This thread currently has 16,524 views. Print
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Mikoo
May 28, 2021, 12:07pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: +466
English right winger for Keflavik in the Icelandic league.

Girlfriend is from Grimsby and wants to move back home (she is my cousin hence how I know).

2 year deal with option of a 3rd year.

95% done deal, be announced either next week or week after once the contracts with Hendrie and Coke are announced.

You’re welcome.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Hagrid
May 28, 2021, 12:14pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,517
Gold Stars: 544
whats he Like Mikoo?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 64
Mikoo
May 28, 2021, 12:21pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: +466
Good direct runner, likes to get to the byline and put a cross in. Good technique too, likes a good free kick. Not seen him play since his Leicester u18 days a few years ago but has done well in Iceland so should be a good player for us
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 64
promotion plaice
May 28, 2021, 12:39pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,082
Gold Stars: 201

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 64
diehardmariner
May 28, 2021, 12:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,716
Gold Stars: 543
I can't be alone in having a wry smile that Keflavik appear to be sponsored by Netto.

As a kid, there literally was nothing more damaging to your playground standing than turning up with your PE kit in a bright yellow and black NETTO carrier bag or having someone point out that an item of your packed lunch was from said shop.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 64
Heswall Mariner
May 28, 2021, 1:03pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +594
Gold Stars: 30
Of course I could well be wrong on this - however unless PH has had him over here on trial during their off season I doubt he's seen him play or knows much about the lads' performances over the last couple of years.
Paul Hurst is no Holloway & won't be handing out 2/3 year contracts on a whim & hoping for the best.
Why wait until Hendrie's & Coke's contracts are sorted - neither of who are wingers?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 64
BobbyCummingsTackle
May 28, 2021, 1:04pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,319
Gold Stars: 309
Very disappointing that this rumour doesn't involve sitings at an A180 petrol station, clandestine meetings at Millfields or (God forbid) prominent local chippies.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 64
KingstonMariner
May 28, 2021, 1:14pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from diehardmariner
I can't be alone in having a wry smile that Keflavik appear to be sponsored by Netto.

As a kid, there literally was nothing more damaging to your playground standing than turning up with your PE kit in a bright yellow and black NETTO carrier bag or having someone point out that an item of your packed lunch was from said shop.

I remember my niece who was about 10 at the time telling me a joke Netto carriers. Not political correct. 😆

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 64
SpudUDontLike
May 28, 2021, 1:17pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +309
Gold Stars: 8
Very good at getting fouled by the looks of it

We are destined to a fool's fate that deserves to be mocked.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 64
Poojah
May 28, 2021, 1:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,878
Gold Stars: 1,523

I'm still getting over the torment brought about by the 'No Frills' crisps that used to turn up in my packed lunch as a kid.

Still, it could be worse. A kid I went to school with at Lindsey was, shall we say, of a very sizeable build. He was a big Liverpool fan, and one weekend had made a trip to Anfield to watch them play with his mum who had very kindly bought him the full, brand new away strip - that unusual mid-90s cream affair with the round collar.

Anyway, the following week he'd proudly packed it into his PE bag to wear during during the football session we were due to have. The sniggers began in the changing room when it became apparent that he hadn't quite got the sizing right - it looked literally painted on, except for the bit between his waistline and his belly button where the material couldn't quite stretch.

You know how brutal these environments can be at the best of times - kids can be such cúnts (hands up, I was no angel). You could hear all the various píss taking going on in the background, duly ignored by the kid - it was all water off a very fat duck's back.

But then he turned round.

He'd had his shirt printed with one of his favourite player's names. Now, Liverpool had some decent players in their ranks in those days - Robbie Fowler, Steve McManaman, Stan Collymore. Did he opt for any of those? No. His favourite player was number 15, Patrick Berger.

Everyone píssed themselves laughing, heckling the poor kid relentlessly. The fat lad whose kit didn't fit had only gone and got "BURGER" written on his shirt - with not so much of an ounce of irony intended. He'd have been better off getting the home kit, as at least it would have detracted from the red hue his face duly turned - whether it was anger or embarrassment, or a mix both, I'll never know.

