is they’re not even lining their own pockets now. They’re gaining nothing from being backwards thinking.

The potential is there, it really is and whilst the naysayers argue different, a vision and some investment can make a difference. It’s not always about cash either, as we said with our beloved club, investment comes in many ways. Sometimes just time and care. There are local people desperate to make a difference, let them, but don’t take the urine. Build a community, build a brand, crate a place where people want to live and people want to visit.

If the naysayers and negative nellies don’t like it, leave them too it. They bring nothing to the town anyway…

They all just play at being politicians really, try and do popular things in their own little patches but not have the wider view.......let's face it ....JF the prime example....joined up so he could try and get his scheme through. Defreitas....hotly disputed the PP scheme largely because it was in his ward, was mobilising the nimbys before any planning process even started. Same as Great Coates all those years ago.  Councillors don't have the bottle to carry stuff through,  slightest objection and they back track in case they lose their power.
Remember the Palm Tree project for the sea front ? Oh it will be a massive focal point for the North prom, increase footfall , shot in the arm for the traders up that end.....they even laid marker stones all along the prom for it.....a few objections....quietly withdrawn and sunk without a trace.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 514 - 520
rancido
February 26, 2022, 10:58am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,658
Gold Stars: 101
Quoted from aldi_01

Nobody is more critical of our Council, both past and present, than me. Unfortunately everytime they do propose any kind of progressive development the naysayers and small-town small-minded people immediately criticise it. The proposal to site our new ground off the Peaks Parkway is a prime example. Regardless of whether it was the best location for the Club the outcry, encouraged by local councillors, was immense. The prime objection was the close proximity to the Crematorium, regardless of the fact that cremations don't occur on Saturdays or during the evening.
Every single development results in the same hackneyed objections - better things to spend the money on, wrong place, won't get used blah blah blah. It's not as if this is a modern phenomena.  Since I first took any kind of interest in local politics over 50 years ago, regardless of which political party has run the show, the small minded people decry everything. And then the local population wonder why we have become a under funded backwater?

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 515 - 520
NorthseaMariner
February 26, 2022, 11:49am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,523
Gold Stars: 11
We need a dual carriageway to Lincoln and greatly improved railway connections. Even the proposed second bridge across the Humber. If we were better connected a lot more investment would come our way and the rest would follow.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 516 - 520
aldi_01
February 27, 2022, 6:06am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from rancido

Nobody is more critical of our Council, both past and present, than me. Unfortunately everytime they do propose any kind of progressive development the naysayers and small-town small-minded people immediately criticise it. The proposal to site our new ground off the Peaks Parkway is a prime example. Regardless of whether it was the best location for the Club the outcry, encouraged by local councillors, was immense. The prime objection was the close proximity to the Crematorium, regardless of the fact that cremations don't occur on Saturdays or during the evening.
Every single development results in the same hackneyed objections - better things to spend the money on, wrong place, won't get used blah blah blah. It's not as if this is a modern phenomena.  Since I first took any kind of interest in local politics over 50 years ago, regardless of which political party has run the show, the small minded people decry everything. And then the local population wonder why we have become a under funded backwater?

I don’t disagree at all. I remember at one of the public meetings regarding PP some old fart acruslly stood up, unfolded a piece of paper, an old copy of the Sports Telegraph from about 1995/6 and pointed to a small article regarding the possibility of a rock concert at the new stadium…instead of shutting him down they let him carry on.

Now it’s well known I despise Fenty and whilst I don’t believe he would’ve ever taken the stadium project beyond a homosexual packet design, in that moment even I agreed with his head shake.

The naysayers are walking hypocrites, they’re always the ones criticising the area for lack of development and progress, yet they very rarely use anything local and oppose any opportunity for development. Heard some silly old girl private in my local club, someone mentioned about getting Docks’ ale in, he starts rambling about the place…having never been, clearly having no desire to and then about location…when corrected by various folk he just said, ‘but why do we need it’…flipping nowt as queer as folk…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 517 - 520
Scenes on toast
February 27, 2022, 9:19am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +393
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from NorthseaMariner
We need a dual carriageway to Lincoln and greatly improved railway connections. Even the proposed second bridge across the Humber. If we were better connected a lot more investment would come our way and the rest would follow.

Exactly this , superb post. 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 518 - 520
White_shorts
March 1, 2022, 5:00pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -652
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from rancido

The original plan drawn up by Steven Ibbotson Architects showed a 100,000 sq ft superstore, two drive-thru takeaways and a petrol filling station next to the crematorium. They would have been open all day, every day.

Thankfully, Fenty didn't get round to putting in an application for that diabolical scheme.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 519 - 520
53 Pages Prev ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › council want to talk to Town about new stadium

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.