Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › council want to talk to Town about new stadium
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 265 Guests

council want to talk to Town about new stadium

This thread currently has 60,504 views. Print
53 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
diehardmariner
June 4, 2021, 12:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,716
Gold Stars: 543
Is Blundell Park impossible to rebuild?

I fully appreciate there's going to be limitations but this was the line that was continually pushed out by the Fenty and his mob.  The new owners, especially AP, are experienced in regeneration as far as I'm aware and will have a far greater insight into what can and can't be done at Blundell Park.

Whatever happens, Blundell Park needs to be used more than just on matchdays.  The location and access to parking will be the biggest obstacle to that I'd imagine.  

The council can get copulated though.  Tired of their faux interest in the club.  That bloody palm tree sums them up.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 520
aldi_01
June 4, 2021, 12:23pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from diehardmariner
Is Blundell Park impossible to rebuild?

I fully appreciate there's going to be limitations but this was the line that was continually pushed out by the Fenty and his mob.  The new owners, especially AP, are experienced in regeneration as far as I'm aware and will have a far greater insight into what can and can't be done at Blundell Park.

Whatever happens, Blundell Park needs to be used more than just on matchdays.  The location and access to parking will be the biggest obstacle to that I'd imagine.  

The council can get copulated though.  Tired of their faux interest in the club.  That bloody palm tree sums them up.

Agreed...the line that it was impossible to redevelop was merely another nonsense line from Fenty to ensure he could push his agenda towards a vanity project aimed at making him a bit of wedge and massaging his ego as the man that got us a new ground...

I’d imagine AP in particular knows various folk who could deliver that regeneration and redevelopment and a fraction of the cost of a new ground...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 520
grimsby pete
June 4, 2021, 12:34pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,836
Gold Stars: 222
All of our happy memories are at Blundell Park and some not so good ones as well.

I think it could be a few more years before a new stadium is built.

So while we are waiting why not do the park up a bit ?

Extending the main stand or even knocking it down and having a new one might be the way forward.

Extend the pontoon so all of that end of the ground is covered in.

That will take the ground capacity to between 11,000 - 12,500.

That gives us a few years before a new ground is required.

Then when we have all the finance sorted and how a new stadium will work we can think about where we should put it.

Brentford who will be playing in the premier next season chose to build their ground in the tight space that was available so what's the rush it will be another 5 or 6 years at least before we get to the premier .

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 520
Mrbump53
June 4, 2021, 1:12pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +335
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from mimma
With the recent announcement about the building of a new road linking the roundabout at Morrisons to the roundabout on the M180, would it make the old Great Coates site become more viable? It would open up more land for building, so would there be a new site for a new stadium?

Looking at the route it would need to take this may be as likely as a new stadium. There is no real reason to build from morrisons to the A180 as you already have a number of roads leading off to various locations. Also the road would go through a lot of greenfield sites, some beauty spots and no doubt the nesting area of the "great crested newt" will be involved along the way!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 520
chrissy
June 4, 2021, 1:13pm

I LOVE GRIMSBY TOWN
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +563
If we get a new stadium we could also use the palm tree to light up the car park. With a sign saying sponsored by North East Lincolnshire Council.

I LOVE GRIMSBY TOWN

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 520
BobbyCummingsTackle
June 4, 2021, 1:46pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,319
Gold Stars: 309
Quoted from Mrbump53

Looking at the route it would need to take this may be as likely as a new stadium. There is no real reason to build from morrisons to the A180 as you already have a number of roads leading off to various locations. Also the road would go through a lot of greenfield sites, some beauty spots and no doubt the nesting area of the "great crested newt" will be involved along the way!

I don't live in Grimsby so this is the first I've heard of this 'plan' and my immediate reaction was 'a road from Morrisons to the A180? What the f*ck do they want for, it's a road from nowhere to nowhere'. And it's not like the road's needed to ease massive congestion.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 520
mimma
June 4, 2021, 1:52pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,580
Gold Stars: 78
Quoted from Mrbump53

Have you ever driven into town from the M180 in the afternoon?  The tailback can reach Great Cotes somedays.  This new road would take a lot of traffic away towards Bradley, that would otherwise have to go into town.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 520
BobbyCummingsTackle
June 4, 2021, 1:55pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from horsforthmariner
Am I the only person who doesn't want to move?

I like the fact that our stadium is vintage. I'm doubtful post pandemic that many of the sources of revenue that a new stadium would bring (meeting rooms) are as viable as they once were and I just don't see how heaping a load of debt onto the club helps us on the pitch.

I've said this elsewhere and I'm happy to take the red crosses...

BP is one of the few areas of supporting Town where I have no rose coloured specs or heart over head. It isn't "vintage". It's a f*cking sh*thole. I am embarrassed by the place, it's like watching sport on a dystopian science fiction movie set. It is the last word on where we are as a club, decrepit and badly needing a major overhaul.

As facilities at other leisure pursuits get better and more comfortable BP just looks worse and worse.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 520
BobbyCummingsTackle
June 4, 2021, 2:00pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from mimma

Have you ever driven into town from the M180 in the afternoon?  The tailback can reach Great Cotes somedays.  This new road would take a lot of traffic away towards Bradley, that would otherwise have to go into town.

Surely any traffic heading towards Bradley would have got off the M/A180 long before the 'town'? My folks live in Waltham and I wouldn't dream of going into town to get there (off at Barnetby Top).

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 520
BobbyCummingsTackle
June 4, 2021, 2:25pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete
All of our happy memories are at Blundell Park and some not so good ones as well.

I think it could be a few more years before a new stadium is built.

So while we are waiting why not do the park up a bit ?

Extending the main stand or even knocking it down and having a new one might be the way forward.

Extend the pontoon so all of that end of the ground is covered in.

That will take the ground capacity to between 11,000 - 12,500.

That gives us a few years before a new ground is required.

Then when we have all the finance sorted and how a new stadium will work we can think about where we should put it.

Brentford who will be playing in the premier next season chose to build their ground in the tight space that was available so what's the rush it will be another 5 or 6 years at least before we get to the premier .

Brentford's ground may well be in a tight space but it's completely new and built on a brownfield site - it was tight because it's between 2 railway lines and a road. It's a shortish walk away from Griffin Park.

It's also a community stadium built alongside the council.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 520
53 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › council want to talk to Town about new stadium

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.