Harsh times.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 64
Kris2
May 28, 2021, 2:36pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136

The very same people grew up and advocated shopping at Aldi and Lidl because the prices are so much cheaper than Tesco.  
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 64
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
May 28, 2021, 3:09pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +877
Gold Stars: 123
Was that him scoring those goals, or providing the passes to set them up? A few sweet strikes but how many seasons were his highlights from?

He does like laying on the ground so it seems. Might be quick with his feet but easily tackled.

His girlfriend is from Grimsby!!! Well....thats a better reason to sign him than any reason Holloway had for anything he signed. Apparantly one could play darts (always on his team when playing), one had once eaten at the same chippy as him, and another once spoke to someone who passed him in the street 10 years ago. All perfectly viable reasons to sign a player.

Lets hope Hurst doesnt sign him out of sympathy for feeling homesick.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 64
male private Nale
May 28, 2021, 3:11pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -925
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from KingstonMariner

I remember my niece who was about 10 at the time telling me a joke Netto carriers. Not political correct. 😆

I have yet to be told a funny ‘politically correct’ joke.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 64
Madeleymariner
May 28, 2021, 3:14pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,063
Gold Stars: 51
He can't be very good he doesn't have a Wiki page yet  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 64
GollyGTFC
May 28, 2021, 3:37pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,066
Gold Stars: 359
I doubt it will happen. He hasn’t even followed anyone with a GTFC connection on Twitter.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 14 - 64
kafunanapar140909
May 28, 2021, 4:03pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +575
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from GollyGTFC
I doubt it will happen. He hasn’t even followed anyone with a GTFC connection on Twitter.

Yeah. I’ll only believe it once he follows Dave Moore on Instagram.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 64
forza ivano
May 28, 2021, 4:48pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,285
Gold Stars: 266
featured here, about 3rd one down. Doesn't tell us too much, but can't believe the Icelandic 2nd division can be any great shakes

ps has some nice tricks in the video, and if he does sign the tackling in the NL won't come as any surprise looking at some of the agricultural lunges on the video

https://englishplayersabroad.wordpress.com/2020/11/10/five-breakout-stars-of-the-2020-season/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 64
livosnose
May 28, 2021, 4:54pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,185
Gold Stars: 16
Quoted from Poojah

I'm still getting over the torment brought about by the 'No Frills' crisps that used to turn up in my packed lunch as a kid.

Still, it could be worse. A kid I went to school with at Lindsey was, shall we say, of a very sizeable build. He was a big Liverpool fan, and one weekend had made a trip to Anfield to watch them play with his mum who had very kindly bought him the full, brand new away strip - that unusual mid-90s cream affair with the round collar.

Anyway, the following week he'd proudly packed it into his PE bag to wear during during the football session we were due to have. The sniggers began in the changing room when it became apparent that he hadn't quite got the sizing right - it looked literally painted on, except for the bit between his waistline and his belly button where the material couldn't quite stretch.

You know how brutal these environments can be at the best of times - kids can be such cúnts (hands up, I was no angel). You could hear all the various píss taking going on in the background, duly ignored by the kid - it was all water off a very fat duck's back.

He'd had his shirt printed with one of his favourite player's names. Now, Liverpool had some decent players in their ranks in those days - Robbie Fowler, Steve McManaman, Stan Collymore. Did he opt for any of those? No. His favourite player was number 15, Patrick Berger.

Everyone píssed themselves laughing, heckling the poor kid relentlessly. The fat lad whose kit didn't fit had only gone and got "BURGER" written on his shirt - with not so much of an ounce of irony intended. He'd have been better off getting the home kit, as at least it would have detracted from the red hue his face duly turned - whether it was anger or embarrassment, or a mix both, I'll never know.

Harsh times.

No Frills and Kwik Save.  Tony Ford used to pop in and buy lemon curd tarts when I worked at the one down wellogate !

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 64
BobbyCummingsTackle
May 28, 2021, 5:02pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

Harsh times.

To be fair, he'd only look like Neil Ruddock did in that kit.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 64
Poojah
May 28, 2021, 5:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,878
Gold Stars: 1,523

To be fair, he'd only look like Neil Ruddock did in that kit.

Not the right kit but the overall look wasn’t too dissimilar to this to be fair.

[img]https://0-i2--prod-irishmirror-ie-0.cdn.ampproject.org/ii/w820/s/i2-prod.irishmirror.ie/incoming/article14108717.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/2_HARRY_HEROES_034JPGed.jpg[/img]

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 64
louth_in_the_south
May 28, 2021, 5:12pm

Exile
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,712
Gold Stars: 96
You’re cousins boyfriend or who whoever he is is never going to have a career in fooking football. Get over it

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 64
KingstonMariner
May 28, 2021, 5:41pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from male private Nale

I have yet to be told a funny ‘politically correct’ joke.

You must hang around with some dull people

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 64
ginnywings
May 28, 2021, 5:54pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
I heard a whisper that we are signing one or two players next week, so he could be one of them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 64
jamesgtfc
May 28, 2021, 6:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from ginnywings
I heard a whisper that we are signing one or two players next week, so he could be one of them.

We've just received £250k for our player and £100k from Peterborough for Dembele and we are signing cheap options from the Icelandic Second Division!

Someone had to say it...

In Hurst I trust. I'm interested to see how the transfer fees get spent now that there isn't a benign loan to service though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 64
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
May 28, 2021, 8:59pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,022
Gold Stars: 59
Feckin Keflavik! It's about time we got something out of that place.

And when you fall back into the mud it hurts a lot.
No! None of it was true, none of those things we thought we could see existed at all.
All that was really there was still more misery

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 64
TownSNAFU5
May 28, 2021, 9:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
I hope that the new lad does not get frozen out of the team.  At least he can ice free kicks.  He will at least feel at home in the winter night games and not need to thaw out.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 64
Northbank Mariner
May 28, 2021, 9:55pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,533
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
I hope that the new lad does not get frozen out of the team.  At least he can ice free kicks.  He will at least feel at home in the winter night games and not need to thaw out.  

I'd get ya coat...and no, you haven't pulled!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 64
mariner91
May 28, 2021, 10:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,769
Gold Stars: 262
Seems a bit of an odd signing if true. The standard in Iceland isn’t even the same as Sweden and in Sweden Moses Ogbu appears a world beater. Good luck to him if he does sign.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 64
KingstonMariner
May 28, 2021, 11:42pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from mariner91
Seems a bit of an odd signing if true. The standard in Iceland isn’t even the same as Sweden and in Sweden Moses Ogbu appears a world beater. Good luck to him if he does sign.

Not surprising given the whole island’s population is roughly the same as Hull.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 64
mariner91
May 28, 2021, 11:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Not surprising given the whole island’s population is roughly the same as Hull.

Absolutely, it's not a dig at Iceland at all. But unless you are absolutely the best player in that league the standard is still very, very poor.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 64
grimsby pete
May 29, 2021, 12:30am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,836
Gold Stars: 222
Unless he has already been over here and been on trial with Hurst the length of the contract seems a bit Holloway.

If he has been here a few weeks Paul must have liked what he saw to offer that deal.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 64
Mayaman
May 29, 2021, 1:22am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,442
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from Poojah

Harsh times.

Great story poor lad.  When I was in secondary I asked my mother for some football boots.  She asked me what for, my brow furrowed.  "For the football team", I replied.  Without taking her eye from the Grimsby telegraph she stated that it wasn't worth it as I didn't have long left at school.  I still had another year.

On Saturday's I used to helm my nan on Freemo market and she'd pay me.  I saw some football boots there for a quid.  The only problem was that they were white. Nowadays, nobody would bat an eyelid with the myriad of colours on offer in the modern game.  In those days footie boots were black and only black. I hit upon an ingenious idea.  I'd buy then and paint them.  

On the day of the next game I pulled them out of my bag with some trepidation.  They were met with approval as I stuck then on and headed out onto the pitch.  I started off playing with confidence but soon realised that bits of paint was peeling off. I ended up looking like a friesian cow!!.  Boy did they rib me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 64
Mayaman
May 29, 2021, 1:25am
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

and they still beat England in the Euros
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 64
golfer
May 29, 2021, 6:25am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from grimsby pete
Unless he has already been over here and been on trial with Hurst the length of the contract seems a bit Holloway.

If he has been here a few weeks Paul must have liked what he saw to offer that deal.

Understand he made good partnerships with Pollock  and  Hewitt
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 64
May 29, 2021, 6:41am
Guest User
Quoted from forza ivano
featured here, about 3rd one down. Doesn't tell us too much, but can't believe the Icelandic 2nd division can be any great shakes

ps has some nice tricks in the video, and if he does sign the tackling in the NL won't come as any surprise looking at some of the agricultural lunges on the video

https://englishplayersabroad.wordpress.com/2020/11/10/five-breakout-stars-of-the-2020-season/

They won the League though, so if he stays with them next season, he will be playing in the 1st Division.  Superb strike for that goal!

Reply: 34 - 64
louth_in_the_south
May 29, 2021, 7:29am

Exile
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
You’re cousins boyfriend or who whoever he is is never going to have a career in fooking football. Get over it

16 red Xs . My life feels almost complete. I’m in Filipe Noche territory now

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 64
Humbercod
May 29, 2021, 7:50am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Approval: -3,503
Gold Stars: 82
Could do with a pre-season in the gym, looks to lightweight for English non league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 64
Posh Harry
May 29, 2021, 7:59am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,376
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from Humbercod
Could do with a pre-season in the gym, looks to lightweight for English non league.

I’m 20 stone and still probably lightweight for non league football 🙂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 64
moosey_club
May 29, 2021, 9:48am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,317
Gold Stars: 229
Quoted from Mayaman

Great story poor lad.  When I was in secondary I asked my mother for some football boots.  She asked me what for, my brow furrowed.  "For the football team", I replied.  Without taking her eye from the Grimsby telegraph she stated that it wasn't worth it as I didn't have long left at school.  I still had another year.

On Saturday's I used to helm my nan on Freemo market and she'd pay me.  I saw some football boots there for a quid.  
Quoted Text
The only problem was that they were white.
Nowadays, nobody would bat an eyelid with the myriad of colours on offer in the modern game.  In those days footie boots were black and only black. I hit upon an ingenious idea.  I'd buy then and paint them.  

On the day of the next game I pulled them out of my bag with some trepidation.  They were met with approval as I stuck then on and headed out onto the pitch.  I started off playing with confidence but soon realised that bits of paint was peeling off. I ended up looking like a friesian cow!!.  Boy did they rib me.

Pony ?

Remember them well.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 64
WOZOFGRIMSBY
May 29, 2021, 9:53am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +9,023
I don’t understand what the size of a country or the standard of a league has to do with anything tbh.

America is a massive country and the MLS has quite a lot of talent but, the yanks are hardly up in the higher echelons of world football.

Yet, in comparison, Belgium stand at the top of the fifa world rankings and are 322 times smaller.

Iceland have had eidur gudjonsson, gylfi sigurdson and many others that have shone in the premier league so there is obviously some standard of player that will be playing in their leagues. If true, then as usual, let’s not knock the lad before we see what he’s like and remember that PH has turned many a player into something good

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 64
Humbercod
May 29, 2021, 9:56am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Approval: -3,503
Quoted from Posh Harry

I’m 20 stone and still probably lightweight for non league football 🙂

Exactly!
To much of an injury risk, be like playing Gary Childs in a pub team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 64
GollyGTFC
May 29, 2021, 10:06am

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from 123614

They won the League though, so if he stays with them next season, he will be playing in the 1st Division.  Superb strike for that goal!

The Icelandic league system has 5 tiers & just 79 clubs. Keflavík ÍF technically came 13th out of those 79 clubs.

The English pyramid system has 11 tiers & 1,811 clubs. Coming 13th out of 79 clubs equates (in England) to being about 300 out of those 1,811 clubs. That is about upper mid-table in one of eight tier 8 divisions (so the same level as Cleethorpes Town).

He might be brilliant, but I doubt it. He's probably your average Northern Premier League level player.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 41 - 64
moosey_club
May 29, 2021, 10:13am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
I don’t understand what the size of a country or the standard of a league has to do with anything tbh.

America is a massive country and the MLS has quite a lot of talent but, the yanks are hardly up in the higher echelons of world football.

Yet, in comparison, Belgium stand at the top of the fifa world rankings and are 322 times smaller.

Iceland have had eidur gudjonsson, gylfi sigurdson and many others that have shone in the premier league so there is obviously some standard of player that will be playing in their leagues. If true, then as usual, let’s not knock the lad before we see what he’s like and remember that PH has turned many a player into something good

The argument started really well but faded when after you named two icelandic players you resorted to "many others" ....🤣

2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 64
GollyGTFC
May 29, 2021, 10:29am

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club

The argument started really well but faded when after you named two icelandic players you resorted to "many others" ....🤣

I'd also argue that Gylfi Sigurðsson isn't a good example as he never played a single game in the Icelandic League. He was at Reading from the age of 16. And Eiður Guðjohnsen played 17 matches as a 16-year-old in Iceland & 6 on loan as a 19-year-old and that was it.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 43 - 64
WOZOFGRIMSBY
May 29, 2021, 10:35am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +9,023
Should’ve put just ‘others’ 😂

Though heider helgudson, heraiderson and that arsenal goalkeeper are probably the only ones that come to mind

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 64
forza ivano
May 29, 2021, 10:52am

Exile
looks like their close season was Feb - April ,so could've been training with us during that period?

O.P. doesn't post very regularly, so would be a bit random to just start making up a rumour out of the blue
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 64
Lincoln Mariner 56
May 29, 2021, 11:04am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,773
Quoted from GollyGTFC

The Icelandic league system has 5 tiers & just 79 clubs. Keflavík ÍF technically came 13th out of those 79 clubs.

The English pyramid system has 11 tiers & 1,811 clubs. Coming 13th out of 79 clubs equates (in England) to being about 300 out of those 1,811 clubs. That is about upper mid-table in one of eight tier 8 divisions (so the same level as Cleethorpes Town).

He might be brilliant, but I doubt it. He's probably your average Northern Premier League level player.

Whilst I acknowledge that 99% of the time you will be correct in your assessment there are players who slip through the net or aren’t spotted as youngsters. Two examples from here in Lincoln.

I played for the Monson Arms a good team who won the county cup in 1985 beating BRSA, Athletico, Seawave and Crows Nest from Grimsby as part of the cup run. Gary Crosby played for us and Lincoln United, he moved to Grantham, same standard as Lincoln United, under Martin O’Neil and missed the Christmas night out as he was awaiting a call from Alex Ferguson who wanted to sign him as did Forest. He went to Forest and within 8 weeks was playing in the Premiership. Also playing for us was Dave Clucas, father of Sam, who was released by Lincoln twice, went into non league but still ended up in the Premiership and having a good career.

Admittedly rare but it does happen 😀😀.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 64
mariner91
May 29, 2021, 11:51am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

The standard of player a country produces is pretty irrelevant to the standard of player in their league system. Sigurdsson has never even played in the Icelandic leagues and Gudjohnsen only played there when 16 before moving to the Netherlands. Zlatan was a top player but we've seen ourselves that a player who might struggle in L2 can end up being one of the top scorers in the Swedish top division.

I hope I'm wrong and I'm hope he's absolutely brilliant, he could well be as I haven't heard of him before. But the Icelandic second division doesn't strike me as having a pool of talent of the standard required if we expect to challenge for promotion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 64
TownSNAFU5
May 29, 2021, 11:55am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
A big outlier;  Jamie Vardy once played for a steelworks club in Sheffield.  He did quite well after that.

Hurst has a good record at spotting emerging talent.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 64
Grantley
May 29, 2021, 12:44pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,504
Gold Stars: 9
Not that bothered that he’s been playing in Iceland. Him being in Leicester youth teams for a bit means Hurst will have been aware of him for a while. I’m not sure this one alright season will solely be the reason why Hurst (could be) signing him.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 64
toontown
May 29, 2021, 12:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
Its like that lad jolly signed from Spain i suppose, or that lad slade signed from a trainer manufacturers team - both binned off by pro teams in this country. They are a bit long shot but very very cheap and just might come good.

Whatever happened to those two?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 64
toontown
May 29, 2021, 1:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
Also like that lad Hurst signed from new Zealand in his first spell. Hamish was it?

Its like taking a punt on a 60-1 shot thinking that what you can see in them actually makes them a 20-1 shot i guess.

Occasionally they pay off big time. Usually don't but haven't cost much.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 64
moosey_club
May 29, 2021, 1:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Should’ve put just ‘others’ 😂

Though heider helgudson, heraiderson and that arsenal goalkeeper are probably the only ones that come to mind

I also have google .....🤣

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 64
immariner
May 29, 2021, 1:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,414
Gold Stars: 62
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Nah mate 😂 How small do you think Belgium is?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 64
golfer
May 29, 2021, 2:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
A big outlier;  Jamie Vardy once played for a steelworks club in Sheffield.  He did quite well after that.

Hurst has a good record at spotting emerging talent.

I played for Park Utd. in my teens and look where I ended up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 64
forza ivano
June 8, 2021, 3:31pm

Exile
any more news on this Mikoo?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 64
buckstown
June 14, 2021, 12:24pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,237
Gold Stars: 80
Quoted from Mikoo
English right winger for Keflavik in the Icelandic league.

Girlfriend is from Grimsby and wants to move back home (she is my cousin hence how I know).

2 year deal with option of a 3rd year.

95% done deal, be announced either next week or week after once the contracts with Hendrie and Coke are announced.

You’re welcome.

Are you Bentley in disguise??

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 64
brigg_mariner
June 16, 2021, 9:43am

UTM...!!!
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +116
Gold Stars: 5
Is anything happening with this or was it just fake news?

The Icenian Prediction League Winner 2012 (Part 2)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 64
Northbank Mariner
June 16, 2021, 9:48am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Approval: +7,533
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from brigg_mariner
Is anything happening with this or was it just fake news?

Next rumour please ......nothing to see here...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 64
acko338
June 16, 2021, 11:14am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +44 / -6
Approval: +3,212
Gold Stars: 33
Too long a thread - Hurst signs, then advertises, not the other way around !

Self promotion come and get me thread, methinks !

Next surprise, please - very upbeat thus far !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 64
BobbyCummingsTackle
June 16, 2021, 11:28am
Champagne Drinker
I don't want to be unkind to the kid but our signings so far have come from Newport, Scunthorpe, Burton and Wrexham. No need to look at the Icelandic league.

Hurst's mum has not gone to Iceland.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 64
louth_in_the_south
June 16, 2021, 1:38pm

Exile
Hey I got 16 red Xs for saying the same thing a couple of weeks ago 😂

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 64
BobbyCummingsTackle
June 16, 2021, 2:42pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
Hey I got 16 red Xs for saying the same thing a couple of weeks ago 😂

Timing.....

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 64
Mayaman
June 16, 2021, 2:45pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club
Nowadays, nobody would bat an eyelid with the myriad of colours on offer in the modern game.  In those days footie boots were black and only black. I hit upon an ingenious idea.  I'd buy then and paint them.  

Pony ?

Remember them well.[/quote]

Exactly!  I'd forgotten the name.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 64
BobbyCummingsTackle
June 16, 2021, 4:16pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Mayaman

Pony ?

Remember them well.

Exactly!  I'd forgotten the name.

[/quote]

They certainly looked pony when the paint was peeling off them.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 64
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Kian Williams

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.